Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:57:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

[GEEEAARRRR] Electronic drum kit advice wanted

Started by alan nagsworth, March 20, 2020, 01:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I'm learning to play the drums. How's it going? Very well, thanks for asking! I've had two lessons, and the chap says I have natural musicality and I've advanced quickly in that short space of time. I'm currently halfway decent at playing the "kaiser roll" at half speed. in a month or so I plan be loosely slinging out gorgeous Jaki Liebezeit kraut riddims for 20 minutes straight.

However, now social distancing means that the little shed in my tutor's back garden is not an adequate space to visit, and so I want to get myself an electronic drum kit so I can practice by myself with all this spare time that's afforded to me now.

Ideally I'm looking for something around the £250 mark at maximum. I'm happy to buy second hand as long as it's in good condition! I don't know what's good or what's shit so please help me.

Crabwalk

I don't have any recommendations but I think you're going to be a mint drummer Nags.

buzby

It's a bit more expensive than what you are looking to pay (about £350 for the basic kit), but Senri Kawaguchi first learned to play on a Yamaha DTX kit.

rue the polywhirl

Get one of these badboy Alesis Turbo Mesh Kits for £259 https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/turbo-mesh-kit. Or if you can stretch a little bit more get a Roland TD1K for £350.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on March 20, 2020, 04:05:06 PM
Get one of these badboy Alesis Turbo Mesh Kits for £259 https://www.alesis.com/products/view2/turbo-mesh-kit. Or if you can stretch a little bit more get a Roland TD1K for £350.
That Alesis kit looks really good for the price.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Artie Fufkin on March 23, 2020, 12:52:50 PM
That Alesis kit looks really good for the price.

Yesterday I sold my Alesis which I bought second hand in 2015, it looks identical to the one posted here but presumably an earlier model with mediocre stock sounds.  Never played as I realised I just can't play the drums, nor found it useful for drum programming (transpires you still need to know how to play the drums) but the pads were nice and springy and a huge improvement over some of those entry-level Ion things.  If that is how much they cost new, then I would strongly recommend going for it.  If the stock sounds are a bit lame, just USB it with whatever DAW you use - Logic sounds are pretty good these days and then, of course, there are so many other kits you can torrent buy, like EZdrummer et al.

madhair60

alan nagsworth

Yeah I'm considering that Alesis one. Can you only use compatible sound banks for the drum hits or would it be possible for me to easily program it to play the sound of, say, dog barks, or various withered "euuehghgh" sounds Mr Burns makes?

magval

Quote from: PaulTMA on March 23, 2020, 02:40:31 PM
Logic sounds are pretty good these days and then, of course, there are so many other kits you can torrent buy, like EZdrummer et al.

Could you (possibly by PM) provide any more detail on how to do this on a Mac? I'm rubbish at app piracy but don't want to pay for EZ because I couldn't get the hi hat to work right on the trial, but would overlook that if it was free.

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 24, 2020, 10:56:12 AM
Yeah I'm considering that Alesis one. Can you only use compatible sound banks for the drum hits or would it be possible for me to easily program it to play the sound of, say, dog barks, or various withered "euuehghgh" sounds Mr Burns makes?

I think the standard with these things is that you can program your own sounds, yeah. Especially so if you run it through a computer as a Midi controller, you could probably make it sound like whatever you wanted then.

magval

Actually, I'm looking into it now, and I don't think you can load your own sounds onto this one without using a computer as well. Is that how you planned on using it?

alan nagsworth

I'm totally cool with using a computer alongside the kit if it means I can program it to play dog barks

I have a Roland TD-11KV which is a great (piece of) kit for the money - probably not an option at the minute to buy used on Gumtree or eBay, but Roland stuff, while expensive, is sturdy as fuck and the sound banks are pretty damned authentic.

alan nagsworth

Decided to go for the Alesis Nitro kit, as it's fully mesh and it has a kick drum replica with a pad and beater instead of just a pedal. It was about £50 more than the basic Turbo but I think it's worth it, seems to be perfect for beginners.

The fucker is out of stock though so I'm hoping it doesn't take an age for the store to order one in for delivery!

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Crabwalk on March 20, 2020, 02:05:27 PM
I don't have any recommendations but I think you're going to be a mint drummer Nags.

Forgot to reply to this but this is a really sweet comment dude, thank you!