Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 10:12:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ducktails - Watercolors + bandcamp album giveway

Started by rue the polywhirl, March 20, 2020, 06:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rue the polywhirl

Ducktails - a bit of a chequered history especially with his past albums flower lane and st catherine which I believe are adorned with chequered artwork but undeniably Watercolors his current studio album was one of the best if not the greatest release of last year, a blissed out summery blast of 80s-tastic 80s-ness. The lovely and serene bossa of Blue Light should be adopted as a world anthem. And he's also doing a free giveaway of all of his music on band camp, giving back to the community and spreading the cheer in these dark, desperate, coviddy times. I've been meaning to check out Hard Rock Chernobyl.

https://ducktails.bandcamp.com/

For today anyway, less Badman Ducktails, more Goodman Ducktails or St. Ducktails.

holyzombiejesus

yeah, he's a fucking creep and i imagine the only reason he's giving it out for free is that no-one wants to buy the sleazy sex-pest's shitty songs. Hamilton Road was ok i guess.

rue the polywhirl

Bit of a shame that some people can't look past previous transgressions and instead figure Matt Mondanile probably isn't best pleased with all aspects of his past. Watercolors is quite definitely his career best. Really refreshing. Worth a listen through neutral ears.

Enjoyed Watercolors and I do think this bandcamp giveaway levels the playing field regarding past crimes.

Saw this great old video of Real Estate recently: Real Estate | Soirée de Poche #41
At the end they play an early version of "White Light" (which ended up on the next album without him) and his part in the middle is the kind of thing he would always do with their songs. Nothing against JL but MM's playing was perfect in Real Estate and had a little magic to it. He does a lot of house concerts now asking people to message him for the details. Is that because he's a pariah?

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Smeraldina Rima on March 21, 2020, 02:19:24 PM
Enjoyed Watercolors and I do think this bandcamp giveaway levels the playing field regarding past crimes.

Really?

No, sorry, an inappropriate joke which I can't see the point of now.

I've been up all night and think I might have the Coronavirus. And weekender hacked my account.

Schnapple

Really loved it that time he gave away some profit from a release to a women's charity and I thought, "Fair play, maybe he gets it?" Then literally the next day he went online to whinge that nobody had thanked him for the gesture.

Flower Lane is a superb record, but in this case the knowledge of what a creep/tit this bloke is has ruined it for me. Fortunately, I don't have to go to actively listen to it anymore, given that I hear it about every one in three visits to a coffee shop. Seems to have been lapped in recent times by Tirzah, mind.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on March 21, 2020, 01:13:01 PM
Bit of a shame

Is it though? Because I find it a bit of a shame people will freely piss any semblance of moral fibre down the drain just so they can go on listening to a couple of albums, a couple of hours of good music, in a world where there are billions of hours or other music to listen to, a great deal of which weren't made by horrid sex offenders. I'm pretty much at the point now where I can't stomach listening to David Bowie or Iggy Pop any more so ignoring this fucking twerp is no skin off my balls whatsoever. Not even a second thought.

If you can go on listening to "Watercolors" with nary a second thought to the people who suffered at the hands of this narcissist prick and be like "this is good music, I don't feel bad about this at all!" then I think it shows a great deal of ignorance, and ultimately, weakness. You are a Louis CK apologist though so this is probably just small potatoes to you.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 22, 2020, 11:00:00 AM
Is it though? Because I find it a bit of a shame people will freely piss any semblance of moral fibre down the drain just so they can go on listening to a couple of albums, a couple of hours of good music, in a world where there are billions of hours or other music to listen to, a great deal of which weren't made by horrid sex offenders. I'm pretty much at the point now where I can't stomach listening to David Bowie or Iggy Pop any more so ignoring this fucking twerp is no skin off my balls whatsoever. Not even a second thought.

If you can go on listening to "Watercolors" with nary a second thought to the people who suffered at the hands of this narcissist prick and be like "this is good music, I don't feel bad about this at all!" then I think it shows a great deal of ignorance, and ultimately, weakness. You are a Louis CK apologist though so this is probably just small potatoes to you.

I'm aware of the Bowie stuff, but what's the dodginess Iggy's associated with?

rue the polywhirl

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 22, 2020, 11:00:00 AM

Never been a Louis CK apologist. I do generally think that people should be allowed to follow a redemptive path, draw a line and move on however. And that it is possible for allegations and stories and first-hand accounts to weigh very heavily on the mind and still appreciate Watercolors as a very good album. It is a light breezy work on the surface but with a massive undercurrent of confliction, remorse, bitterness and regret, which makes it more interesting than billions of other musics out there. Also being able to not nearly stomach Bowie is practically insanity.