Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:13:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Animal Crossing: Island of Sin

Started by Kelvin, March 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Thought it was a bit daft for us all to be posting about in the Switch thread, especially as it seems like there might be a few of us who are brand new to the series.

My only exposure to Animal Crossing prior to this game was when my friend had it at uni, and we all used to race home from shopping / days out, just so we could collectively listen to KK Slider sing his amazing dog song at the same time every week.

On the subject of KK, I love that there's a whole sub-culture of people who make songs in his bizarre style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvlYPbfZvLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhIICPHmJuQ

Deyv

Not a huuuuuge Animal Crossing fan, because I've never played it. My sister absolutely loves it, though, so I know that Tom Nook is the bad guy. But those links are hilarious, thanks for sharing!

peanutbutter

I got super into the Gamecube game when I was 13, so did a few other family members who never played games. When I heard it was coming out on the DS I both was like "that's fantastic, that'll suit portable far more" and  "meh, been there done that".

Get the impression New Leaf added a lot but wasn't convinced to try it at the time for whatever reason. If I had a Switch I 100% would've gotten this one today. Remains to be seen if I get one in a couple of weeks, the temptation is strong but I'm haemorrhaging money on dumb shit.

Kelvin

Not gonna turn this into a KK cover thread, but I think this might be the best one I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV0EutH9F9M

Actually got chills at the chorus, which is too ridiculous for words, really.

Mister Six

Haven't played Animal Crossing since my dad got addicted to the fishing and basically took over the Gamecube, but I'm addicted to these KK Slider "covers". Bille Ellish's "Bad Guy" is especially great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiB5AkuARQ0

rack and peanut

Haven't played it since the GameCube, but seeing as I'm going to be indoors a lot I ordered it a few days ago. So far I've chatted to my neighbours, picked up weeds & stones, made an axe, swung said axe around and dipped my rod into something wet until it broke.

Deyv

Quote from: rack and peanut on March 20, 2020, 10:40:30 PM
Haven't played it since the GameCube, but seeing as I'm going to be indoors a lot I ordered it a few days ago. So far I've chatted to my neighbours, picked up weeds & stones, made an axe, swung said axe around and dipped my rod into something wet until it broke.

Shouldn't you be playing Animal Crossing?

imitationleather

I'm waiting for these cowboys to build my fucking house.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on March 20, 2020, 10:05:03 PM
Not gonna turn this into a KK cover thread, but I think this might be the best one I've heard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV0EutH9F9M

Actually got chills at the chorus, which is too ridiculous for words, really.

Sorry, you actually think this is good? Jesus fucking christ

madhair60

I'm sorry I'm very scared of the virus.

Kelvin

Quote from: madhair60 on March 21, 2020, 12:02:00 AM
I'm sorry I'm very scared of the virus.

Well, don't hold off getting it on my account.

Spoiler alert
;)
[close]

Thursday

Copy should arrive tomorrow, bought it on a bit of a whim, even though you know, it's definitely meant for Children.

Dewt

Sheffield Wednesday

I just want to make an aquarium and fill it to the brim

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 21, 2020, 07:43:49 AM
I just want to make an aquarium and fill it to the brim

Me too, but I don't want any fish or water.

Sheffield Wednesday

I already love this. I've only done my first day and already wish I'd started it sooner so I could get the next things going. I foolishly spent my Nook Miles on tool recipes which I can't make yet because I don't have the materials. I should have bought the tour ticket for the airport. Anyway, stuff to look forward to tomorrow. The fishing and catching bugs is going to consume a lot of my life now. It's the perfect complement to trying to 1CC Ketsui: Kizuna Jikoku Tachi.

I really like my island and neighbours. Can't wait to build bridges over to the other sections!

imitationleather

I just got the pole vault. Boooooooing.

colacentral

I opened up my airport gate to let my girlfriend visit and at that exact moment a random stranger walked through, shitting me right up. A minute later: "I'm Kelvin."

Sorry my island's shite at the moment.

Dewt

Quote from: Sheffield Wednesday on March 21, 2020, 11:18:44 AMI foolishly spent my Nook Miles on tool recipes which I can't make yet because I don't have the materials.
You just need to twat a rock with a tool to get iron from it. Don't do what I do and twat it with a shovel after eating fruit (i.e. when the fruit counter is higher than 0/10) as that will permanently dig up the rock. You want to keep the rocks around so they are permanent sources of iron.

Dewt

"All of the rocks you break will respawn, but note that only one rock will respawn each day. In other words, if you break six rocks today, you'll only have one rock tomorrow."

Ah, good.

Sheffield Wednesday

Website is too slow at the moment for whatever reason so I can't be bothered posting. Waiting minutes to load threads so just catch you guys on AC.

imitationleather

Visiting islands just to cut down all their trees and nick everything does make me feel like a bastard Amazon logger. I like it!

Dewt

Yeah, it's nice to have throwaway islands that you can use for resource collection. Allows everything on your own island to be purely for cultivation and decoration.

Dewt

We should arrange some visits between us players. I keep opening up my gate but none of you are telling me about Phaedra.

rack and peanut

Those bastard tarantulas are genuinely terrifying

Dewt

I was loping around with medicine in my inventory thinking it would mean I could get up again if one of the bastards bit me, but nope

Dewt

They only seem to attack if you're wielding the net.

BTW, wait until you get sent to Tarantula Island

Sheffield Wednesday

Day two, this is great (and the forum seems to have recovered, as well). Shop is on the way, museum too. Met Gulliver, done a bit of travelling, stocked up on turnips and paid off my house. Got a lil Koi and a record player. If this is my life for the next three months and change, I can live with it very happily. Given that it will actually involve over a year and massive social adjustments, I will look forward to seeing the seasons change.

colacentral

I've got the pole vault today and I can't believe how much bigger the island feels once you cross over the river. Maybe that's just a trick of the mind having spent a couple of days in the first small section but still, definitely feels bigger than New Leaf's town.

Another two hours spent clearing weeds. Been digging up a few trees to make space. Got a cooler box and bonfire going on the beach. I had to force myself to stop because I'm in the middle of moving house and have to pack boxes and clean in the real world, which is much less addictive.