Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:44:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Animal Crossing: Island of Sin

Started by Kelvin, March 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Post a Dodo code on Twitter with the hashtag #acnh or search "latest tweets" for "dodo code" if you want some wild times (apples)

kittens

need 2 cherries TODAY. please let me come and take your cherries

Fry

I also need fruit. I've undertaken operation "dig up and replant every tree into an orderly, well spaced forest" and it has eaten up all of my resources. If someone has lots of fruit please let me come to their island and fucking strip it clean.

kittens

those twin idiots are selling fucking cherries in the shop!!! over the moon here lads

kittens

and i just received two cherries in the post from thursday! thanks man. now i have too many cherries

Abnormal Palm

It may just be that I'm still working full time so knackered but I am thoroughly bored with this after the initial burst of excitement. I liked how structured the opening week was, with new options and discoveries and neighbours and buildings. Since the Residence Services kicked in properly, it feels like I'm just repeating myself to buy furniture and expected to ride the meme wave, which does nothing for me.

Kelvin

I'll open my island tonight and stick out a bunch of fruit. If anyone has an orange or an apple, I'd accept it gracefully.

imitationleather

Quote from: Dewt on March 31, 2020, 01:15:38 AM
Post a Dodo code on Twitter with the hashtag #acnh or search "latest tweets" for "dodo code" if you want some wild times (apples)

Ah this was a good tip. Now I have peaches, apples, cherries, pears and coconuts. Safe!

Kelvin

Quote from: Abnormal Palm on March 31, 2020, 04:25:04 PM
It may just be that I'm still working full time so knackered but I am thoroughly bored with this after the initial burst of excitement. I liked how structured the opening week was, with new options and discoveries and neighbours and buildings. Since the Residence Services kicked in properly, it feels like I'm just repeating myself to buy furniture and expected to ride the meme wave, which does nothing for me.

I'm absolutely loving the game, truly loving it. My sleep pattern is messed up at the moment, so I was still awake this morning at 5 o'clock, figured I might as well see the new things I'd bought. I'm not sure if anyone else here has been daft enough to play this at 5 in the morning, but it's one of the most beautiful, transcendent experiences I've ever had in a game. The world is bathed in a a soft green light, the water's more translucent, the clouds take on a contrast with the soft blue of the sky, and the low sun keeps hitting the camera on the beach. It's sort of alien and unreal, especially with the dedicated music that plays just for that one hour.

https://youtu.be/mXLiNTEwcbQ

I walked around in awe of how peaceful it was, how good it made me feel, hardly doing any jobs, just admiring my handiwork from the last 60 hours, laying out a few presents from the morning mail. It was almost anti-gaming; I didnt actually want to do anything except soak in the ambiance and live in that moment.

I think, fundamentally, the game is best enjoyed as a massive creative project, not just a tick box of things you have to do for Tom Nook, but something you have your own specific creative vision for. Since the start, I've had a very specific idea of what I'm working towards, with every area of the island feeding into that theme, and an ambitious focal point I'm not even close to completing after 65 hours. That way, there's always a reason for me to come back, I constantly have something to work towards, and I can't just stick out any old stuff I get given, I have to pick the right stuff, make the right stuff, and rework the island to suit it. It's the most fun I've had creatively in a game since Mario Maker 1.

Abnormal Palm

Can I ask to what end is the fruit collecting? I still have trees full of voluptuous ass and I have no interest in anything else.

And cheers for the reply, Kelvin. I daresay a lot of it is just that I'm knackered. The last week or so I was mostly working from home and I adored the first few days day but now I just don't have the same motivation to do anything. I turn on, tick a few boxes and switch off. It's not a criticism of the game, or anything other an acknowledgement that I don't want to do any tasks after a really full on stressful day of work. I found it perfect for isolation but given that we've transitioned back to working on site, I'm not getting the same opportunity and so I feel like I have to 'get things done' now that I have a lot less time, and it's not really that easy kind of game, as you say.

I totally agree about the different times of day, by the way. My sleep has been fucked too and early mornings are stunning, you're right. Those first days I was playing from 4am, excited for the 6am resets and they were wonderful little quiet moments while my wife was asleep and I had nothing to do besides log on for the odd meeting for the rest of the day.

brat-sampson

I almost feel greedy for asking considering the size of the ask and the breadth of content already in it, but I do think the biggest updates they could provide for this would be extra animations. There are so many items that I think would be great to have, only to remember/realise that you can't actually use them,even on a basic level. I was stoked for my loft bed, but you can't get in it. A bike would be cool, but you can't ride it (I get this one would be asking a lot) the outdoor pool is lovely but you can't get in it, etc etc. So many items do have interactions, which I love, but it's always a shame when some don't.

I'm loving how elements are coming together now, like I can see a picnic table and know that I want that for my beach party area, spot a telescope and know I want to have it on a cliff or a pier. A villager will give me a toilet and I know that, while it's no good for the kitchen I'm trying to build, my future bathroom would be incomplete without it, etc.

Dewt

The key to enjoying this game is to always have a project on the go, like Fry's fruit forest.

Abnormal Palm

That's a good tip, as per Kelvin's plan in mind. I guess I don't have any plans as of yet - and I'm not very enthused by the Sylvanian Family dolls house stuff in general. In fact, I don't like any game where the aim is to create anything. I'm creative in the ways that I can express hatred or excitement or lacrimose ecstasy but not in the sense of designing a carpet.

Dewt

It doesn't have to be particularly creative, just anal. Make a field with every possible kind of flower and fruit tree, for example. Try to get all the rocks in one location.

rack and peanut

I'm online, SW-7316-3899-5388
I'll leave some oranges outside the airport, I dont have many cos i planted some, apples are plentiful!
Sahara is in town, don't know if she appears randomly or on everyone's island at the same time.

I visited briefly but had to put my girls to bed. Enjoy the superb gifts I left you.

rack and peanut

Thanks for shitting out a pear! Hope you enjoyed the tune

Dewt

Kelvin

Just doing some jobs in the real world, but I'll be on around 9 and will leave my gates open so all my handsome boys can wander in.

Anyone doing the turnip thing?

Dodo code BNGH4

I may be standing around motionless. There are oranges on my trees.

Dewt

How are you all preventing your Switchs from sleeping when you leave them on?

Dewt

Drives me crazy that every time you fail to find an island to connect to you have to go through the entire Dodo dialogue tree again, including waiting to connect to the ol' Internet.

Kelvin

My islands open, have cherries by the ton.

kittens

what's your switch code good buddy

Quote from: Dewt on March 31, 2020, 08:41:30 PM
How are you all preventing your Switchs from sleeping when you leave them on?

I didn't, just left it open and when I had finished my dinner it was off. Don't know if I had any visitors or not.

DocDaneeka

I think I need a dodo code, I've got Kelvin as a switch friend but that doesn't seem to be good enough.

Kelvin

Sorry, I sent a postcard just afterwards, and idiot dodo closed the gate without me realising.

Dodo code is L6KWG

colacentral

Quote from: Kelvin on March 31, 2020, 05:19:50 PM
I'm absolutely loving the game, truly loving it. My sleep pattern is messed up at the moment, so I was still awake this morning at 5 o'clock, figured I might as well see the new things I'd bought. I'm not sure if anyone else here has been daft enough to play this at 5 in the morning, but it's one of the most beautiful, transcendent experiences I've ever had in a game. The world is bathed in a a soft green light, the water's more translucent, the clouds take on a contrast with the soft blue of the sky, and the low sun keeps hitting the camera on the beach. It's sort of alien and unreal, especially with the dedicated music that plays just for that one hour.

https://youtu.be/mXLiNTEwcbQ

I walked around in awe of how peaceful it was, how good it made me feel, hardly doing any jobs, just admiring my handiwork from the last 60 hours, laying out a few presents from the morning mail. It was almost anti-gaming; I didnt actually want to do anything except soak in the ambiance and live in that moment.

I think, fundamentally, the game is best enjoyed as a massive creative project, not just a tick box of things you have to do for Tom Nook, but something you have your own specific creative vision for. Since the start, I've had a very specific idea of what I'm working towards, with every area of the island feeding into that theme, and an ambitious focal point I'm not even close to completing after 65 hours. That way, there's always a reason for me to come back, I constantly have something to work towards, and I can't just stick out any old stuff I get given, I have to pick the right stuff, make the right stuff, and rework the island to suit it. It's the most fun I've had creatively in a game since Mario Maker 1.

Been too busy to play the last few days so I'm a bit gutted this thread's really kicked off. Posting now though to say I agree with everything you've written here, particularly comparing it to Mario Maker and calling it a creativity game. Another comparison could be Mario Paint. There is no point, it's just a sandbox in which you get out of it what you put in.

imitationleather

All I need now is some god damn bamboo.