Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:11:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Animal Crossing: Island of Sin

Started by Kelvin, March 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: thelittlemango on May 30, 2020, 11:21:49 AM
For those still playing this, what sort of pleasure are you getting from it? What keeps you playing? I notice a drop off in people playing beyond a certain point and am considering buying it but not if it loses it's appeal quickly.

I've put hundreds of hours into it, and although I only check in for an hour or so every day now, I'm still enjoying the game enormously. it's great. The real key is having a project on the go at all times, both on a micro and macro level. Have individual plans for each area, and a bigger plan for your whole island, then work towards that every day that you play it. The game definitely demands more of your time after about a week of playing, and then demands much less once you've achieved your main vision for the island. But after hundreds of hours, I'm still popping in to see the latest stuff in the shops and work on bits here and there.

How much you'll get out of it ultimately depends on how creative you are, and how much you enjoy that loop of building, farming, tasks, and decorating. Clearly if that sort of thing isn't your bag, it won't hold your interest for as long.

Thanks, it sounds great and I love the focus on creativity rather than traditional narrative so think I'll pick it up. I just  have flashbacks from when I used to play Harvest Moon on the Gameboy Color and once the few rpg elements dried up I realised I was essentially doing admin work, sounds like this has a lot more potential for design, I'm curious to see how the limits can be pushed and how elaborate you can build a theme.

Abnormal Palm

I stopped playing very shortly after the 'credits' rolled at around 40hrs, but as an indicator of how charming and engaging it was for that time, I still feel guilty about abandoning my starting villagers. And I don't want to turn it back on in case they've abandoned me. I know that sounds like I'm being melodramatic to be cute or funny but I'm actually being very straightforward. It's a game that rather gets under your skin and fosters attachments.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: thelittlemango on May 30, 2020, 11:34:46 AM
Thanks, it sounds great and I love the focus on creativity rather than traditional narrative so think I'll pick it up. I just  have flashbacks from when I used to play Harvest Moon on the Gameboy Color and once the few rpg elements dried up I realised I was essentially doing admin work, sounds like this has a lot more potential for design, I'm curious to see how the limits can be pushed and how elaborate you can build a theme.

Have a look at the AC Reddits. People have done incredibly beautiful things. Although don't look if you're easily disheartened at how pitiful your own shit efforts look after 300 hours.

I think the lockdown has rushed people through the initial stages in a compressed amount of calendar time, but it takes well over 100 hours of play before you've finished the basics. And unlike previous Animal Crossings, it seems like the admin actually reduces at that point and you're left with a lot more purely creative options.

Famous Mortimer

I missed all these, but I'll go and give it a try now.

Hobo

'nips are 351 this afternoon.

If anyone is interested, I'll open the gates later.

Kelvin

Quote from: Hobo on June 02, 2020, 01:18:04 PM
'nips are 351 this afternoon.

If anyone is interested, I'll open the gates later.

Yes, please!

Hobo

I'm going to be working later than I'd hoped, I'll open the gates, but may be inanimate, so don't think I'm being rude. Amy recipes outside the museum are free to take.

code: H2W0V

Kelvin

Thanks, hobo. You've got a nice island, there.

Hobo

Ta. Forgot to say, Carpet Camel is around somewhere.

Still working unfortunately...

Famous Mortimer

Oooh, your island is lovely. Hello, fisherperson.

Makes mine look like I moved in yesterday :(

Hobo

Ta. Difficult as its shared between wife and young kids too, so mostly I'm cleaning up after them (much like real life).

Famous Mortimer

Well, I've finally got all the different sorts of fruit now, and I bought two nets for a mini football pitch yesterday, but I've been farting around and haven't got KK Slider to come to the island yet, so I guess I ought to get cracking with that.

DocDaneeka

Bored so opening up my island to get rid of some fossils and diys. Come take what you want. Still want a Juramaia fossil if anyone has it.

528SR

Famous Mortimer

Dammit, I really need to get my island looking better.

Mango Chimes

I'm disappointed in this wedding task. Just dump some of the same wedding furniture in a room every day.

Kelvin

Quote from: Mango Chimes on June 09, 2020, 10:05:40 PM
I'm disappointed in this wedding task. Just dump some of the same wedding furniture in a room every day.

None of them have been very good, tbh. In fact, even though the balance was off, I actually think the bunny day stuff was the best they've done so far, as it was more involved. If they had made the eggs harder to obtain, it would have been fine.

Mango Chimes

Bunny Day was awful, went on for far too long, the rabbit terrifying and the items all look hideous. I was expecting the wedding tasks to become more like Label's, with wider themes than "a wedding in pink and white" to encourage you to use your own furniture. "Today we want a musical wedding!"

The May Day thing with the maze and Rover was good. I want more of those.

Bunny Day was a victim of everyone piling hours a day into the game at the start of lockdown so they had it done in an afternoon.

I think it would work better now that most players are settled and only popping on to do basic housekeeping.

amnesiac

hey Kelvin I have a friend on Switch called you, and your name pops up while I'm playing, i bet it was from my days when I used to post here! I think i'm akf2000 or something. Is your island all posh like the ones I see on Twitter?

Kelvin

Quote from: amnesiac on June 15, 2020, 09:10:53 AM
hey Kelvin I have a friend on Switch called you, and your name pops up while I'm playing, i bet it was from my days when I used to post here! I think i'm akf2000 or something. Is your island all posh like the ones I see on Twitter?

You can check it out if you like, I've actually just completed the entire project in the last week, so was gonna ask if people here wanted to do a final visit before I finally draw a line under the game. Maybe one evening later this week?

DocDaneeka

Will you give me all your rusted parts then?

Thursday

I got a "rusted part" for you right here buddy.

McQ

I got this game a month later than most people because I didn't have a Switch at the start of lockdown and they were impossible to get hold of, so my obsession with this game is hitting its peak about now, just as everyone else's interest begins to wane.

I've had quite the journey with Animal Crossing (or Animal Collective as I keep accidentally calling it). I'm up to four stars at the moment and Isabelle keeps insisting that I need to chop down more trees, which I don't really want to do. She just doesn't understand my aesthetic. When I started out my strategy was to dig up trees from all the islands I visited using Nook Miles and bring them home to plant on my island. Then, every day, I would go around chopping all the trees with a stone axe to harvest a load of wood and fruit, and then I'd spend hours mass producing whatever the hot item was to make as many bells as possible. I've become quite attached to those trees! But I'm wadded now so I don't need to do this as much, and after about an hour spent reluctantly chopping trees down to thin things out, I'm still not down below the number required to satisfy Isabelle. I won't worry about it too much. But anyway, I keep hopping onto this game for a quick ten minute sesh, and then entire days pass as I follow up on little whims and enjoy the dying of the light (rather than raging against it). Checked the stats and I've logged about three hundo hours on it. I came up with a great idea yesterday, but muttered, "Oh fuck," to myself as I realised how time consuming it was likely to be whilst also knowing that I definitely was going to follow through on it. I'm just about getting to the stage of sorting out the main bit of the island and a big bit of the island across the river. Initially I was insistent that I wasn't going to do any terraforming, and instead just work with the natural surroundings, but then I got very into it, and now I'm spending hours moving mountains and feeling like a god. I'm also currently obsessed with trying to collect all the different kinds of cardboard box and I also need about twenty tires for a project (caught one whilst fishing yesterday and couldn't contain my delight) and loads of bamboo shoots. And rusted parts, of course.

I am also worried about my brain.

Edit: Would love to visit people's islands if they're opening them up!

brat-sampson

I'm developing a major flower problem, and I'm too lazy to actually go around digging them all up. They keep spreading! I'm getting a good selection of colours for if I ever want to make something nice, but right now there are just too many and it's all very disorganised.

McQ

This relates to my time consuming project that I mentioned. I've been planting flower beds using the dark dirt paths and then walling them in with stone paving. And I was colour coordinating them and then halfway through realised I could go further and colour coordinate them with my island flag, so I need loads of hybrids (orange and pink hyacinths) now, which I'm in the middle of growing!

McQ

If I'd put even a third as much of the effort into anything in my real life as I have into Animal Collective, I mean Crossing, then I'd have been a very successful man.

Mango Chimes

We're due an update announcement, aren't we? There's two weeks left of the Wedding Season, but it's finished already unless you want a lot of wedding benches for some reason.

I'm expecting Brewster, maybe Nook's Cranny v3. Maybe Kapp'n. Museum expansion at some point, because each section has a roped off door and there's a Nook Miles goal for assessing far more fossils than you have any need to do.

No idea what calendar events might be coming up, but I hope we see more of Rover's puzzle island.

McQ

My number one dream would be extra rooms in your house. I've turned my basement into an experimental music venue based on SuperDeluxe in Tokyo (sadly now closed), my back room into a small cinema, the room off to the side just has an asteroid floating in it so that you can pretend you've gotten trapped between realms, the room off to the other side I've made into swimming baths, and upstairs is a weird laboratory-type space. So now I've got nowhere to sleep, prepare food, or perform my ablutions. Maybe I'll create a second profile so I can have two houses on my island.

Kelvin

I'm opening up my gates, if anyone wants to have a nose around my finished island. Will be on till about 7.

Edit: dodo code 66857