Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:46:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Animal Crossing: Island of Sin

Started by Kelvin, March 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imitationleather

The metal axe makes me feel powerful in a world where I so rarely do.

Dewt

Stumps are nice to have

I'm cunting up the entire island of trees and then planting them where I want them to be. I'll get most of my wood from journeys to other islands.

Dewt

Tom Nook just sent me a DIY recipe for a big stinking bucket of fucking cum

Kelvin

brat-sampson

Wake up, check the island. Museum's being built, but no Blathers today by the looks of things... Prang some rocks, get enough iron to make the shop, so now that's being built too.

Guess I'm done for the day. Maybe some idle bug-catching/fishing to inch towards the debt, might visit a Mystery Island, but otherwise, slow day on Pangea Mk2. Oh, but tomorrow...

The museum is beautiful. The graphics are lovely anyway, but they really pushed the boat out with the museum.

Warning to those building the museum: You can donate multiple items in one go. Convenient. However, I donated all of my findings to Blathers in bulk, thinking I'd be able to talk to him about them later. Alas, once they are in, they are in. If you want to hear Blathers' descriptions, you need to find another one of the same creature in the wild and bring it to him to ask him about it.

Paid off my house loan now and Nook's building my first extension. Building that shop too. I've also bought some new clothes because the initial t-shirt and the cap and shorts I was gifted made me look a bit too much like Kenny Everett near the end, and I don't need that energy on my island, thanks.

colacentral

I made a nice outdoor urinal with lattice fence surrounding it and two tiki torches at the entrance. Also have two beach hangout spots with music playing at each. I'm fully addicted, it's a life ruiner.

imitationleather

colacentral

I should have clarified: I'm a receptionist at A&E.

brat-sampson

managed to get the first proper House upgrade today in the end, no small thanks to a surprise balloon with 30k in it.

Tomorrow is going to be when my whole island pops. The Fuck. off.

imitationleather

Dewt

I want a gyroid

Put gyroids back in this

Timothy

Just a quick note to let you all know that only the first player (the resident player) can progress the island. I'm the second player and I'm restricted to being a villager. Can't bring items to Nook, can't help build the museum and bridges, don't get recipes etc from Nook but can only buy them.

More info here:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-03-24-animal-crossing-new-horizons-owners-surprised-to-find-progress-tied-to-first-resident

Beware before you start and island if you want to share them with siblings/partner/etc.

Dewt

Did anybody else get siblings? Does the game set it up that way or did I just get lucky with these two sweeties?

https://imgur.com/oxzEC5V

I feel bad about sending a letter to the one on the right asking "What dat mouth do?".

brat-sampson

I've got 3 villagers on the way, no idea if they'll be matchey matchey or not. Spent a good while today sorting the museum out, getting the 3 housing plots organised and exploring the upper echelons of the island with me Ladder. It is very satisfying to just get into for an hour or two each day, see what's going on, get some shit made, buy a cool fucking t-shirt etc.

Kelvin

My one complaint is that the online service is awful, as usual. I keep seeing friends saying they're online (which I assume means they have opened their gates), but I still can't visit. It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't just visit any island that's approved visitors, whether they're friends or not. I just want to sell my hoard of cherries and have a look around what people have made. I've no idea why they have to make is so complicated. Especially galling when you have to click through the pages of Dodo options before you hear the magic word; "Drumsticks!" 

Dewt

Quote from: Kelvin on March 25, 2020, 07:03:50 PM
My one complaint is that the online service is awful, as usual. I keep seeing friends saying they're online (which I assume means they have opened their gates)
Nope, I think it just means they're playing the game. Being told that their gates are open would actually be useful. I see friends (mainly you) playing all the time and check the airport every time I play but never successfully get to visit.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dewt on March 25, 2020, 07:24:14 PM
Nope, I think it just means they're playing the game. Being told that their gates are open would actually be useful. I see friends (mainly you) playing all the time and check the airport every time I play but never successfully get to visit.

I don't mean the usual Switch message "X is online" thing in the top left, I mean a dedicated in-game "I'm online" that appears in a speech bubble. I assumed that meant they had opened access to their island. It doesn't appear every time a person is playing. 

I did actually open my island up earlier today, but no-one arrived. More than anything, Nintendo's online services are borked by a complete inability to invite and communicate with people easily.

Dewt

Quote from: Kelvin on March 25, 2020, 07:33:39 PM
I don't mean the usual Switch message "X is online" thing in the top left, I mean a dedicated in-game "I'm online" that appears in a speech bubble. I assumed that meant they had opened access to their island. It doesn't appear every time a person is playing. 
Me too. I'm pretty sure that just means they're playing the game. It's completely useless because it just replicates the built-in Switch saying "Kelvin is playing Animal Crossing" screen. It would be GREAT if it told you if their gate was open.

Dewt

What you CAN do I guess is message everyone who appears online in that list. So I'm going to start sending "gates are open" messages. And that only works for people you have already successfully visited/been visited by, which for me is just you.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dewt on March 25, 2020, 07:48:34 PM
What you CAN do I guess is message everyone who appears online in that list. So I'm going to start sending "gates are open" messages. And that only works for people you have already successfully visited/been visited by, which for me is just you.

I'll do the same.

I've read online, although I don't know how accurate it is, that the reason you* often can't connect if because your friends are in menus, shops or conversations, and if you just retry a few times, they'll eventually be free. If so, they should make that much clearer. 

*I initially wrote "he", as if the Dodo is actually scouring the internet for you.

Dewt

Dodo Codes might be better. I think it uses some sort of lobby system...

Dewt

Dodo code: <expired>

I'm just gonna leave the game open with that and anybody who wants to can join so we can start building up a network of people

Dewt

Here's a link to a Google spreadsheet that you can dump your code in when you're online
Just put "not online" when you're done

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rdlFcg2NxJ7G2pZBV1owMFK-zaKoFHG5wflWrD3aCNI/edit?usp=sharing

Dewt

Sorry Kelvin I went to feed my cats and then my Switch went to sleep

colacentral

Sorry, I haven't been arsed about opening my gate the last few days as I've been busy and just wanted to get all my game jobs done. I'm going to start opening it as soon as I go on and leave it like that I think. Though sending a "gate open" message would be handy too.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dewt on March 25, 2020, 10:34:13 PM
Sorry Kelvin I went to feed my cats and then my Switch went to sleep

Ha, guessed as much. I lost everything, a huge eel I caught, some fruit to plant and 40,000 bells from the rat cunts

Dewt

Oh you're kidding, it wipes your stuff if you don't check out? Awful

Dewt

I figured not being able to rearrange your house or buy things with the terminal when your gates were open was because of some game logic issue. Fair enough, I thought.

But then I noticed you can manually place and move items in your house, it just doesn't let you use the convenient editor mode.[nb]With my developer hat on I can KIND OF see why they did this, if they didn't have time to write the logic. So maybe it will be fixed in a later update. But I don't get it. And I REALLY don't get not being able to use the terminal to buy things, there's no interaction between that and visitors at all.[/nb] OISJDOIJSDOSD. It wouldn't be Nintendo if the online functionality wasn't perversely screwed up.