Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:33:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Animal Crossing: Island of Sin

Started by Kelvin, March 20, 2020, 08:07:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: Kelvin on June 21, 2020, 05:44:05 PM
I'm opening up my gates, if anyone wants to have a nose around my finished island. Will be on till about 7.

Sorry, dodo code is 66857

colacentral

Quote from: McQ on June 17, 2020, 10:36:28 PM
My number one dream would be extra rooms in your house. I've turned my basement into an experimental music venue based on SuperDeluxe in Tokyo (sadly now closed), my back room into a small cinema, the room off to the side just has an asteroid floating in it so that you can pretend you've gotten trapped between realms, the room off to the other side I've made into swimming baths, and upstairs is a weird laboratory-type space. So now I've got nowhere to sleep, prepare food, or perform my ablutions. Maybe I'll create a second profile so I can have two houses on my island.

Extra rooms and other increasingly extravagant home additions / customisation would be nice as a way to incentivise continued bell grinding, as would the ability to upgrade villagers' homes, as I feel bad for them all living in one room shacks with no space to put up all the shit I'm gifting them. There are tons of other small things like that which would give the game a bit more longevity and it baffles me that after all these years the game is still essentially the same as it was on the gamecube.

My number one suggestion would be to add a mario paint type interface to the instruments to programme them to play what you want rather than just random notes. That seems like such a no brainer to me.

McQ

Suddenly got a five star island the other day without expecting to, so that was nice! I've probably sunk my rating already now, though, because I'm moving my rocks so the island is just covered with mannequins. Also working some major infrastructure projects so a lot of my villagers are trapped. Making sure I go and visit them all to keep morale up. Apart from the one who I don't like, I want their morale to sink so they'll think about leaving.

Has anyone managed to craft a robot hero yet? I'm miles off, it feels like. I've got 11 rusted parts and enough gold, and a friend helped me out with the gold armour DIY, but I still need a rocket and the remaining 19 parts! Feels like it's never going to happen. I did find out that you can speed things up by offering to help Gulliver, but then keeping all his communicator parts in your pocket until the next day, by which time they will have rusted.

McQ

Quote from: colacentral on June 22, 2020, 06:06:49 PM
My number one suggestion would be to add a mario paint type interface to the instruments to programme them to play what you want rather than just random notes. That seems like such a no brainer to me.

I assumed you could do this when I'd seen that you're able to change your island theme*, but no. The closest you can get to it is if you put an instrument in the same vicinity as a record player or a radio, then you can sort of play along with it and the notes will match, just about.

*I changed mine to an approximation of The Best Show theme, because I've been listening to old episodes whilst I do the more laborious stuff like terraforming, but then Tom and Julie took the piss out of the game on Double Threat the other day, so I don't think he'd appreciate the gesture. Double Threat sucks, though. It's no Best Show (circa 2008).

Mango Chimes

For a five star, do you need furniture in every square on the map? I can't find a proper guide that is more than padding out Isabelle's advice.

Quote from: colacentral on June 22, 2020, 06:06:49 PMExtra rooms and other increasingly extravagant home additions / customisation would be nice as a way to incentivise continued bell grinding, as would the ability to upgrade villagers' homes, as I feel bad for them all living in one room shacks with no space to put up all the shit I'm gifting them. There are tons of other small things like that which would give the game a bit more longevity and it baffles me that after all these years the game is still essentially the same as it was on the gamecube.

They have fixed things, but some of the things they haven't are weird. For a game that relies on you speaking to characters every day, there's not enough dialogue. Why is Wisp giving me ten pages of the same explanation every time I see him?

I don't think they'll add extra rooms to your own house, but helping your neighbours do a bit of decorating would be good. As would custom exhibitions and more storage.

Famous Mortimer

Thursday

I've not played this in a few days, so now I can't ever go back in case everyone is mad at me.

McQ

Anyone willing to come and water my flowers for me? Apparently that increases your chances of getting hybrids, and I've suddenly decided I need loads more orange and purple hyacinths. I'll of course return the favour, if you need me to!

Also, I'm trying to complete the set of cardboard boxes. I have the apple and the peach variety so far. Does anyone fancy doing a touch trade? That's where you drop an item and then someone can pick it up, then give it back to you, and it'll show up in the Nook Shopping app to order for the next day.

I'm now realising that it's probably quite patronising that I've just explained that, but just in case people didn't know what I was on about!

Kelvin

Can't stop thinking about Roald...

Been thinking about him non-stop for days.

Chedney Honks

I can understand. Feel like pure shit just want Roald back.

Yesssss! Gigi, the pointless frog is moving out. Hope I get a decent replacement.

Kelvin

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on July 17, 2020, 06:37:43 PM
Yesssss! Gigi, the pointless frog is moving out. Hope I get a decent replacement.

You can choose a replacement by touring islands using Nook Tickets. Just keep doing it until you find one you want, then invite them to your island.

EDIT: You have to wait until the day after the old character moves out. Before that, the new ones won't appear on the islands, and a day later and the game will automatically choose one for you. It has to be the day after they move out.

Kelvin

Quite a lot of stuff incoming, including Dream Suite (visit other islands?), and some sort of backup in case you lose your island. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0abyMullIs

Quote from: Kelvin on July 17, 2020, 06:45:13 PM
You can choose a replacement by touring islands using Nook Tickets. Just keep doing it until you find one you want, then invite them to your island.

EDIT: You have to wait until the day after the old character moves out. Before that, the new ones won't appear on the islands, and a day later and the game will automatically choose one for you. It has to be the day after they move out.

I picked Elmer the horse, who seemed like a bit of a nature enthusiast when we met, but as soon as he moved in it was pretty clear he's just a bug obsessive like Simon the monkey, but slightly less mentally challenged. Annoying, but he'll leave too in a month or so. Might hasten his leaving by annoying him. I also need Frobert the frog to go as he's basically a clone of Kid Cat, albeit with Graham Linehan's car bed.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kelvin on July 28, 2020, 02:34:59 PM
Quite a lot of stuff incoming, including Dream Suite (visit other islands?), and some sort of backup in case you lose your island. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0abyMullIs

Want to make a Twin Peaks Red Room island for dreamers to visit.

Can't be arsed though.

kngen

I am now playing this, thanks to the global Switch shortage not being quite so chronic any more[nb]although if I'd got to Gamestop 30 seconds later, I'd have been fucked[/nb]. Got a house, and a Buddhist cat statue. Any tips?

Kelvin

Quote from: kngen on July 28, 2020, 10:55:36 PM
I am now playing this, thanks to the global Switch shortage not being quite so chronic any more[nb]although if I'd got to Gamestop 30 seconds later, I'd have been fucked[/nb]. Got a house, and a Buddhist cat statue. Any tips?

Have a big project on the go at all times, something to build towards. The bigger and more ambitious the better.

Frobert's off, the little twat. He'd be a great villager to have if you didn't have Kid Cat, but I've got Kid Cat. Redundant, mate. Off you pop.

Also, no matter how much you might not like a villager, it's always a bit sad to see them with all their stuff packed up in boxes, sweeping the floor on their last day. Also, why are they sweeping? The house gets instantly demolished once they move out.

kngen

Quote from: Kelvin on July 28, 2020, 11:02:34 PM
Have a big project on the go at all times, something to build towards. The bigger and more ambitious the better.

My daughter went and trashed all my flowers and stole my workbench. Distressing on many levels. Haven't had to emotional fortitude to go back on again. If I do, I'm just going to fill her house with clumps of weeds. She'll get the fucking message.

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on August 05, 2020, 02:58:32 PM
Also, no matter how much you might not like a villager, it's always a bit sad to see them with all their stuff packed up in boxes, sweeping the floor on their last day. Also, why are they sweeping? The house gets instantly demolished once they move out.

Because Tom Nook's a landlord cunt and they still won't get their deposit back if it isn't left spotless.

What's with all the fucking crickets? That's not nice and relaxing.

kittens

on the offchance anyone is still playing - my girlfriend decided to buy loads of turnips last sunday and needs to unload them pronto. anyone got any good nip prices

kngen

So I had the online bit of this turned off so my daughter wouldn't get web-paedoed by a cyber-nonce. Is that cutting off a large part of this game, then? As all she seems to do now is accumulate vast amounts of tat, and I see no hint of what other people are talking about (concerts by KK Null or whatever he's called, inviting AOC over for a chat, turnips).

And if I do turn the online bit on, will it smell of hammers or is it safe?

Kelvin

Quote from: kngen on November 15, 2020, 01:48:15 PM
So I had the online bit of this turned off so my daughter wouldn't get web-paedoed by a cyber-nonce. Is that cutting off a large part of this game, then? As all she seems to do now is accumulate vast amounts of tat, and I see no hint of what other people are talking about (concerts by KK Null or whatever he's called, inviting AOC over for a chat, turnips).

And if I do turn the online bit on, will it smell of hammers or is it safe?

I think the online side of it just lets you visit other islands, and have visitors to yours. To visit an island, she'd need a "Dodo code", which is a long code you have to type in - obtainable only by getting one from a person in real life (eg. we exchanged them on here), or in theory, if your daughter actively sought one out online, say twitter, or a dedicated forum where people post them. She couldn't have random strangers turning up on her island without giving them her own dodo code (which she'd have to generate and give out), but I suppose hypothetically, she could visit the island of a stranger by getting their code on a website. And I suppose she could also post her current dodo code publicly online (although not via the game), and have a stranger turn up for as long as she keeps the airport gates open in that play session. The codes become void once you close the gates or end the play session.

As for the impact on the game if you leave it offline, the main game will be mostly unaffected. She can still get KK to visit if she does the tasks Tom Nook sets her (none of which are perverted in nature), she can still build out and decorate her island. She can even do the turnip stuff - although I'd guess she might be a bit young to understand the investment mechanic. It's just easier (and therefore quicker) to obtain different fruit, rare items, and get good turnip prices if you visit the islands of your friends or people in the AC community.

kngen

Ah nice one. Good to know (although I do think there is a crypto-erotic element to Tom Nook's power dynamic, but that could just be me).

Kelvin

Tiny correct, not significant, but I've just realised (when looking at the top of this page), that dodo codes aren't long complicated codes (like friend codes), but short codes. I can't see how it would really matter, but...

It's hard enough to get a stable connection to someone's island when you've arranged to meet up so the chances of accidentally entering a valid code and stumbling on an open island and getting nonced are slim to absolutely fuck all.

Also, Winter update is released on Thursday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQuucamIYjQ