Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:21:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What about the homeless?

Started by Beagle 2, March 20, 2020, 11:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

While we're busy throwing billions at this and starting to realise what's actually important, is there any plan for the increasing numbers of homeless? I assume the army will be on the streets soon enough, will they be wasting their time chasing desperate people around to protect cunts like me with property or can we sort out some safe shelter for people on the streets who will take it?

That's all a bit question time audience member, I realise. My contribution so far has been to nervously twitch my curtains when a load of them gathered outside in the street last night and clear away their empty cans this morning.

Zetetic

Welsh Gov is giving councils £10m to book temporary accommodation, apparently.

Buelligan

People with second homes should be stepping up to help, with government compensation, and help people like the employees of the Coylumbridge Hotel, made homeless due to the crisis of cunts in the country.

Buelligan

We have social policing, don't we?  People who go around coughing in other's faces or subject society to other kinds of behaviour viewed as antisocial, they get pilloried publicly.  Second home owners often slip under the radar, we shouldn't let them.  And the government should use their resources just as they're calling on retired health workers and other essential workers, like teachers, to step up, so they should pressurise and compensate people with more than one property.

bgmnts

Of course but good stuff happening is very very unlikely to happen.

Buelligan

I know that, of course, but after yesterday's damascene moment for the government, anything seems possible and the pressure should be kept up.

Sin Agog

Plop 'em in the empty schools.

Buelligan

I don't think the schools, those that are empty now, will be empty for long.  Those that have beds, bathing, laundry and catering facilities, will be needed.

Sin Agog

Plop 'em in the empty arcades.

There must be loads of places to plop a homeless.

Pranet

Looks like plan is hotels-

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/21/uk-hotels-homeless-shelters-coronavirus

Work at supported housing place for homeless. At least two local places are shutdown because of corvid cases. It will rip through homeless shelters and schemes. Both communal night shelter type places, and places like ours where the room have their own bathrooms but share kitchens and are always in and out of each others rooms. Also there is a percentage of the homeless population who don't know or care about any of this. Which is a story for another thread.

I wonder if we will be shut down and our residents moved to a hotel?

flotemysost

This has been playing on my mind since this whole thing started. Every time someone says we all need to be staying indoors, washing our hands, keeping our distance from other people, and looking after our immune systems, there's a part of me that thinks, well that's all very good but it's probably pretty hard to do if you're living in a tent with no running water.

And yeah, as the OP says, this situation seems likely to see an increase in people in that predicament.

I've upped my monthly donations to Crisis, and if my annual bonus comes through when I get paid at the end of this month then I'll donate a chunk of that (gonna hold on to most of it for a friend who's worried about losing her job at the moment), but it feels a bit helpless. Everyone seems to be posting on social media about how this awful situation is bringing people together and generating small acts of kindness, and this is true, but it also seems to be demonstrating that people who were already vulnerable in society and pretty much fucked are now really really fucked.

Sorry to sound bleak. I hope the second home schmucks are forced to step up as suggested.