Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is it possible to apply for a new job at this point?

Started by thecuriousorange, March 21, 2020, 12:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
I know someone who disliked their job, so they handed in their notice at the start of February. It's a three-month notice period and she assumed she'd just get another admin job during that time. Then this happened. She has about four weeks left in said job (working from home started a few days ago) and she has absolutely no idea what to do now. I feel terrible for her.

bgmnts

I still am getting one or two calls from recruitment agencies, at least as of yesterday

So probably.

purlieu

Not impossible but definitely very bloody difficult. A couple of the jobs I've applied to recently have sent me emails saying they've closed down their recruitment but they'll keep my application for when things settle down again.

Noodle Lizard

I had just got back into the "proper" workforce after a visa-enforced hiatus, and of course this has to happen. Quite literally nobody hiring in my field because they're all shut down, and even my nuclear options like Uber or other gigs are a no-go. So that's me fucked, then. Absolutely awful timing.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 21, 2020, 12:54:24 AM
I know someone who disliked their job, so they handed in their notice at the start of February. It's a three-month notice period and she assumed she'd just get another admin job during that time. Then this happened. She has about four weeks left in said job (working from home started a few days ago) and she has absolutely no idea what to do now. I feel terrible for her.

That's unfortunate timing. Depending on the field, admin being a good example, some employers will be interviewing using Skype. I think mine will be, but it's going to take them a bit of time to figure out how to do it. Getting people working from home has taken everyone's attention.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 21, 2020, 05:22:01 AM
I had just got back into the "proper" workforce after a visa-enforced hiatus, and of course this has to happen. Quite literally nobody hiring in my field because they're all shut down, and even my nuclear options like Uber or other gigs are a no-go. So that's me fucked, then. Absolutely awful timing.

Oh, no. Sorry to hear that. You're in the US, right? Won't you be eligible for the support Trump announced recently?

Sheffield Wednesday

Supermarkets are hiring for night shifts restocking, I understand.

Delivery drivers will be needed.

I know that tinned food sales have been up 70% so maybe canning plants if any nearby.

I know it's not necessarily what you want but there are some areas which will need staff urgently.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on March 21, 2020, 05:58:29 AMOh, no. Sorry to hear that. You're in the US, right? Won't you be eligible for the support Trump announced recently?

As far as I understand it that's for citizens only, and it's only $1k which doesn't get you very far in California! My wife is better at saving money than I am, so I'm not about to go homeless. That alone makes me far luckier than most, I can't imagine how devastating this must all be for people who have no safety net.

kittens

i applied for a bunch of jobs recently, and i'm slowly getting emails from all of them saying they have cancelled/postponed them all. thankfully i have a job and just wanted a better one.

Camp Tramp

Recruitment agencies are looking for people who have been DBS checked.

QDRPHNC

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 21, 2020, 06:27:17 AM
As far as I understand it that's for citizens only, and it's only $1k which doesn't get you very far in California! My wife is better at saving money than I am, so I'm not about to go homeless. That alone makes me far luckier than most, I can't imagine how devastating this must all be for people who have no safety net.

Oh, I'm glad you've got an excellent wife. I didn't realise you had to be a citizen to get the cheque. That's rum. And is it only a one-off payment? I assumed it would regular. I don't know why I assumed that, tbh.

earl_sleek

Care organisations are recruiting - we've started doing video interviews.

GMTV

I feel bad for graduates at the moment. Not sure if companies will be freezing graduate schemes etc.

Mister Six

I made a job offer to someone on Wednesday after all the other candidates had dropped out/failed for one reason or another, and he turned me down because his employer made him a counter-offer! So now I'm going to have to re-advertise. It's got WFH potential, though, so I'm hoping there'll be a bigger interest this time around.

Buelligan

Quote from: thecuriousorange on March 21, 2020, 12:54:24 AM

As I understand it, in the UK, if she was on the payroll at the end of February and is now being laid off, her employer can claim up to 80% of her monthly salary (which they can choose to top up) up to a ceiling of £2500 pcm.  If I were her, I'd contact my employer and plead with them to overlook the resignation and agree to do this.  If she settles for the 80%, without the top up, it'll cost them nothing.  They might go for it, especially if they're applying on behalf of other workers and it could be a lifeline for her at least until she can find other work.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-to-employers-and-businesses-about-covid-19/covid-19-guidance-for-employees

flotemysost

My flatmate had a job interview (via Skype) on Friday. Admittedly she approached the company ages ago and they've just been shit getting back to her, but given that it's a retail job in a store which I expect will be closing its doors very soon, it does seem a bit mad.

And yeah, I think some companies with WFH capacity will be continuing with recruitment - another friend just got offered an editorial job with a book publisher (in Sweden, where she lives) which is still all going ahead as far as I know - again she must have applied before all of this really kicked off, but I don't see why recruitment would be completely frozen for roles that can be done remotely.

Hope everyone manages OK.