Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 04:51:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Free stuff

Started by cliggg, March 21, 2020, 12:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Yeah, if you're a Windows user, 7zip should unzip it for you.

The Bumlord

There's a fuckload of samples free on the Reverb site besides drums.

And Ableton 10 has a 90 day free trial. Wheeee

QuoteWith university classrooms and libraries shuttered because of the COVID-19 crisis, scholars are facing disruptions not only in their teaching lives but also in their ability to access research materials. In response, many academic presses have made hundreds of their titles freely accessible online. The Public Books Database aims to catalog such resources in a single location and to highlight titles of particular interest. We'll be updating the list regularly as additional materials are made available.

https://www.publicbooks.org/public-books-database/

cliggg

Free digital downloads of Journey & Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection from midnight tomorrow until midnight may 6th, they are yours forever for free if you download in that time frame. https://blog.eu.playstation.com/2020/04/14/announcing-the-play-at-home-initiative/#sf232740584

Alberon

The game Just Cause 4 is free on the Epic Store if you're interested.

Non Stop Dancer

Quote from: Captain Z on April 14, 2020, 12:02:59 AM
The samples in the TR909 folder sound better than many single shot samples I've downloaded before, but in all the other folders I've explored so far the loops are absolutely piss-weak. Extremely grateful for the link but cannot imagine spending 750 quid on these. Will explore more during the week.
Yeah, I've had these for a while as they were also free a couple months ago, and they are indeed complete gash for the most part.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Yeah my reply was premature , downloaded it and it lasted about 5 minutes on my computer.

Retinend

Quote from: chocolate teapot on March 22, 2020, 11:02:14 PM
free interesting courses! option to pay £37 if you want certificate at the end https://www.coursera.org/

I am currently studying Learn To Speak Korean, Know Thyself The Values and Limits of Self Knowledge, Fundamentals of Music Theory for a brush up, Postwar Abstract Paintings, and a course on Kierkegaard.

Wow! 1 upvote for this.

I watched the Jon Stewart University of Copenhagen course on Kierkegaard too.

After watching the 6 hours or so of lectures I felt much the same way I do after watching any lecture series online (as I am wont to do): sure - it made me feel smart, but I don't really know the subject any less superficially.

But then I get the app on my phone and I realise that the course actually comes with hand-selected primary texts (in translation, of course) that would have costed a lot of money to source on the free market. This is really good, and I hope that there are more courses of this quality in its database on literary topics with equally rich textual support.

It makes me realise that what is really worthwhile about university are the old books. When you only have access to the internet, you can get a hold of the books of world-historical importance pretty easily, but all the rich context of those smaller works essential for understanding a period are still only contained in dusty tomes and - if we are talking about early victorian Copenhagen (excuse the phrasing) - mostly untranslated. Yet here, the translator of those books (whose works are copyrighted) doesn't mind sharing those with you. 

There are also forums for every unit of the course, in which some people very earnestly try to engage with difficult philosophical questions relevant to Kierkegaard. These are fun to read, quite unintentionally. I never studied philosophy but knew a few who did as an undergraduate, and I think it gives the sense of a real seminar with half-baked all-encompassing ideas being antagonistically exchanged.

We need a lot more digitisation and commercial operations like this. I hope they survive with their business model: I'm not personally convinced by the offer of a certificate, unless it is for something more work-related. Couldn't they rename themselves something a little more magisterial, like "the University of Electronic Science"?

timebug

I suppose it counts as free stuff, my service provider for my phone texted me yesterday, I have free unlimited local calls at least until the end of this month. A minor gesture on their part, but it gives the excuse to phone relatives and folk I have not spoken to in ages!

I'm noticing on local village Facebook groups that the after effect of people tidying their homes is lots of free stuff becoming available that they can't bin or take to the tip. Coffee tables and toys seem to be in abundance.

thenoise

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 26, 2020, 01:15:56 PM
I'm noticing on local village Facebook groups that the after effect of people tidying their homes is lots of free stuff becoming available that they can't bin or take to the tip. Coffee tables and toys seem to be in abundance.

Yes, and DVDs of films we all watched 15 years ago and have no desire to revisit.

Cold Meat Platter

Total War: Shogun 2 free on Steam tomorrow.

kalowski

Quote from: thenoise on April 26, 2020, 02:30:03 PM
Yes, and DVDs of films we all watched 15 years ago and have no desire to revisit.
I have a copy of Paul Blart: Mall Cop going free if anyone wants it.

olliebean

Terry Johnson recently did a Zoom performance of his show Ken, about Ken Campbell (featuring a fantastic turn by Jeremy Stockwell as the man himself), and has made it available to watch on Vimeo for a couple of weeks: https://vimeo.com/410480259

Password: GoodEveningSeekers (I guess it's OK to post this here as it's on his public Facebook profile).

olliebean

Hampstead Theatre has made #aiww: The Arrest of Ai Weiwei, starring Bendict Wong, available to watch until Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0bgrjpZ7ys

I've not seen it yet but I love me a bit of Wong.

Cold Meat Platter

GTA V for PC free on the Epic game store now. The demand has fucked their servers though so you may have to keep trying.

Blue Jam

Chuck Tingle is offering four of his Covid-themed "Tinglers" as free PDF downloads. Enjoy, and don't get pounded in the butt by the virus:

https://boingboing.net/2020/10/05/chuck-tingle-offers-free-downloads-of-his-healthy-coronavirus-conscious-surrealist-gay-sci-fi-erotica-ebooks.html

ElTwopo

Not free, but if you have Amazon Prime, some of their video channels are on offer for 99p a month for 3 months - including BFI player.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: ElTwopo on October 05, 2020, 09:31:37 PM
Not free, but if you have Amazon Prime, some of their video channels are on offer for 99p a month for 3 months - including BFI player.

ooh ta!

Blue Jam

The Royal Institution are hosting a series of free science lectures over the coming weeks:

https://www.rigb.org/whats-on