Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:55:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

LWT Trailer - The Entertainers 1986

Started by dr beat, March 21, 2020, 09:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Trust me right now you NEED this in your lives! The gift that keeps on and on and on and on giving and/or giving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9fP9H5gCNs

the

I don't remember Tarby and Aspel appearing in a Soviet spy drama

dr beat

That picture should have been held in front of a few parading SS-20s in Red Square.

dr beat

Paging Ballad of Ballard Berkeley and Glebe get here right now! (And Chart Music Podcasters - yes we can see you!)

DrGreggles

the

The Entertainers from the year before is just as bonkers, featuring London landmarks constructed from decommissioned electrical switchboxes and the most unflattering caricature of that woman from Dempsey & Makepeace.

And if you wind back, note that this clip is preceded by a trailer for what must be the dullest-sounding programme on the planet

dr beat

non capisco

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 21, 2020, 10:02:43 PM
Is that Danny Baker with Mr T?

It is. It looks like the poster for a mismatched cop pairing comedy drama where Mr T is inexplicably playing the sensible cop.

Alberon

Quote from: dr beat on March 21, 2020, 09:48:32 PM
Trust me right now you NEED this in your lives! The gift that keeps on and on and on and on giving and/or giving

My God. That bit where Saint and Greavsie's weird teeth come right at you! I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: the on March 21, 2020, 10:03:33 PM
The Entertainers from the year before is just as bonkers, featuring London landmarks constructed from decommissioned electrical switchboxes and the most unflattering caricature of that woman from Dempsey & Makepeace.

And if you wind back, note that this clip is preceded by a trailer for what must be the dullest-sounding programme on the planet

With that most chilling of cartoon motifs, big head on small body. It would have freaked me out as a kid.

I think that's Dan on the rocket at the end, looking like a caricature of Danny Kelly?

beanheadmcginty

Who is the fella paired up with Davro? I vaguely recognise him but can't place him.

the

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on March 21, 2020, 10:55:29 PMWho is the fella paired up with Davro? I vaguely recognise him but can't place him.

Richard Sullivan.

Quote from: Alberon on March 21, 2020, 10:30:59 PMMy God. That bit where Saint and Greavsie's weird teeth come right at you! I'm not going to sleep tonight.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

checkoutgirl

Quote from: the on March 21, 2020, 09:54:27 PM

Sydney Poitier and Gloria Huniford? Oh it's Gary Wilmott.

beanheadmcginty

Can't believe Baker didn't produce that picture of him with Mr. T as evidence when those ridiculous racism accusations were made. The matter would've been dropped immediately.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Amongst the many quality moments of that trailer is the bum note sounding right at the very end.

Norton Canes

Quote from: the on March 21, 2020, 09:54:27 PM

They look like half of a light ent Mount Rushmore

Glebe

THIS CHANGES EVERYTHING.

What a find... cheers Dr. B, this could just help me through these difficult times!

Real mix of stars there... Mr. T is a surprising addition, adding sauce to an (already) terrific mix!

Glebe

Btw Doc Beat, is your avatar actor Ellis Dale? I saw a clip of Pink Floyd movie The Wall where he plays a doctor and I mistook him for a deflated-looking Reginald Marsh. Also saw him pop up in an ITV4 repeat episode of Minder as a judge the other week.

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 23, 2020, 09:11:35 AMThey look like half of a light ent Mount Rushmore

OTHER HALF: Doddy, Wogan.

dr beat

Quote from: Glebe on March 23, 2020, 02:38:14 PM
Btw Doc Beat, is your avatar actor Ellis Dale? .

'Tis CJ from the original Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, aka actor John Barron.

dr beat

Quote from: the on March 21, 2020, 10:03:33 PM

I'm just intrigued by the Weetabix Top Trax cassettes - one for the Pop-Crazed Youngsters there.

Glebe

Quote from: dr beat on March 23, 2020, 03:05:04 PM'Tis CJ from the original Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, aka actor John Barron.

Ah right.

It was really generous of those celebs to give over their precious golf time to appear in that intro sequence. Actually, a bit of Google detective work has thrown up this interesting tit bit from a 1998 TVTimes interview with Keith Harris:

"Myself and Orville were down for an appearance in The Entertainers (1986) and I was looking forward to appearing like a freeze-frame cut-out in the snazzy opening sequence, but Orville scuppered the whole thing for an appearance in a Pampers advert. Then that got nixed and we were left in dead lumber. He can be a right fucking diva at times, and our working relationship continues to be fractious."

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: dr beat on March 23, 2020, 03:17:19 PM
I'm just intrigued by the Weetabix Top Trax cassettes - one for the Pop-Crazed Youngsters there.
I got one from a similar offer years later - presumably they had a deal with CBS, as it was full of shit like Europe, Spandau Ballet's "sensitive" ballad 'Through the Barricades' and the Bangles' wretched 'Eternal Flame'.

Glebe

Quote from: the on March 21, 2020, 10:03:33 PMThe Entertainers from the year before is just as bonkers, featuring London landmarks constructed from decommissioned electrical switchboxes and the most unflattering caricature of that woman from Dempsey & Makepeace.

QuoteThat's a lovely animation (although there's something vaguely dystopian about it).

the

Quote from: dr beat on March 23, 2020, 03:17:19 PMI'm just intrigued by the Weetabix Top Trax cassettes - one for the Pop-Crazed Youngsters there.

Strangely I quite vividly remember that offer, I think one of the tapes may have even entered the household.

What I like best is if you repeatedly click the YT progress bar in the right place, you can get a loop going of him saying "Big Cunt- Big Cunt- Big Cunt...".

Edit: Top Trax tapes listed here:  https://www.discogs.com/label/210071-Weetabix-Top-Trax

Four songs per tape, that's a bit of a swizz. You would've had to get through 2 big packets for one tape.

kalowski

Quote from: dr beat on March 21, 2020, 09:48:32 PM

Lovely opening credits, but what happened in the actual show? I've never heard of it. 1986 so I'd not fully extricated myself from my parents' love if ITV but I missed this one.

Puce Moment

Proof, were it needed, that although we thought we were in some kind of neon futurist William Gibson cyberpunk dream in the 1980s, we were in fact smack bang in the after life of chicken in a basket, end of pier, variety tradition.

the

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 23, 2020, 07:16:40 PMProof, were it needed, that although we thought we were in some kind of neon futurist William Gibson cyberpunk dream in the 1980s,

Really, I thought I was in a dayglo plastic E-number TV-AM Thatcher shitbubble with too much reverb on the snare drum. Because I was.

LWT must have run with that Entertainers campaign for longer than I realised. This one is from 1984, I used to watch the LWT startup on Sunday mornings just to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnWuxXAefM

Warning, contains more animated big heads on tiny bodies (and a glimpse of the caption card for a repeat of It'll Be Alright On The Night 3, which really gives away how old it is)