Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:21:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

LWT Trailer - The Entertainers 1986

Started by dr beat, March 21, 2020, 09:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dr beat

Its not clear whether cartoon Cilla escaped from that train in time.

kalowski

Quote from: Registering to lurk on March 23, 2020, 08:39:04 PM
LWT must have run with that Entertainers campaign for longer than I realised. This one is from 1984, I used to watch the LWT startup on Sunday mornings just to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnWuxXAefM

Warning, contains more animated big heads on tiny bodies (and a glimpse of the caption card for a repeat of It'll Be Alright On The Night 3, which really gives away how old it is)
Got it! This was just an advert for LWT, not a programme!! Although I'd happily watch a show with Clint Eastwood, Cannon and Ball and Cilla.

Quote from: dr beat on March 23, 2020, 09:36:18 PM
Its not clear whether cartoon Cilla escaped from that train in time.

I'm sending cartoon Cilla my thoughts and prayers at this difficult time.

Cilla and Brucie were also pictured together on the 1986 promo, and in the 1985 version they are both flying together (with a third bloke who looks like Andrew Lloyd Webber's younger, uglier, brother). LWT must have had some sinister reason for wanting to link the pair in the public mind.

Who's drawn leaning on a fence as the Jack of Hearts in the 1984 cartoon? Is it yet another in the series of inaccurate Danny Baker caricatures?

Uncle TechTip

Surely there would be some top billing tussling going on here, like Tarby and Brucie wouldn't be seen together. Each thought they stood apart. Pair me with the lady or the no competition chat show host.

Glebe

Quote from: Registering to lurk on March 23, 2020, 08:39:04 PMLWT must have run with that Entertainers campaign for longer than I realised. This one is from 1984, I used to watch the LWT startup on Sunday mornings just to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUnWuxXAefM

Warning, contains more animated big heads on tiny bodies (and a glimpse of the caption card for a repeat of It'll Be Alright On The Night 3, which really gives away how old it is)

That is in incredibly bizarre. If me laptop wasn't fucked I'd attempt to make an animated gif out of Brucie tying Cilla to the tracks and us it as me avatar.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I'm not sure how chuffed Clint Eastwood, Jack Nicholson and even Mr. T would be about the implication that they worked for LWT , just because that station showed the occasional film of theirs ( and the A- Team).  Richard O' Sullivan was probably glad of the attention, though.

Glebe

I wish my laptop wasn't buggered, this is great creative inspiration.

This rediscovery of an '80s curio is a game-changer really. Somebody email a link to Brian Cox or one of them big boffins, there could be some key to the mystery of existence hidden within.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Registering to lurk on March 23, 2020, 10:18:31 PM

Who's drawn leaning on a fence as the Jack of Hearts in the 1984 cartoon? Is it yet another in the series of inaccurate Danny Baker caricatures?

That's top Gaz Coombs from Supergrass's Dad Lookalike Richard O'Sullivan,again.
LWT Seemed very consistent in their roster of entertainers from1984-6,with the unwaivering presence of Tarby,Brucie,Cilly,Bakery,Dempsey, Makepiecey and even Mr.T-y. Clint Eastwood turns up twice I think,and Jack Nicholson and Roger Moore make their debut and only appearances in 1984 (Again,I think).
Quite glad to have this thread about in these troubling times, so I am.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've also just worked out that's Jack Lord as Steve McGarret from Hawaii 5-0 (A programme dating back to 1968,although,tbf,it's final series was broadcast (astonishingly) in 1980) firing his pop gun at Clint (as opposed to Cliff Richard,or a time-travelling Chandler from"Friends")

the

Can I just say how fucking hilarious Mr. T's facial expression is in the 1985 one, trapped in a paper aeroplane and having a crisis.

Glebe

They've kept us entertained for generations, with laughter, fun and chat. Here here to the heroes of entertainment!

gilbertharding

On what planet is Gloria Hunniford 'an entertainer'?

the

On a planet where putting on a bit of hairspray and opening and closing your mouth in front of a TV camera is entertainment.

Planet LWT

Norton Canes

The bleu blanc rouge colour scheme on the '86 trailer lends it a vaguely Gallic air.

the

Aye, though I assume it's just aping the colour scheme of the LWT logo.  (Either that or they've been taking backhanders from Aquafresh)

That's a point actually, didn't the LWT logo tend to be more blue-white-orange before the digital logos? I wonder if it was actually meant to be orange, or was that down to film stock on the animation and adjustments made for colour separation in captioning.

They can't seem to make up their mind here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJlyt3QE3M4

" ... life in the capital - from young junkies and football hooligans, to Ken Livingstone ..."

buzby

Quote from: the on March 24, 2020, 02:24:13 PM
Aye, though I assume it's just aping the colour scheme of the LWT logo.  (Either that or they've been taking backhanders from Aquafresh)

That's a point actually, didn't the LWT logo tend to be more blue-white-orange before the digital logos? I wonder if it was actually meant to be orange, or was that down to film stock on the animation and adjustments made for colour separation in captioning.

They can't seem to make up their mind here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJlyt3QE3M4
The colours in the 'River' ident are supposed to orange, white and blue - the orange was changed to red in 1986 when the new digitally-generated idents were introduced. Dave Jeffrey mentions it in this article about recreating the old idents for the end of LWT celebrations in 2002. The orange was a link back to the previous London Weekend 'Rotating Oval' logo.

Brundle-Fly

All those portraits remind me of my own youthful hamfisted attempt to capture Marilyn Monroe's beauty in pastels. I thought I'd done a good job until I did the litmus test of looking at my effort reflected in a mirror. Norma Jean after a massive stroke.

lebowskibukowski

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 24, 2020, 07:29:33 PM
All those portraits remind me of my own youthful hamfisted attempt to capture Marilyn Monroe's beauty in pastels. I thought I'd done a good job until I did the litmus test of looking at my effort reflected in a mirror. Norma Jean after a massive stroke.

I remember a drawing I did in art class in the fifth year. At least four other pupils remarked what a great picture of Phil Mitchell it was. Sadly it was meant to be Martin Luther King.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on March 22, 2020, 02:52:12 PM
Amongst the many quality moments of that trailer is the bum note sounding right at the very end.

It's a Laurie Holloway special.

shiftwork2

I came late to this but thank you.  Not much I can add.  Tarbuck clearly ruled the roost from 84-86, fuck me they were dark times.  The leitmotif of a narked BA Baracus was enjoyable but the pairing with Danny Baker placed this firmly in the gold category.

dr beat

Quote from: dr beat on March 23, 2020, 03:05:04 PM
Btw Doc Beat, is your avatar actor Ellis Dale?

'Tis CJ from the original Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, aka actor John Barron.

Except it isn't currently.

PeasOnSticks

Aspel and Tarby paired up in both '85 and '86 versions, as if they're a natural double-act. Surely there wasn't ever an 'Aspel and Tarby Show'?

dr beat

Was wondering whether this merited a separate thread, but there's a point of comparison to be made.  I'm listening to a recent episode of Chart Music and I'm on the bit where Taylor Parkes mentions the launch night of SoundTV, the decidedly end of the pier channel fronted by Jethro and Richard Digance. The opening segment in particular is worthy of your attention:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGCcwo5FCSs

Upload seems to be a Louis Barfe job - many thanks.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Phil Cool and Roger De Courcey amongst the stars there. In 2005.

Gurke and Hare

I like the way the programmes were all anagrams of each other, just different combinations of the same core group.

David Copperfield!

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on May 26, 2020, 10:41:48 PM

David Copperfield!

Hee! I did a double take at that name too , until looking in the visage of the shooting star flying by confirmed that it was , indeed, the erstwhile  " Three Of A Kind"  star, and not the supermodel- shagging American magician feller.

I like how the second half of the seemingly going on for fucking ever ad shows a whole host of completely unknown up- and- coming talented stars, none of which were ever heard of again following the exciting launch of SoundTV. One is minded to wonder whatever became of them all, particularly Tank Sherman and the mononamed Tucker ( wonder if he had much luck?).
Also, I'd like a gander at that children's cartoon voiced by Robert Powell and Susan George.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on May 27, 2020, 01:46:40 PM
Hee! I did a double take at that name too , until looking in the visage of the shooting star flying by confirmed that it was , indeed, the erstwhile  " Three Of A Kind"  star, and not the supermodel- shagging American magician feller.

I like how the second half of the seemingly going on for fucking ever ad shows a whole host of completely unknown up- and- coming talented stars, none of which were ever heard of again following the exciting launch of SoundTV. One is minded to wonder whatever became of them all, particularly Tank Sherman and the mononamed Tucker ( wonder if he had much luck?).
Also, I'd like a gander at that children's cartoon voiced by Robert Powell and Susan George.

There's a whole playlist of it here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL756XNZsKKiP6CuZJ2LwH0kcaA7pts_2C

Richard Digance on the theme tune. All down hill from there.

dr beat

On a related note, perhaps worth another mention for 'Cruising With The Stars'.  If you haven't come across it before, its a real light-ent rabbit-hole.