Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:03:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Doom Eternal

Started by popcorn, March 22, 2020, 12:27:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

popcorn

Loved 2016 Doom. Fast, furious, minimal, smart.

Played two hours of this. Baffling. Overwhelming amounts of information, weapons, enemies, boring brown environments, invisible walls. What the fuck.

popcorn

They make it so you walk into rooms and baddies are already fighting each other, chucking fireballs and grenades at each other, and none of them fucking die! You just stand there for hours and nothing fucking happens!

This is an outrage!

H-O-W-L

It really looks like a "Too Much Pudding" game. I quite liked 2016 but the first gameplay footage of this with the finalized HUD and pickups and all that really turned me right the fuck off, it looks like such a huge step back and so overwhelmingly painful to the senses to play. Me dear ole da loves Doom but I imagine if he played this he'd have a heart attack.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 12:27:45 AM
Loved 2016 Doom. Fast, furious, minimal, smart.

Played two hours of this. Baffling. Overwhelming amounts of information, weapons, enemies, boring brown environments, invisible walls. What the fuck.

Really enjoying this. Anyone with any degree of experience playing any shooter will be fine. Play a Game & Watch or something

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

That is the first remotely negative review I've seen of it. While I was looking forward to it, I was mildly concerned that it sounded a bit over complicated compared to the previous one.

I'm probably going to have to give it a miss for the time being anyway, having found myself essentially redundant this week.

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on March 22, 2020, 12:04:06 PM
Really enjoying this. Anyone with any degree of experience playing any shooter will be fine. Play a Game & Watch or something

Fuck off madhair! I finished the last Doom on hard, that's how hardcore I am. This is just a senseless barrage of tutorials, weapons, power-ups and enemies within minutes of starting the game. It's grossly overstuffed, it's bewildering, it has no pacing whatsoever. Before you encounter a new enemy it interrupts you with a tutorial explaining what its weak point is, fuck. off.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 22, 2020, 12:12:41 PM
That is the first remotely negative review I've seen of it.

Check the tweetzone, Resetera, the usual suspects. Loads of people don't like it. Loads and loads more people are going to love it though, gamers are twats.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 12:27:02 PMBefore you encounter a new enemy it interrupts you with a tutorial explaining what its weak point is, fuck. off.

Yeah, that's what made me say "ah, fuck it, not even gonna pirate it. cigs."

popcorn

Quote from: H-O-W-L on March 22, 2020, 12:28:05 PM
Yeah, that's what made me say "ah, fuck it, not even gonna pirate it. cigs."

Luckily someone told me you can turn that off, but that still triggered several minutes of diving into the world's most bewildering options menu (that has, I suspect, probably over a hundred options). And the option was under "Game" instead of "UI"

popcorn

Not only can enemies no longer hurt each other (so you just watch them fireball each other for eternity) melee attacks no longer do any damage. It's just full of baffling counter-intuitive decisions like that.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 12:31:45 PM
Luckily someone told me you can turn that off, but that still triggered several minutes of diving into the world's most bewildering options menu (that has, I suspect, probably over a hundred options). And the option was under "Game" instead of "UI"

Honestly shouldn't have to turn that shit off. What happened to having the player figure out weak points? Shit, most of the weakpoints in Doomy Turnal are glowing anyway.

Thursday

I do think there seems to be a lot of stuff added that makes it a bit confusing, (although maybe they were there before and I just forgot about them) like flame belch, runes, dashes, more complexity to the weapon mods. The first hour I really liked, then a couple of hours after that, it all started to seem a little too much. It's trying to tell a story this time for some reason which is cute.

I am actually having fun with it, and this is a personal thing with difficulty but, I started on Ultra Violence, which was good but manageable at first, but then it all got a bit too much - and I put it down to hurt me plenty - My issue was this this sort of removes any need to be tactical during encounters. On Ultra Violence, I'd always be having to remember how best to approach an enemy, switching to the best weapon and weapon mod, which is good, but the the problem is I got decimated so quickly after the slightest hesitation or whiffing a precision shot. I like the need to think tactically, I just don't like the punishment being so high. So now I put it down to Hurt Me Plenty, and there's just not really a need to worry about it, anything will get the job done.

And as I get further along it's throwing so many enemies so quickly that I'm just sort of spamming everything. Holding down shoot and then mashing the glory kill button and then all the other ability buttons between because it works. I want it to challenge me a bit more, but when the difficulty was higher I was stuck on one encounter for an hour and that's not the way it's supposed to be either.

Still early game though, so we'll see how things go.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

How big is the install? Doom 2016 got up to about 80gb or something stupid, most of which was the multiplayer that nobody played. Whatever Eternal currently is, expect it to rise well above 100gb in the next few months.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 12:27:02 PM
Fuck off madhair! I finished the last Doom on hard, that's how hardcore I am. This is just a senseless barrage of tutorials, weapons, power-ups and enemies within minutes of starting the game. It's grossly overstuffed, it's bewildering, it has no pacing whatsoever. Before you encounter a new enemy it interrupts you with a tutorial explaining what its weak point is, fuck. off.

Check the tweetzone, Resetera, the usual suspects. Loads of people don't like it. Loads and loads more people are going to love it though, gamers are twats.

Mega-yikes! Calm down mate, it's only a computer game! Sorry you're having trouble with it! Maybe you could knock the difficulty down a bit?

madhair60

"Several minutes of diving into the world's most bewildering options menu" 😂😂😂

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 12:33:25 PM
Not only can enemies no longer hurt each other (so you just watch them fireball each other for eternity) melee attacks no longer do any damage. It's just full of baffling counter-intuitive decisions like that.
op
Those sound like bugs to me. I can't see why they'd include stuff like this without it having any effect - especially the monster infighting, which was always an important tactic in the original games.

madhair60

citing Resetera as having meaningful opinions worth listening to!!!! fucking hell I'm in tears here, jesus christ

madhair60

I will be reasonable for one second - the popups that show weak points before you encounter the enemies are indeed stupid bollocks

popcorn

madhair60

popcorn

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 22, 2020, 03:26:57 PM
op
Those sound like bugs to me. I can't see why they'd include stuff like this without it having any effect - especially the monster infighting, which was always an important tactic in the original games.

I don't think the melee thing is a bug, I've seen other players talk about it. Unless it's a bug everyone's hitting. I doubt it. The melee can seemingly only be used to do the glory kills, so punching things in the face is now a big waste of time. I don't think it even knocks them back or stuns them or interrupts attack or anything.

What I suspect has happened is that they've designed this to ratchet up the intensity of combat, encouraging some behaviours and not others in some way. But it comes at the cost of the melee no longer any intuitive sense - it is baffling to begin the game and hit a zombie 20 times in the face and not have it die. That just is a confusing bad experience. And you have a whole bit of the game that's now just redundant. Why have melee at all?

It's very strange. I fucking hate it when games don't make sense within an hour or two, they really ought to.

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 04:32:18 PM
It is baffling to begin the game and hit a zombie 20 times in the face and not have it die. That just is a confusing bad experience.

why would you do that when you start with a shotgun

Pauline Walnuts

madhair60

when did you ever use the punch without a berserk pack in doom though, or let's face it even with one

doom eternal's close range combat is built around glory kills (for health) and the chainsaw (for ammo), "i can't do this thing nobody would ever do for any reason" is a weird criticism

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on March 22, 2020, 04:41:23 PM
when did you ever use the punch without a berserk pack in doom though, or let's face it even with one

doom eternal's close range combat is built around glory kills (for health) and the chainsaw (for ammo), "i can't do this thing nobody would ever do for any reason" is a weird criticism

I don't know whether to respond to your posts because there is apparently no distinction between the Comedy Banter and the Actually Trying to Have a Conversation but this is just fucking wrong. In Doom 2016 you melee shit all the time, not just for the glory kills. In Eternal you start off in a room with a shotgun and the melee and some zombies and the game teaches you to melee but it doesn't do anything so it's redundant. Why have it in the fucking game. "But why would you ever do it" because it's a fucking thing in the fucking game that they put there on purpose

I specifically used melee against the weedy zombies in the previous one, because it guaranteed they'd go into their staggered state (in normal difficulty, anyway). Shooting them was a waste of ammo and a potential glory kill.

"Glory kill" sounds so similar to "glory hole".

madhair60

Quote from: popcorn on March 22, 2020, 04:45:03 PM
I don't know whether to respond to your posts because there is apparently no distinction between the Comedy Banter and the Actually Trying to Have a Conversation but this is just fucking wrong. In Doom 2016 you melee shit all the time, not just for the glory kills. In Eternal you start off in a room with a shotgun and the melee and some zombies and the game teaches you to melee but it doesn't do anything so it's redundant. Why have it in the fucking game. "But why would you ever do it" because it's a fucking thing in the fucking game that they put there on purpose

but........ it doesn't "teach you to melee", you spawn with the shotgun, shoot three zombies then open a door to a flashing enemy and are told "press R3 to Glory Kill" then you get the chainsaw around the next corner?

madhair60

also you said the melee doesn't knock enemies back but................     

it does!
Spoiler alert
im sorry!
[close]

popcorn

Quote from: madhair60 on March 22, 2020, 05:02:28 PM
also you said the melee doesn't knock enemies back but................     

it does!
Spoiler alert
im sorry!
[close]

Not while they're attacking. The point is you can't use it defensively seemingly . edit: might be wrong about that? not sure.

edit: the ACTUAL POINT is that the melee does not work in a way you would expect a melee to work, and that might contribute in some big-picture way to some bigger design consideration, but it comes at the cost of something being initially counter-intuitive and weird. I bet you a billion pounds that people attempt to melee zombies to death, it is a completely sensible thing to try to do, going "oh but why would you" is talking shit.

I am not trying to say the new Doom is shit because they nerfed the melee, I am trying to say its first two hours are full of very strange, unnatural things like that. You'd expect to be able to punch a zombie to death.

Thursday

You're likely to melee enemies yes, because you have so little ammo at the start, and yes then you chainsaw enemies, but once you've used up the ammo from that, you might not get more chainsaw fuel.