Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,582,191
  • Total Topics: 106,728
  • Online Today: 897
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 02:35:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Feel Good - Mae Martin sitcom

Started by olliebean, March 22, 2020, 10:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

olliebean

Two episodes in, and really enjoying this. The entire series is on All 4 in the UK, or Netflix in the US. Worth a look.

Watched it all in one go yesterday - really good!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They've been advertising it heavily on All 4, but I had no inkling it was a comedy. I also read that Lisa Kudrow is in it, which the trailer neglects to mention.

olliebean

Lisa Kudrow has a fairly small role, but is very good in it.

neveragain

It's beautiful series and turns into something really special.

WestHill

Four episodes in and loving this. The dialogue is excellent.

Enough big laughs to qualify as comedy but is so much more than that. Martin is a great actress.

I really enjoyed the first episode - I got to the point where I properly believed what I was seeing.

Been a bit patchy since, but the Blackpool episode was also great. Even if that's really not Blackpool station. Nope, not even close.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

^ True , dat. Did they just green screen Blackpool tower, then? So What's wrong with actually filming in Blackpool?

I find this show very self- indulgent, and not all that funny, perfectly good cast , or not ( Her off " Fresh Meat" has some decent comedy acting chops). I'm probably way out of the demographic for it, mind. I suppose this is the sort of comedy what the young people of today like.

Timothy

The trailer was quite bad so I wrote it off but the positive reviews made me curious. Gonna watch it tomorrow.

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on April 14, 2020, 04:41:04 PM
^ True , dat. Did they just green screen Blackpool tower, then? So What's wrong with actually filming in Blackpool?

I find this show very self- indulgent, and not all that funny, perfectly good cast , or not ( Her off " Fresh Meat" has some decent comedy acting chops). I'm probably way out of the demographic for it, mind. I suppose this is the sort of comedy what the young people of today like.

I thought they filmed in Blackpool but the railway stations in Blackpool are grim.

Here's Blackpool North

and here's Blackpool South

The one they actually used

reminded me a bit of Bury's East Lancs station.

As the rest of the filming is very much based in Manchester, that makes some sense. I'm also guessing its easier to get permission to film on a private steam train's platform than on a 'proper' train station.

Given this post, its possibly safe to say I'm not a target audience member either.

Also, there's no pub called the Bear and Ragged Staff in Oxford. The Bear's the one with the ties. There is one with that name out in Cumnor.

In spite of all that, I actually did enjoy the Blackpool episode.

neveragain

I'd like to know what Lisa J means by 'self-indulgent'. Given that it's semi-autobiographical and all focused on the one couple (primarily Mae), how could it be anything else? I'm guessing it means you just don't like or connect with the characters but that's purely because I don't see anything wrong with drawing from yourself to such an introspective degree.
Reminds me of when I saw a short play about someone's battle with depression/anxiety and a reviewer called it 'navel-gazing'. How could it not be? It's about one person's own experience. Forgive me if I'm getting ya wrong.

oh, bewbs

oh, a strap-on

ending: sad

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: neveragain on April 15, 2020, 02:46:36 PM
I'd like to know what Lisa J means by 'self-indulgent'. Given that it's semi-autobiographical and all focused on the one couple (primarily Mae), how could it be anything else? I'm guessing it means you just don't like or connect with the characters but that's purely because I don't see anything wrong with drawing from yourself to such an introspective degree.

"self-indulgent" is one of those criticisms that can mean several contradictory things, everything from wallowing in self-pity and ugliness and depravity, to creating a 3 hour long treatise on why I am the bestest person ever, to not talking to anyone. I don't think Feel Good really did any, although the Ikea scenes are a bit skin-crawling.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I've decided that I don't like this show because British people say American things in it. And Emma Thompson's Sister plays an American's idea of an eccentric person.

( Alright, a Canadians idea, then.)