Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:20:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Using "butt"

Started by SpiderChrist, March 22, 2020, 02:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpiderChrist

Need help from clever types, please.

Broadcast Using THIS Tool, in fact

Looking to broadcast live using butt, I'm running Serato with a DJ controller, output from "Booth" to my amp, Master output into my laptop, but not getting any signal into the software.

Been fannying about with sound settings, but wary of two much fannying as I'm a bit clueless tbh.

Anybody know a) what the fuck I'm going on about and b) what I need to do to fix it?

Ta everso

the

Complete stab in the dark, but I'd imagine you have to set your computer's line in/mic input to be the selected recording device. Which sort of computer & OS you have will dictate how this is done.

If you can get that set up so that you can successfully record the incoming audio into an audio recording programme, then you'll know it's set up correctly - from that point, if this BUTT thing still isn't receiving the audio then it'll be something to do with the setup of BUTT.

the

Also, is Serato running on the same machine? (If so, that might be complicating things. I'd imagine you could route the audio directly from the Serato programme to whatever software you're using for casting.)

SpiderChrist

Cheers. Have discovered this, which might be the answer: https://obsproject.com/

the

You haven't really mentioned what you're trying to achieve - streaming your audio to... what? What's the service you've decided to broadcast on?

SpiderChrist

That's a good point, and I'm glad you've mentioned it.

My mate runs an internet radio station of sorts, via his garden shed. In light of the current circumstances in which we find ourselves, travelling to his house to do a live show is a no-no, so we were looking at ways for me to broadcast live from SpiderChrist Mansions.

the

So have you got some software means of sending an audio stream to his casting server (or whichever service he uses)? Because if not you won't get very far.

Then, as I said, you could internally route the audio coming from Serato to that. Or if you're insistent on sending the line-in from your laptop to it, record some audio through the line-in as a test to confirm that your laptop is at least receiving audio.

It's a chain, you need to make sure all the links are in place:

Digital audio happening in your laptop  ->  Streaming out to internet  ->  Stream received by casting server/service

or

External audio -> being received by your laptop  ->  Streaming out to internet  ->  Stream received by casting server/service

I'm out on a limb here because I've never streamed to a cast myself, but I believe this is the principle.

TBH you're gonna need to be in contact with him to make sure it's set up correctly on his end anyway, so it might be a good idea to have him guide you through it.

SpiderChrist

Yeah the "butt" software sends the stream to the server. Downloaded the obs software and ran some tests tonight - works like a dream. Cheers for the tips and advice, much appreciated.