Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Hot Air (2019) - Steve Coogan plays a US radio host

Started by holyzombiejesus, March 22, 2020, 08:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Watched this last night on NowTV Films (or whatever it's called). What a strange film. You know how in most of his roles, Coogan sometimes lets a bit of his inner Partridge shine through? Well this one feels like it's actually Alan rather than Coogan that's doing the acting. Coogalan plays a right wing US radio host and there's lots of bits of him in the radio studio talking to callers and I find it completely impossible to not spend the entire time thinking of Alan. There are wacky little jingles, like in MMM and the same gestures and tics, surely Coogan must have known how odd this would be for UK viewers. SC was exec producer too. Weird.

Trailer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Ztcc_nQSE&has_verified=1

neveragain

Love the guy to bits, obviously, but yer man Coogan cannot do a convincing American accent.

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

Quote from: Beep Cleep Chimney on March 22, 2020, 10:12:30 PM
Love the guy to bits, obviously, but yer man Coogan cannot do a convincing American accent.

See also- Ewan MacGregor. He's been at it 25 years now you think someone would say "Maybe don't do American accented roles anymore?"

Shaky

Ha ha, holy shit - that really is indistinguishable from Partridge. Sounds like Alan doing the US accent he busts out occasionally over the decades, and the body language is identical.

Dewt

Very bad.

I feel like Coogan won't be at rest until he breaks America in a huge way, but it's his worst work.

holyzombiejesus

It's just such a strange decision to have him in that role and it completely overshadows the rest of the film (probably for the best). Trying to think of other examples of an actor best known for a massively famous comedy character then trying to play a serious character doing the same things as the comedy one.

Blumf

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 23, 2020, 02:42:54 PM
...trying to play a serious character doing the same things as the comedy one.

This is supposed to be a serious, non-comedy film?

holyzombiejesus

There are light-hearted moments but, yes, it's supposedly a drama. It's entertaining but mainly because it stars Alan Partridge being an American

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 23, 2020, 02:42:54 PM
Trying to think of other examples of an actor best known for a massively famous comedy character then trying to play a serious character doing the same things as the comedy one.
Leslie Nielsen, but in reverse?

wooders1978

I just watched it - pretty sure it's meant to be at least partially, a large part, a comedy

I liked it despite thinking I would and probably should find it utter crap

Dewt

Bad Film (2019) - Steve Coogan is in a bad film