Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:52:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Four Lions - live watch party

Started by AzureSky, March 22, 2020, 08:45:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzureSky

Nigel Lindsay now also joining, YT link here (I can't get the http:// at the start as it puts it in twice or not at all for some reason, but anyway):

youtu.be/j9hevzD7xJk

the

Quote from: Dineen on March 23, 2020, 06:09:25 PMNigel Lindsay now also joining, YT link here (I can't get the http:// at the start as it puts it in twice or not at all for some reason, but anyway):

Fixed link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9hevzD7xJk

EBGB

I got home too late to watch from the start, so I've been running an hour behind.  It's now finished in real time & the feed has gone dead / private.  I've not watched anything live on YT before; can someone tell me if it'll be possible to catch up with the rest of it later?  Thanks.

muddybug

I don't think you can watch it back again because they did a split-screen setup and showed the movie itself. The video would be flagged for copyright issues if they made it permanently available for people to watch later.

the

Hopefully somebody captured it though, keep an eye out for it getting reuploaded on video sites in the coming days.

(TBF it wouldn't be all that heinous in terms of copyright infringement, as the film only appeared in a small window and the soundtrack wasn't really audible.)

I only caught a little bit of this as I was doing other things, but there was a great bit:

Nigel Lindsay explained that him and Chris developed a backstory together for Barry, which was that he was driven to become radicalised after his wife moved her lover into the house and Barry had to live in the shed. The sounds of them making love every night pushed him over the edge. :)

Riz Ahmed then asked Nigel what Barry would've been like when he's making love. Nigel laughed and said "Barry's never made love to anyone in his life!".

If that insight was anything to go by, in terms of the CM archive it would be great to have a copy of it, particularly as the original DVD commentary evaporated.

AzureSky

Some thoughts...

Kayvan does an extremely good Chris Morris impression.

Riz talked about meeting Chris for a coffee every 2 or 3 months for 3.5 years before the film. He didn't know much about Chris's past work.

Chris knew that 'rubber dingy rapids' would become 'a thing' , as he wrote it on the back of their marathons outfits that he gave the cast as gifts at the end of the shoot, to the bemusement of the actors, who couldn't really recall the saying.

Nigel wasn't sure about it originally and asked Chris if there was a potential for him to become a target if he starred in the film, Chris said not really, if anything they'll come after him, so Nigel said OK then.

Nigel fell asleep early one morning after filming in a motorway service station and the crew drove off without him.

He also left his bag at the station at Nottingham and asked Kayvan to pick it up for him. kayvan called him pretending to be the lost property guy at the station and asking Nigel to prove who he was in various different ways, Nigel got increasing annoyed and furious in the end until he knew it was Kayvan.

Kayvan was very nervous on set, he said he was mainly thinking what the hell am I doing here, this is way above me.

There was a cut scene that setup the weetabix at the end but they cut the start and thought it was better being this weird thing that isn't explained.

Barry drove his car really fast twice before crashing but it wasn't funny until Chris said do it very slowly.

Another point of direction was Chris saying to Nigel he must be 'serious as beetroot' for a scene.

They want to get it back in cinemas in May apparently for the 10 year anniversary.

Sam Bain sent some texts in to Riz and Kayvan kept saying 'Chris has just texted me X' throughout the whole thing.

Can't remember the scene, but there was some talk of a great actor or stand in that was too good for the scene because he was so quick and brilliant at improvising, his lines where better than the script, it didn't work with him having the upper hand so they had to cut it.

Lots of good friendly banter between them, they clearly all love each other and Chris to bits.

Thomas

Thanks for recounting those details and insights, Dineen! I always love to learn more about the sealed world of Morris' processes.

muddybug

Oh yea, that also reminds me that Riz talked about Chris directing him in a scene that comes after Waj (Kayvan's character) has killed himself and Riz is directed to look 'sad'.

Riz said, "Chris told me 'Look sad! MORE SAD! SADDER!'"

Harpo Speaks

Quote from: Dineen on March 24, 2020, 07:05:11 PM
Riz talked about meeting Chris for a coffee every 2 or 3 months for 3.5 years before the film. He didn't know much about Chris's past work.

Riz Ahmed was on Romesh Ranganathan's podcast (Hip Hop Saved My Life) recently, and he mentioned this alongside some other Four Lions chat. Was an interesting episode.

muddybug

Here's a 8 min video Riz posted from the original live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uifh3gvEF8g

Mango Chimes

That's really good. Annoyed I missed the full thing.

the

Quote from: muddybug on April 03, 2020, 06:01:43 AMHere's a 8 min video Riz posted from the original live stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uifh3gvEF8g

Ah, cheers for that! Nice that he's boiled down some of the pertinent moments.