Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,187
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 798
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:47:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ZZ Top

Started by Dr Syntax Head, March 22, 2020, 09:37:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

Fucking amazing band

DrGreggles

I don't know if you're aware of this, but the ZZ Top drummer is the only one in the band who wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles.

jobotic

Up to and including Eliminator.

I reckon I probably listen to them more than other band these days.

Dr Syntax Head

The one after eliminator was cool but it's all about deguello

PlanktonSideburns

whats the one where theyre in like drop tunings?

Dr Syntax Head

Later stuff I think

chveik

Quote from: DrGreggles on March 22, 2020, 09:44:24 PM
I don't know if you're aware of this, but the ZZ Top drummer is the only one in the band who wasn't even the best drummer in The Beatles.

it's a drum machine

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on March 22, 2020, 09:48:17 PM
The one after eliminator was cool but it's all about deguello

It is. But all leading to up to that were great. In parts

Sebastian Cobb

Tres hombres is where it's at.

Dr Syntax Head

Tres Hombres is a classic. Jesus just left for Chicago hell yes

Dr Syntax Head

Fandango though. Blue jean blues

jobotic

Yeah they're all great.

As is this concert

https://youtu.be/a--uMngZ1O0

Dr Syntax Head

Fuck yeah thanks Jobo

idunnosomename

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on March 22, 2020, 09:51:38 PM
whats the one where theyre in like drop tunings?
Rhythmeen is really low and it's awesome. their best album released after Eliminator

I mean of course their 70s stuff is the best though. a lot of really weird jazzy breaks on top of their good ol' southern blues.

Nasty Dogs and Funky Kings fuck me that RIFF. and Just Got Paid which I think I've recently gone on about how fuckin before its time and metal that riff is

bgmnts

Just listen to Sharp Dressed Man on repeat every day for the next 20 years and you'll never get bored of it.

magval

Have to be careful on Spotify as some of the albums have the drums remixed (replaced?) and sound awful. Using a drum machine later on is one thing, but going back and replacing John Beard recordings is just fucking bullshit.

idunnosomename

sharp dressed man is a bloody perfect recording. the main solo is killer and the outro is clever too. can't say what it must've been like for longtime fans when Eliminator "dropped" but it's still brilliant (even though they had a bunch of uncredited songwriting help on it and drums and even the bass are mostly programmed)

GOT ME UNDER PRESSURE

idunnosomename

oh yeah you need to listen to the comps Chrome Smoke and BBQ or the Complete Studio Albums for the non-reverbed to fuck drum sound for the 70s albums. Tres Hombres and Fandango! are the remasters tho and are good. i have all them on vinyl though so cigs

chveik

Quote from: bgmnts on March 22, 2020, 11:56:35 PM
Just listen to Sharp Dressed Man on repeat every day for the next 20 years and you'll never get bored of it.

I'd probably kill myself on the second day.

Dr Syntax Head

The delay guitar soloing through need you tonight is bloody beautiful. His vocals on that are ace too

Artie Fufkin

Up to Eliminator and then La Futura which is so cool. My fave album of that particular year.

The swagger and groove of "Just Got Paid" is fucking godlike. I'm a massive fan of Billy Gibbons but that rhythm section is tighter than Rod Stewart's keks.

idunnosomename

as much as i love the 70s albums I've gotta admit i love shit like Rough Boy and Burger Man too

popcorn

I only know the big obvious hits by ZZ Top but this thread has reminded me that I love them.

Interested in hearing about how they changed and the use of drum machines and stuff. Anyone know what machines they used? Is that not a real kit on Sharp Dressed Man? I think the fill after the chorus is the most satisfying fill to air drum in the world.

My single favourite ZZ Top moment is the big guitar slide after the first line in Gimme All Your Lovin'. Perfectly executed live here. Such an effective "OK, we're fucking in now". In fact it disappoints me that it doesn't happen in every verse.

jobotic

I feel I've mentioned them so many times on here. I remember a thread about tiny little bits in songs that you find satisfying and my choice was the little ch-chk before I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide begins.

Fucking wish I was bad and nationwide.

idunnosomename

Even the bass on Eliminator is synth, except i guess the solo breaks on Thug and Tv dinners. Its just Gibbons in the studio on his bill essentially

I dont know enough about tech to know what drum machines they had in the 80s. Search google for Terry Manning eliminator and you'll get some stuff. Eg
https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=33190

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: magval on March 23, 2020, 12:00:55 AM
Have to be careful on Spotify as some of the albums have the drums remixed (replaced?) and sound awful. Using a drum machine later on is one thing, but going back and replacing John Beard recordings is just fucking bullshit.

Which ones? Tres Hombres is ok and I heard they went back and put Eliminator style drums all over it when it got released to CD.

popcorn

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 24, 2020, 09:27:12 AM
I dont know enough about tech to know what drum machines they had in the 80s. Search google for Terry Manning eliminator and you'll get some stuff. Eg
https://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=33190

Listen, pal, I don't want to search Google, I want Buzby to come in and explain it all for me. Capiche?

steveh

The new Netflix doc on them is worth a watch. Not the most exciting of stories compared to, say, those on Mike Judge's Tales from the Tour Bus but enjoyable enough and lifted by the performances they did for it.

The Culture Bunker

Wasn't part of their move towards using synths/drum machines inspired by being taken with OMD's sound, after appearing with them on (presumably) the Old Grey Whistle Test?

Can't say I'm a huge fan, but I do like the idea of a group of grizzled Texas blues guys seeing these weird geeks from Birkenhead and thinking "yeah, we need some of this!"