Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:22:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

who else is still at work

Started by kittens, March 22, 2020, 11:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 26, 2020, 08:46:17 AM
I want to murder coin man. Fuckin. Red mist

Just ask him how much he won yesterday, might piss him off a bit at least. Amusement arcades are presumably shut at the moment as well as pubs though so he must be using the machines in chip shops or something.

Danger Man

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on March 26, 2020, 12:47:32 AM
There's this bloke in his 80s who come in EVERY WEEK to get £50 of 50ps and £60 of pound coins. It's weird and pointless at the best of times.  Doesn't run a business, just "likes to have change". HE CAME IN TODAY. I was like, mate, what do you actually NEED these coins for?

Kew Gardens 50p is worth 100 quid in the unlikely event he finds one. There are several other valuable 50ps in circulation.

Same with pound coins. Ones with Edinburgh City on the back are worth around £30.

Icehaven

My boss dropped a work laptop off to me this morning (while keeping the recommended distance) so I can get access to the council network and more of my files etc. I couldn't log in to it so called the IT helpdesk to explain. Apparently the problem was that the first time you log in to it has to be from inside a council building, so he asked where I lived and told me it was probably the main office building in Birmingham city centre. While I was trying to work out if he was seriously suggesting I went there, he then had a brainwave:

Him "Oh I know what you could try, is there a library near you? You could take it there."

Me: "No mate, they're all closed at the moment. That's actually why I'm working from home."

Him "Oh right yeah, of course."

Ffs.

kittens

been furloughed on 80% pay from april 1st. bless you mr boris johnson.

Crabwalk

Nice of him to reward you for having him on your radio show.

Crabwalk

Me and wife are still working full time from home while trying to homeschool our son, who has a learning disability which means he can't focus on anything for more than about 3 minutes (literally) without adult support.

FUN

purlieu

I just got a phone call offering me a job interview. Unfortunately, I've been applying for jobs in Manchester, 100 miles away, and even if I pass the phone interview, moving to a new city is not really a possibility at the moment. Given that I'm certain moving out of my parents' place and having some income would do my mental health the world of good, and is something I've been desperately seeking for a long time now, this is really quite a fucking blow.

Pseudopath

Quote from: icehaven on March 26, 2020, 01:57:29 PM
My boss dropped a work laptop off to me this morning (while keeping the recommended distance) so I can get access to the council network and more of my files etc. I couldn't log in to it so called the IT helpdesk to explain. Apparently the problem was that the first time you log in to it has to be from inside a council building

Fucking hell. "Cached credentials"...they teach you that on the first day of IT School. They sound like absolute clowns.

Jasha

Given a company letterheaded 'to whom it may concern' letter[nb]a photocopy[/nb] today saying I work in an essential industry[nb] it's not, it's really really not[/nb] and on production of my work id I am allowed out to play. Then like an idiot I left it on my bench. Seems it's only a short step before plod start stopping people and demanding to see your papers

Pranet

That's interesting. No sign of anything like that for us. I think I'd welcome it if I was on my way to work and the police ordered me home.

Cloud

Sort of getting mixed messages.  I'm on a list of "key staff" which makes me feel positive about my job, but also the only one of said key staff who has been considered expendable enough to be furlonged for 2 weeks in April.  Make up your minds, am I useful or not!
I mean, I'm delighted to have 2 weeks off for 80% pay, bring it on, but will I still have a job when everything blows over is the more pertinent question. 

BritishHobo

I've got one of those essential industry letters! What a fucking clown I feel. 'Oh you've got a letter from the top brass, I do apologise, you must be a nurse or a fireman, thank you you absolute hero.' NO MATE. I PRINT OUT FUCKING E-MAILS.

Plans 'in the next few days' to begin shutting 'some' venues and sending 'some' staff home. Implement some split-shift rotas. Coming soon, that is. Next week maybe? Oh, no rush pal, no fucking rush.

Zetetic

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 26, 2020, 03:59:36 PM
Fucking hell. "Cached credentials"...they teach you that on the first day of IT School. They sound like absolute clowns.
Is pre-caching credentials a thing you can do with Windows?

(I don't work in IT, but I'm curious.)

Puce Moment

Quote from: purlieu on March 26, 2020, 03:45:08 PMI just got a phone call offering me a job interview. Unfortunately, I've been applying for jobs in Manchester, 100 miles away, and even if I pass the phone interview, moving to a new city is not really a possibility at the moment. Given that I'm certain moving out of my parents' place and having some income would do my mental health the world of good, and is something I've been desperately seeking for a long time now, this is really quite a fucking blow.

Hey purlieu - people are still renting short let rooms in Manchester during this whole thing. It would be a doddle to sort out remotely - you just need to get a lift there with stuff.

purlieu

It'd need to be a one bed place that allows pets which isn't always easy in the first place, but I suppose I should do the research at least, ta!

bgmnts

I dont even need to half heartedly job search anymore.

I hope this virus never ends!

Mr Eggs

Quote from: Mr Eggs on March 23, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
Might get to go on the bins if enough bin lads are off.

YAAAAASSSSS! ON THE FUCKIN BINS!!

In a genius move, our council are taking on agency staff from all over the place to take on THE BINS to cover staff off.

Had a lovely 3 days in the sun evicting dick heads from outdoor gyms/kids play areas then locking the gates down with steel banding.

Word on the streets is I'm on a list to become a pest control officer. Our rates are;

Domestic properties
Rats - £85.50
Mice - £85.50
Cockroaches - £114
Bedbugs - £170
Fleas - £114
Wasps* - £63.50
Bees - £63.50
Ants - £58.50
Squirrels - £170
Cluster fly - £114
Book Lice - £114
Carpet beetle - £114

*per nest, dickhead.

Dex Sawash

Do prices include VAT? Running low on bees now.

Icehaven

Quote from: Mr Eggs on March 28, 2020, 11:20:49 AM
Had a lovely 3 days in the sun evicting dick heads from outdoor gyms/kids play areas then locking the gates down with steel banding.

Can you come round my way please, the park up the road from us was apparently rammed on Thursday and yesterday.

Mr Eggs

Quote from: icehaven on March 28, 2020, 11:40:03 AM
Can you come round my way please, the park up the road from us was apparently rammed on Thursday and yesterday.

Our parks are still open ( Essential exercise green space. Car parking closed at most ). We just took a decision to nail down areas with contact surfaces (Not that we've done anything about park benches).

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 28, 2020, 11:39:17 AM
Do prices include VAT? Running low on bees now.

I'll post you as many Cluster Flies as I can lasso, my old cock. I'll post you a kilo of bees (2.20462 pounds), as soon as I get my  peaked hat and armband. I'll compress them into a brick for ease of postage and you can rehydrate them with sugar water individually like they do on youtube.

markburgle

I'm still out working as a fire alarms tester and deliveroo cyclist. Trying to keep my long-established, non-covid related need to constantly clear my throat/ blow my nose in even slightly cold weather on the down-low in front of customers/other riders. Luckily bought a bottle of hand sanitizer while there was still some to be had

peanutbutter

Working from home, working through the weekend, I kind of get the impression that senior staff members that are usually extremely busy all day every day being stuck at home is resulting in a lot of really poorly thought out changes in direction that are gonna leave everything a total fucking mess in a few months.

Gulftastic

My first day being able to work from home. Weird as heck. Obviously more boring without the surrounding office hubbub but having the telly on was too distracting, especially when Sky Comedy are showing 30 Rock all afternoon.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Still at work. There's a grace period till 6pm Monday so the bosses can decide who's an essential worker and who should stay home. Which means I get to spend Monday trying to get a straight fucking answer out of my managers as to whether I should come in or not.

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 28, 2020, 10:22:48 PM
Still at work. There's a grace period till 6pm Monday so the bosses can decide who's an essential worker and who should stay home. Which means I get to spend Monday trying to get a straight fucking answer out of my managers as to whether I should come in or not.

I've been stood down since Friday night but, going by the Government's Essential Worker list, if you squint a bit and cross your fingers, I could be classed as such. I'm on a roster to be set up to work from home but am one of the "Low Priority" (No family commitments and no underlying health issues) ones so missed last week's list. AFAIK, I was due to go home this week coming so I'm waiting on a text from work to let me know if I'm to go in tomorrow or not.

The Giggling Bean

I'm still in work but there's very little to do. My wife is also still in work but they've changed her rota so she's off more than she's in. Unfortunately we've been left in a really tricky position for childcare. The nursery my daughter went to closed down on Friday due to the owner having to go into shielding for 12 weeks. She arranged for my daughter to go to another nursery, they agreed and it was all sorted...until Thursday when they said they were closing down due to only having 3 children in. As my wifes new rota includes a "standby" week where she may or may not be in we don't know how best to approach a new nursery regarding that uncertainty.

Neither of us can work from home, my folks have gone into isolation and her family live an hour train journey away.

Abnormal Palm

I'm still working on site a few days a week and a lot of managing by email from home which takes a lot longer so been pretty busy. Usually just one/two people in at a time so very safe for me personally but pretty stressful for front line staff.  Total lockdown for any other visitors. So far no outbreaks, thank fuck. I have about two months worth of food in cupboards and freezers so I don't go the supermarket or anything. Living off online deliveries and just making crossbow bolts of an evening.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Working from home from tomorrow.

jobotic

Working from work tomorrow.

My chest has been hurting all day but I also managed a run so it must be in my head. Can't wait.

chocky909

I'm about to start a 7 day week at a job with barely anything to do anymore. I'm in a microbiology lab and the bulk of samples have stopped coming in. Some people are very busy dealing with high risk Covid positive and suspected samples but I am not dealing directly with those as of yet. After an initial crazy week or so at the beginning of the month and after allocating tasks to other departments the last two weeks has become so slow for the number of staff at hand and we are down about a third due to various sickness and 'at risk' staff staying away. Some of them will be back this week too and I feel like I am causing unnecessary risk to myself, others and my family being in that environment and travelling on public transport. Hopefully I'll be moving out of my flat for a while soon to avoid the exposure to my dad but I still think my bosses could perhaps send some people home for short periods. They have in fact been asking people to cancel leave instead when I could really do with extra time off for stress relief. I wouldn't mind risking myself if it was for anything worth being there for. Perhaps the  workload will increase soon as more patients come in or but at the moment it is very frustrating. Communication is very poor and no one is cleaning surfaces regularly which I am very close to proper kicking off about. I'm also feeling pretty physically unwell most days with aches and sore throat but this has been since December so I'm not being sent home for that! Meh.