Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 05:06:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

who else is still at work

Started by kittens, March 22, 2020, 11:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Poodle Basher

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on March 29, 2020, 09:32:44 PM
Working from home from tomorrow.

Not for me. Got a text yesterday evening ordering me to stay at home for the next two weeks on full pay. According to my colleagues who are WFH, nothing works properly and management won't answer any calls or emails so I reckon I'm doing well by staying out of this. I'm not too concerned for my job as, thanks to poor management and planning, about 30-odd of us have been left unable to WFH because of their "Sure, it'll be grand, I suppose" attitude. This number includes most of the line managers and technical team so they're pretty screwed right now.

Moribunderast

Was/am still at work. Got my redundancy notice today (company I work for has been ravaged by the new climate, as have many) but am still being asked to work until either the Government shuts us down or the work dries up and I'm no longer required. Money-wise I should be okay between the redundancy payout and welfare (as long as the Australian welfare service can keep up with the promises our Government is making) but, fuck. I was really hoping to avoid having to look for work in the coming months when every other freshly unemployed loser like me is in search of a wage. Not going to have a pity party because there are so many in my position or worse but I have certainly let the alcohol demons rage tonight. Will likely still be drunk when I front up to work tomorrow. What can they do? Make me more redundant?

I've just been told to attend a training session tomorrow morning at the food distribution hub the council has set up. I'll be delivering food and care packages to the elderly and vulnerable, and obviously I'll be pilfering but I won't know what's in the packages until tomorrow. When I've filled every available storage space in my house I'll be selling the excess at massively inflated prices so watch this space.

alan nagsworth

Things are suddenly looking bad for me. My colleague, who is only a week or two shy of passing her 3-month probation period, has just called and told me she has been laid off. Since my particular department is closed until the pandemic dies down (which could be months), I have no official role and was doing basic admin work in the brief period before our offices closed their doors.

My contract states that they reserve the right to introduce a "period of temporary lay off without pay where this is necessary to avoid redundancies, where work cannot be performed due to exceptional circumstances, or where there is a shortage of work." I suddenly feel completely and utterly fucked.

I held a promising position at this company but due to the circumstances it could be a long time before that becomes stable again, so unless they decide to let me carry on doing that basic admin work from home (which seems highly unlikely now) I am faced with the dilemma of potentially being temporarily laid off and applying for benefits or trying to find another job in this ravaged fucking hell of a country. I'm seriously fucking shitting it.

Dex Sawash

0 bookings for today. Normies are cleaning up, fuck that. We are on piecework pay so $0.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 30, 2020, 02:57:18 PM
Things are suddenly looking bad for me. My colleague, who is only a week or two shy of passing her 3-month probation period, has just called and told me she has been laid off. Since my particular department is closed until the pandemic dies down (which could be months), I have no official role and was doing basic admin work in the brief period before our offices closed their doors.

My contract states that they reserve the right to introduce a "period of temporary lay off without pay where this is necessary to avoid redundancies, where work cannot be performed due to exceptional circumstances, or where there is a shortage of work." I suddenly feel completely and utterly fucked.

I held a promising position at this company but due to the circumstances it could be a long time before that becomes stable again, so unless they decide to let me carry on doing that basic admin work from home (which seems highly unlikely now) I am faced with the dilemma of potentially being temporarily laid off and applying for benefits or trying to find another job in this ravaged fucking hell of a country. I'm seriously fucking shitting it.

Phew, just been told I'm furloughed on the 80% wage scheme. A few hundred quid less per month is far less terrifying than potentially having to live on about £450 a month housing benefit or trying to find another job I can do from home which I'd end up sacking off in a few months time anyway.

Surviving, for now...

Small Man Big Horse

Really pleased to hear that Nags, must be a huge relief.

I'm working from home as always but the downside is that the people I live with are here during the day with nothing to do and a couple of them are noisy cunts and then some. Thinking of murdering them and making it look like the Coronavirus did them in, which I'm sure should be pretty easy if I only stab them a few times or so.

Just carve the word "VIRUS" into their foreheads when you're done, to throw the coroner off the scent.

Pink Gregory

Might be going back out on t'graves on a sort of somewhat voluntary basis, if that keeps us from being furloughed that'd be ideal, but we'll see.

Jasha

25 agency staff laid off Friday night (they snidely get the agency to send them a text an hour AFTER work), only 5 temps all day instead of the usual 10 so told to run a skeletal output regardless of the build sheet. Hoping for the 80% to kick in as it's pointless being here but heard a rumour the unions and bosses are in discussion about a 10% pay cut. So go to work for 90% or stop at home for 80

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 30, 2020, 04:55:42 PM
Really pleased to hear that Nags, must be a huge relief.

I'm working from home as always but the downside is that the people I live with are here during the day with nothing to do and a couple of them are noisy cunts and then some. Thinking of murdering them and making it look like the Coronavirus did them in, which I'm sure should be pretty easy if I only stab them a few times or so.

You still living with that absolute fuckin bellsprout from the old GB thread?

imitationleather

Pleased to hear it worked out for you nags.

I'm entertaining Chinese kids online for four hours per day and it is very good to have a bit of structure and a reason to make sure I sleep and get up and shower and so on. If I had potentially six months stuck at home with just my idle hands then the devil would no doubt be employing them to do a lot of work indeed.

bgmnts

Quote from: imitationleather on March 30, 2020, 07:26:16 PM
I'm entertaining Chinese kids online for four hours per day

How'd you get this? What is it?

I've been bored dolescum for 9 months, wouldnt mind getting some cash to entertain children for a bit.

imitationleather

It's teaching them English but they sure as hell are not learning anything while I have anything to do with it.

shiftwork2

How about how small your nob is?

imitationleather

Yeah right. When lady horses see a male horse with a particularly big one they say he's hung like an imitationleather.

phes

I'm at work. NHS but I only qualified a couple of months ago. Started my first post last week. They are gradually minimising face to face contact with patients and so because I'm supernumerary the idea of a normal preceptorship period is in ribbons. I trained in another hospital with very different machines and software, so I'm out of my depth and basically a spare pair of hands. I've spent a lot of time at the front of the treatment centre verbally screening people, taking observations and frantically trying to sanitise everything patients come in contact with. One of the treatment rooms is being prepped as a 'dirty' room (nice), though we are hoping to keep the number of known Covid patients requiring our treatment to a minimum. Just hoping I don't end up getting drafted to a disease ridden ward, though I'm also working on the assumption that I've had or will likely get Covid. I live alone so I'm grateful to work in a busy department through this time as all real life social, sexual and romantic connections have been severed.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 30, 2020, 05:57:11 PM
You still living with that absolute fuckin bellsprout from the old GB thread?

Fortunately not, I moved to a new place when I split up with the Danish Mrs SMBH last year. I do mostly like this new lot, I just wish they were a bit quieter, Internet Star Big Heath*, for instance, while being a friendly chap seems to have no consideration for others when he's writing new songs.

* https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJDlZWjF7hQ

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mr Eggs on March 28, 2020, 11:20:49 AM
Carpet beetle - £114
just for one beetle?!??! that must be one tough cookie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

non capisco

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 30, 2020, 09:07:34 PM
Fortunately not, I moved to a new place when I split up with the Danish Mrs SMBH last year. I do mostly like this new lot, I just wish they were a bit quieter, Internet Star Big Heath*, for instance, while being a friendly chap seems to have no consideration for others when he's writing new songs.

Songs about missing in action CaB posters, no less!

My favourite one of his is 'ginyard'. That's a jam, man.

Ferris

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 30, 2020, 09:07:34 PM

That's a fucking tune. Cranking that in our gaff now.

I used to wear one of those tootal cravats when I was a teenager, first conversation with my son's godfather was over the fact we were the only wankers in the pub wearing them. Soulmates.

wooders1978

Mana,Genentech at our place seem to be in denial about it all, I was asked to provide two financial forecasts yesterday by our finance manager, one where covid19 is happening, and one where it isn't - I fucking wish I was kidding

Jasha

Managed to spread 2 hours work over a shift with the whole afternoon spent loafing between departments achieving sod all except to look busy

Cloud

Now continuing to work from home rather than go on the furlong thing.  The fact it suggests they'd rather pay me 100% than 0% (as the government pays the 80% if they choose the latter) despite the difficult times ahead is quite heartening.  Hopefully that means "not fired soon"

Been told I can finish up to one hour early to reduce my contact with others. Luckily, covid-19 is at it's most contagious between 16:30 and 17:30, so I'm quids in. There are caveats though. I have to reduce my lunch breaks and I need to have no work left to complete when I leave.

A cynic would say they've done this to look like they did something just in case one of us ends up gravely ill. Personally, I shan't be taking them up on the offer as I'd have to leave my team working their full shifts and I don't really want to look like a massive cunt to gain what will probably work out at about 15 minutes of extra free time.

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Still at work. Got some proper PPE now so feel a bit safer though. Still waiting for the shit to the hit the fan.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Best wishes to everyone, hope you all pull through this.

Looks like the mortgage market is tightening up which will badly affect our Residential Conveyancing department.

Meanwhile, I *should* be OK as a senior employee in the Remortgage department who handles complaints, because boy is there going to be a mountain of them. I can also do the job from home. Sometimes you have to count your lucky stars, even when things are only just 'not as shit as they could be'.

shiftwork2

I am.  I'm responsible for a mainly outpatient service in a District General.  I returned yesterday to find that pretty much every concern that is not related to Covid-19 has been postponed until the summer. Everything is on hold.  Breast cancer surgery now postponed for at least 12 weeks, chemo performed (if at all, a lot has just been cancelled altogether) without the standard work-up, palliative radiotherapy cancelled as we can't deliver it safely.  I hope in the final analysis that this cost features as prominently as the headline numbers.

These patients are well known to us and it is absolutely gutting.  I got a text this evening to say that our staff nurse is now self-isolating and is of course following protocol, that leaves us with 2 out of 9 and the expectation on my part that we will have to close down altogether very soon.  It is corona or nowt for the foreseeable.

The hospital is adapting and is as eerie a place as you could ever wish to see.  We had 2 Covid-19 wards on Monday; by Friday there will be seven.  There is a sense on my part that this is all calm and sensibly managed and totally necessary, but we will see.

peanutbutter

Furloughed today, reckon I'm out about a thousand a month due to the £2500 cap.

Not too worried atm, still more than I spend in a month and the two months notice still applies at full wages... Some of the people on similar money or more with families almost certainly are taking this hit much harder.

Def assuming there's a decent chance I'll need a new job in a matter of weeks though, so will be keeping my eyes peeled.

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 31, 2020, 09:44:20 PM
I am.  I'm responsible for a mainly outpatient service in a District General.  I returned yesterday to find that pretty much every concern that is not related to Covid-19 has been postponed until the summer. Everything is on hold.  Breast cancer surgery now postponed for at least 12 weeks, chemo performed (if at all, a lot has just been cancelled altogether) without the standard work-up, palliative radiotherapy cancelled as we can't deliver it safely.  I hope in the final analysis that this cost features as prominently as the headline numbers.
Fucking hell... are there cases where this kind of thing is pretty much a death sentence or would things still go ahead for them?