Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:44:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

who else is still at work

Started by kittens, March 22, 2020, 11:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

3 and a half grand a month wages? Daaaaamn

gib

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2020, 10:25:10 PM

fucking hell yeah, with my outgoings i could retire after a few years of pulling that in

peanutbutter

Quote from: bgmnts on March 31, 2020, 10:25:10 PM
more than that pre tax, less than that after tax.

£2500 on furlough is all at the lower income tax, so it's about £1950 in real terms. The actual amount that arrived into my account monthly was something like £2900, I _think_

touchingcloth

My company is using a mix of furlough, pay cuts, hiring freezes and a smattering if redundancies you keep us afloat, supposedly with the cash not running out for a year's time rather than this summer once the savings are all in. My own job is safe for now, but as well as shitting myself at the future prospects I'm also gutted for my colleagues being laid off or having to stay under lockdown without even a job to occupy them.

We looked into getting a loan to help not have to furlough people, but we took on some venture capital recently which has been used to allow us to expand but while making a loss, and the banks don't want to touch a loss-making business at the moment.

Anyone with a persistent funny feeling in the pit of your stomach, I can definitely sympathise.

peanutbutter

What exactly is furlough in real terms? Is it just telling the employee to seek more stable opportunities elsewhere if they can?

idunnosomename

touchingcloth

Quote from: peanutbutter on April 01, 2020, 12:33:17 AM
What exactly is furlough in real terms? Is it just telling the employee to seek more stable opportunities elsewhere if they can?

For the people I know on furlough, it's staying at home on 80% pay and waiting for the call to come to say that work is on again. We were told that working elsewhere while on furlough is fine.

peanutbutter

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 01, 2020, 09:03:45 AM
For the people I know on furlough, it's staying at home on 80% pay and waiting for the call to come to say that work is on again. We were told that working elsewhere while on furlough is fine.
For over the 2500 cap though (so over a 30k salary, which isn't a big salary in London), surely the implication is "this is as much as the state is willing to cover while you find a new job as your current one is up in the air right now"? Like, obviously I'm fine but there's definitely coworkers with dependents who will not be able to a take a 50% pay drop very abruptly.

Also, legally you're not allowed do other work while on furlough. You can volunteer but you cannot collect any kind of payment.

earl_sleek

I work in the care sector so very much still at work. As a manager I can work from home most of the time (and did about 50% of the time even before corona) but obviously it's a very stressful time. I am grateful that my job is relatively secure, however, and that I work for an organisation that actually gives a shit about staff and is trying it's best to look after them.

SteveDave

I'm still working from home despite there being very little to do. I'm also having to stand up at my "desk" because my back is fucked from sitting on a wooden chair rather than fancy swivel office chair all last week. This has caused my legs to ache though. DS.

Jasha

The emails finally come round that the shutdown starts Friday the 3rd for 4 weeks. All contracted employees will receive full pay made up of 80% from the government and lose of a lieu day per week, so 4 weeks off full pay for the cost of 4 days holiday. Sounds great except that certain key staff are 'requested' to come in and work as normal (like muggins here). Big rows that the union agreed to this when some of us are going to be risking our health for the next month with no recompense other than not having to use 4 lieu days

touchingcloth

Quote from: peanutbutter on April 01, 2020, 11:17:51 AM
For over the 2500 cap though (so over a 30k salary, which isn't a big salary in London), surely the implication is "this is as much as the state is willing to cover while you find a new job as your current one is up in the air right now"? Like, obviously I'm fine but there's definitely coworkers with dependents who will not be able to a take a 50% pay drop very abruptly.

Also, legally you're not allowed do other work while on furlough. You can volunteer but you cannot collect any kind of payment.

Apologies, I didn't take in the "do other work" during our company meeting properly as it was all a bit shocking - you're right, and the reality is we are saying the furloughed can volunteer or train, with the company providing some training options for people who are interested.

Presumably the £2,500 is take home given that it's being provided by the government so applying tax and NI to it would be...odd. £25,000 take home pay is closer to £40k gross, though having never worked in London I have no idea what passes for an acceptable professional salary there.

Cloud

I'd be happy to be on 1500 a month, the cap is a distant dream...

But yeah still being in a job is nice, the government website literally worded it as intended for people who would've otherwise been laid off.  Mine were obviously thinking about it and had a change of heart upon seeing a bit more tangible evidence that I don't just sit with my thumb up my arse all day.

touchingcloth

How much of the day do you sit with your thumb up your arse?

peanutbutter

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 01, 2020, 07:01:06 PM
Apologies, I didn't take in the "do other work" during our company meeting properly as it was all a bit shocking - you're right, and the reality is we are saying the furloughed can volunteer or train, with the company providing some training options for people who are interested.

Presumably the £2,500 is take home given that it's being provided by the government so applying tax and NI to it would be...odd. £25,000 take home pay is closer to £40k gross, though having never worked in London I have no idea what passes for an acceptable professional salary there.
Nope, tax and national insurance seems to apply as it's still considering an income from your employer but the employer gets reimbursed. Tax definitely does but there's some £300 figure around national insurance I don't totally understand which I've seen mentioned in some articles on it. On the whole it all almost seems deliberately unclear tbh.
I reckon a lot of furloughed staff are going to be very surprised when they see their payslips in a couple of weeks.

I'd guess the average graduate salary in London is somewhere around £25k.

Cloud

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 01, 2020, 07:46:45 PM

Only 10 minutes or so for a prostate massage

Jasha

Quote from: touchingcloth on April 01, 2020, 07:46:45 PM

Cloud has an assistant to sit with their thumb up his(her?) arse

Cloud

he/him/his

I'll let you know if it changes

Dewt

How in the fuck do people live in London on anything less than 80K

touchingcloth

It would be unfair if an employer to frown upon a meagre ten minutes of bum thumbing, especially if as I assume it takes place responsibly during your lunch break.

Sherringford Hovis

Back from enforced use-em-by-April-1st-or-lose-em hols for mere minutes and a small hospital fire that would've been international news if it had gone even a little bit wrong has already brightened my afternoon.

Didn't go there ourselves - while Swinedump's five trucks were occupied we and another charabanc of gibbering yokels were brought in from neighbouring towns as "standby" - two fire engines, nine firefighters in total available in a town of 200,000 people. We were kept fairly busy...

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dewt on April 01, 2020, 10:36:18 PM
you get a cardboard box flatten it out and put it in a shop doorway

Old Thrashbarg

I don't understand why companies (in the UK) that aren't going bust are making anyone redundant. Why aren't they just putting everyone they consider redundant currently on furlough? It costs them nothing and it means if/when things return to normal they just bring their employees back, rather than having to recruit again. Am I missing something?

peanutbutter

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on April 02, 2020, 04:13:14 PM
I don't understand why companies (in the UK) that aren't going bust are making anyone redundant. Why aren't they just putting everyone they consider redundant currently on furlough? It costs them nothing and it means if/when things return to normal they just bring their employees back, rather than having to recruit again. Am I missing something?
They have to pay the money upfront and then claim it back from the government. Basically you need to be sure you can actually cover the costs of the furloughed amounts for the two month period as you might not get the money back for a while.

Quote from: Dewt on April 01, 2020, 10:36:18 PM
I could totally living on 30k in London renting this shit studio (which costs less than a lot of rooms) tbh, I think the fact I (a piece of trash that could live on £10 a week if I needed to) could just barely pull that off highlights how the furlough cap in London is really too small for anyone with dependents who is renting though. It's probably manageable for the people who can postpone their mortgage payments.

Jasha

One fella got marched out today for coughing by 2 full haz suits gloves masks visors the lot. Rumour is that those of us still in next week will have our temperatures taken on entering the building

imitationleather

When my alarm goes off in the morning I curse that I'm not one of the bastard lucky unemployed people.

earl_sleek

I got my letter on Friday telling me I'm high risk and need to shield for 12 weeks. So I'm stuck inside for 3 months, but can still work - it's the worst of both worlds.

Alberon

I went in to work for the first time in about three weeks this morning. Just for a couple of hours to do some Fire Alarm tests. The university was more empty than it is even in the middle of August.

Bit weird really.

Mr Eggs

I'm now a trainee crematorium technician. Burning folk and cremulating them whilst Eva Cassidy/The Shaddows/Abide With Me plays em in or out.

If I do a 100, I get to do one under exam conditions and then I get a qualification.

Just weird as fuck. If you die, might be me fishing the coffin screws out of your bone fragments WITH MY MAGNETIC ROD.

Dex Sawash

Red Turd Brigade, BINS! and now this. Living the dream.