Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:31:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

who else is still at work

Started by kittens, March 22, 2020, 11:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Al Tha Funkee Homosapien on March 23, 2020, 10:55:58 AM
I'm 100% guaranteed to get covid-19 so am basically not seeing any family and friends (apart from girlfriend) for the next 12 months.

Why 12 months?

I guess I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it, seeing as I'm having to travel on a train to then go and visit families in their homes. Don't foresee a year break from my friends and parents though.

Icehaven

Quote from: icehaven on March 22, 2020, 09:46:41 PM
I mentioned my workplace's lack of response a few days ago but I've just had an update from a colleague (I've been on leave for a few days) and apparently as of Friday they're continuing to do absolutely nothing. Given the environment (a clink) I can't quite believe this. It's genuinely irresponsible, downright dangerous and absolutely fucking typical of the total lack of ability of the management to make any kind of decision or plan. Luckily I don't work for them directly so I can contact my outside managers and ask them what I should do. Two of the blokes working with us at the moment have very serious underlying health conditions (one had a kidney transplant years ago that's had serious repercussions, the other is HIV positive), we have a duty of care, how can they possibly justify risking their lives like this?

Further to this I came back to work today and yep, I still have to come in, totally pointlessly as I have no customers as they're unable to move around the place (I can't say directly but there's a VERY OBVIOUS REASON why). Spoke to my outside managers and they aren't really much use either. All outside libraries are shut but they're still making the staff go in, absolute fucking ridiculous joke.

holyzombiejesus

Every year we get this anonymous online survey emailed to us about how our employers are doing. I can not fucking wait for this year's. It was less than a week ago we were being told "business as usual" and hearing that senior management were "angry about the amount of people working from home".

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: icehaven on March 23, 2020, 11:38:40 AM
Further to this I came back to work today and yep, I still have to come in, totally pointlessly as I have no customers as they're unable to move around the place (I can't say directly but there's a VERY OBVIOUS REASON why). Spoke to my outside managers and they aren't really much use either. All outside libraries are shut but they're still making the staff go in, absolute fucking ridiculous joke.

What are you doing then? Dusting?

Blue Jam

Called in sick today. Probably not Covid-19 but I do genuinely feel bloody awful and I have a bit of a cough which would just freak everyone out. There is talk of the university going on lockdown from next week, finally.

Just volunteered to do Covid-19 testing for the NHS but I'm not sure I have the right skillset. Done more old-school PCR but can process samples and that. We shall see. It would stop me going mad at home and I'd get a sexy hazmat suit at least.

Icehaven

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 23, 2020, 11:45:52 AM
What are you doing then? Dusting?

I'm doing fuck all because there's fuck all to do, but it's apparently imperative I'm here anyway. My colleague is on leave this week so it's just me all alone in the office, twiddling my thumbs and looking forward to my second bus journey of the day to get home and then doing it all again tomorrow. I may suddenly "develop symptoms" and have to stay off for 2 weeks, because this is taking the piss. 

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 23, 2020, 11:31:03 AM
Why 12 months?

I guess I'm pretty much guaranteed to get it, seeing as I'm having to travel on a train to then go and visit families in their homes. Don't foresee a year break from my friends and parents though.

https://ftalphaville.ft.com/2020/03/17/1584439125000/That-Imperial-coronavirus-report--in-detail-/

Until a vaccine is available we will probably need to practice social distancing for 12-18 months. My parents and in-laws are both in their 70s and currently I won't know if I've had covid-19. We don't really know if previous infection provides immunity. Obviously an antigen testing ability would be helpful. At the moment I'm just mentally preparing myself for long term social distancing and not putting loved ones at risk.

Mr Eggs

Might get to go on the bins if enough bin lads are off.

YAAAAASSSSS! ON THE FUCKIN BINS!!

SteveDave

I'm working from home in my sons room on a laptop balanced on a toy piano standing on top of a wobbly Formica table.

I'm wearing a wooly hat, red polo shirt with a purple and green Wimbledon branded cardigan and Bert and Ernie "lounge pants". My neighbours have just gone into their garden so I've had to pull the curtains because of shame. I'm comfy though. 

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Mr Eggs on March 23, 2020, 01:03:53 PM
Might get to go on the bins if enough bin lads are off.

YAAAAASSSSS! ON THE FUCKIN BINS!!

I expect a report filed 7pm tomorrow on the experience.

AliasTheCat

Apparently work have now thrown in the towel and we're off until further notice. I'm relieved as I can't say I was much looking forward to the busy tube in the morning and the continued, pointless exposure to danger.

Alberon

Quote from: SteveDave on March 23, 2020, 02:05:43 PM
I'm working from home in my sons room on a laptop balanced on a toy piano standing on top of a wobbly Formica table.

I'm wearing a wooly hat, red polo shirt with a purple and green Wimbledon branded cardigan and Bert and Ernie "lounge pants"
. My neighbours have just gone into their garden so I've had to pull the curtains because of shame. I'm comfy though. 

You do realise now you're working from home you don't have to stick to the office dress codes?

weaseldust

i work in a jewellery shop and we're still open. we have had zero customers today and yesterday we made £2.75 - why am i here? at least i am basically self isolating since no one is coming in but i've been very anxious about it. luckily most people are doing the right thing and staying home.

WhoMe

All office based work is from home now, aside for our admin team who it sounds like have a floor each and are wiping everything down morning, noon and before leaving.
Field work carrying on for now. We do eco and arboricultural things to facilitate housing developments and generally work in rural, isolated areas, so it's just not sharing vehicles and trying to maintain a safe distance from each other on site. First time putting it into practice tomorrow, so we'll see.

AliasTheCat

Quote from: AliasTheCat on March 23, 2020, 03:18:17 PM
Apparently work have now thrown in the towel and we're off until further notice. I'm relieved as I can't say I was much looking forward to the busy tube in the morning and the continued, pointless exposure to danger.

Oh never mind, myself and a couple of my colleagues are not included as we're apparently key workers. What a fine time to discover this, fuck's sake.

Dewt

Quote from: weaseldust on March 23, 2020, 03:49:04 PM
i work in a jewellery shop and we're still open. we have had zero customers today and yesterday we made £2.75 - why am i here? at least i am basically self isolating since no one is coming in but i've been very anxious about it. luckily most people are doing the right thing and staying home.
Lots of nice stuff to put in your pocket if society collapses.

Jasha

Heard a rumour we're shutting down on Friday, bearing in mind with the exception of Perkins every other single customer has also closed it won't be a surprise.

Fake edit update : as of 15:30 today the staff canteen will be closed until further notice

Gulftastic

Quote from: Jasha on March 23, 2020, 04:46:54 PM
Heard a rumour we're shutting down on Friday, bearing in mind with the exception of Perkins every other single customer has also closed it won't be a surprise.

Fake edit update : as of 15:30 today the staff canteen will be closed until further notice

Our canteen is also take away only. You can't sit in there to eat your food. The result? The break room was cheek by jowl as people ate their lunches. Great thinking, bosses.

jobotic

We're finally closing but they want us to go into empty buildings. I suspect that this announcement will stop all that

Mobius

Still at work still catching the dirty train every day.

Most people have fucked off, people with kids and that. Us losers are going down with the ship.

Icehaven

My boss rang me half an hour ago to tell me we all have to stay home for the foreseeable future, so thank fuck for that.

Quote from: jobotic on March 23, 2020, 08:31:32 PM
We're finally closing but they want us to go into empty buildings. I suspect that this announcement will stop all that

Yep that's what all the library staff had been expected to do until this announcement, which just beggared belief. "Yes officer it is absolutely essential I go to work, I have to go and sit in an empty library all day."

kittens

i've been ordered in to work. i'll be the only one in the building and i'm to lock the door as soon as i arrive and not let anyone in. one last piss up, lads?

Keebleman

Two months ago I got a job as a security guard at the BBC.  Hourly wage is low but the shifts are all 12 hours long so it adds up quite nicely.  Prior to that my only income came from working as a film extra and stewarding at events and clubs.  Both those two lines of work are suspended indefinitely, while at the Beeb I am actually getting more shifts all the time as people cancel to self-isolate or look after kids, and even if the building is locked down they will still need us to man it.  It's one of the very rare occasions when I can actually marvel at my huge good luck.

(Funnily enough the previous very rare occasion was only last week when I did my first ever job as a voiceover artist for a radio ad.  Fee: £500.)

Ferris

Quote from: kittens on March 23, 2020, 10:09:20 PM
i've been ordered in to work. i'll be the only one in the building and i'm to lock the door as soon as i arrive and not let anyone in. one last piss up, lads?

You've been ordered to go into work and lock everyone out? Who is issuing these mad orders?

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Even after lockdown I'm probably still going to be going into work cause my job can't be done from home, it's not specifically mentioned on the pdf and my company will do everything they can to stay open cause apparently they're something to do with life changing cancer drugs and all that crap. I reckon my only way out of this now is to actually get the virus which obviously isn't ideal.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Jasha on March 23, 2020, 04:46:54 PM

Our staff canteens all shut down over the last two weeks and the vending machine company came to empty our machines of all stock so it won't be left to go off if the buildings close.

The only places left to buy food on campus now are the WH Smiths and M&S Simply Food in the hospital, and the hospital canteen which is open to the public. Basically, if we want to eat our only options all involve mingling with coughing, spluttering patients. Cheers.

Rev+

It'll only be for one day this week, but being deemed a key worker in a sodding voluntary role does make you examine your life choices a bit.  I'll be more of a selfish cunt in future, if such a thing is at all possible.

Mobius

Quote from: Mobius on March 23, 2020, 08:49:09 PM
Still at work still catching the dirty train every day.

Most people have fucked off, people with kids and that. Us losers are going down with the ship.

Just been sent home because I have a fever

And apparently cus of my ulcurative colitis I shouldn't have been out and about anyway

Gregory Torso

Boris why you don't tell me bout the post office? Now I'll have to text my manager and explain that I won't be back at work until whenever this all dies down because of my shiiiiiiit luuuuuuuungs