Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:17:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

who else is still at work

Started by kittens, March 22, 2020, 11:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Freeze

Still working here (small night shift) canteen been closed down and a few other changes. Some portaloos installed to keep some departments seperate.
Someone at a higher level has decided that they can decide we are an essential business and by typing it out and sticking it on our noticeboard that it makes it true.

We are manufacturing stuff - none of it needed for the current climate other than their/our balance sheet. I got the feeling that they thought we'd be happy with a wage coming in. Nope. Most folk really want the place shut down for a couple of weeks at least.

alan nagsworth

I've just received the notice that our offices are FINALLY CLOSED until further notice! They're going to attempt to set everyone up to work from home but I've no idea how long that's going to take. We're being paid in full regardless, though. I'm over the fucking moon. I took this week off as holiday in the vague hope that they would finally have the common sense to do what's right and it happened the very next day. That means I can cancel the holiday time I've booked from today until Friday as well. Agh this is honestly the best possible news and I really hope the rest of you still being forced to go out and work are granted the same relief ASAP.

alan nagsworth

I suppose that constitutes work to you does it?

rack and peanut

Still at work, it's a lot quieter here but I'm amazed anyone is in at all. Company is providing "vital services" for other companies- which have suspended production!

I was asked by my manager how I'd feel about working flexibly, but I got aggro when I asked if I'd be paid my wage for cancelled shifts or the 80%, haven't heard anything since.

Jasha

Fire doors now wedged open to reduce skin exposure

Icehaven

I've just been called 'the best boss' for telling a member of staff who was off on leave this week that she'll have to have a week off later in the year when this is all over because she wouldn't have been in this week anyway. She's right though to be fair, I am.

Dex Sawash

Le maire is due to announce 'shelter in place' policy for our town today. Work will continue, I reckon.

kittens

lol apparently my shop is exempt from the shutdown. might have to go back. i hope i get it and die and head office feels really bad about it.

alan nagsworth

Deyv

Shit, forgot I was meant to be in work yesterday. Hopefully no one noticed.

kittens

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 12:38:17 PM
What is your shop?

hearing aid store. all customers are ancient and understand we will be closed, but for some reason head office wants us open even though we will be unable to do anything. well, wait and see. at least they'll hopefully continue to pay me.

alan nagsworth

Seems like your requests to close up shop have fallen on deaf ears

How ironic

kittens

oh, yes, yes, and, yes, and, yes, yes, and it seems the practices of your place of work are in need of a proper(ty) inspection!!!!

rack and peanut

Aaaand just had to transfer a call to our HR department from someone whose breathing was very laboured...

Ferris

I wonder if the volume of CaB posts has increased with everyone stuck inside not working.

kittens

that's me back at work then. they're trying to get someone from another branch to come and work with me. i said given the circumstances we probably shouldn't do that, boss was like just stay away from each other. branch is tiny. fucks sake like

BritishHobo

Hard not to feel more and more worried, even despite being closed off to customers and the great measure of sitting far apart. We'll be gifted a large bottle of hand sanitizer anytime between now and middle of next week, for christ's sake. Huge outpour of anger today from many offices towards the head of the organisation, just a massive stream of cathartic vitriol in a comments section on a statement they published. So many of us are in doing things of absolutely no value, and being comforted with platitudes we all know aren't true

Ferris

My mate has been designated as essential and he works at a bike shop. He is in Bristol where this sort of thing makes no sense (cf. kittens flogging hearing aids during the apocalypse).

alan nagsworth

The "probably fine, just don't do any of the stuff the government says not to do" attitude of employers this far into the pandemic is fucking mental honestly. I mean I know this is a real test of the mettle of a lot of people in varying circumstances but this, alongside how shit the government has been so far, has got to have really soured a lot of people who ordinarily are happy to do a shite job and be treated relatively badly but are now, en masse, seeing the true colours of how utterly thoughtless and callous people with a shred of power can be to those beneath them.

As I said the other day though the overall clobber of the pandemic on the whole of society will quickly blot that out and by the time it's all finally over we will be happy to just get back to some sense of normality and everything will reset to regular awfulness again.

Schrodingers Cat

First day day back at work for me tomorrow. Been off since the day before THE EVENT started with a chest infection/cough I'm fairly certain wasn't Covid. I work on reception and admin at a GP surgery so I'm a bit nervous tbh. Partly out of fear that I'll get the 'vids, but due to my age I should be fine and I live alone so shouldn't pass it on. But also just that it's apparently been absolutely manic the last 2 weeks and I can imagine it very quickly feeling overwhelming. Just looking at my emails and everything has changed since I was last in. All routines have been disrupted and how we run day to day is different.
Not really sure where I'm going with all this...
...and...post

MrMrs

Working from home for a bank, have been since June, so aye. Quite happy for it tbh, just in terms of getting a break from it all

billyandthecloneasaurus

Bank cashier, very much still at work.  We're trying to limit entry to customers who need to do "essential" banking.  People are unbelievable.  There's this bloke in his 80s who come in EVERY WEEK to get £50 of 50ps and £60 of pound coins. It's weird and pointless at the best of times.  Doesn't run a business, just "likes to have change". HE CAME IN TODAY. I was like, mate, what do you actually NEED these coins for?

"...I just...me and my family LIKE having coins..."

"it's just...we're only really letting people come in to do ESSENTIAL banking..."

"...WELL I'VE BEEN DOING THIS FOR YEARS, HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR POLICIES?????"

Didn't have a clue how to answer that. 

Someone came in yesterday morning to open an ISA cus she "thought it would be quiet."

Today someone in her 70s came in to get a statement for the last month.  My colleague was like "well, this isn't really essential..we'll print it today, but set you up for paper statements to be delivered going forward"

She responded "WELL the government said banks need to stay open, so I will come in when I want.  Don't set me up for paper statements to be delivered, I am going to come in when I want to get them printed when I want."

What the fuck is wrong with people?

amoral

Still working, at a gas station in Idaho. Today the state finally declared a three week lockdown, but I guess we're essential. Might quit soon though as it's increasingly eerie and nightmarish going in there every day, seeing more and more customers come in wearing gloves and face masks. Also a coworker is self quarantining because she's been around someone who might have it, though the official line is she's 'on vacation'. So what do you you all think, should I quit?

Shoulders?-Stomach!

QuoteToday someone in her 70s came in to get a statement for the last month.  My colleague was like "well, this isn't really essential..we'll print it today, but set you up for paper statements to be delivered going forward"

She responded "WELL the government said banks need to stay open, so I will come in when I want.  Don't set me up for paper statements to be delivered, I am going to come in when I want to get them printed when I want."

I guess it was something to do with the presumptive way that was done. Reading that got my blood up tbh. Potentially her reaction was a combination of that and previous things? Just speculating, but maybe the fact every visit to a branch these days is having to negotiate a load of gatekeeping around 'you do know you can do this at home', rather than just accepting that people have preferences, one of which may even be helping people stay in work.

There are lots of other ways that situation may have been handled more adroitly.

Gulftastic

Told to stay home yesterday. Today they are going to deliver a desk top of so I can work from home. No idea how that's going to be.

Icehaven

Quote from: billyandthecloneasaurus on March 26, 2020, 12:47:32 AM
People are unbelievable.  There's this bloke in his 80s who come in EVERY WEEK to get £50 of 50ps and £60 of pound coins. It's weird and pointless at the best of times.  Doesn't run a business, just "likes to have change". HE CAME IN TODAY. I was like, mate, what do you actually NEED these coins for?

Fruit machines.

Everyone at my place of work (local council) was told last week that, where possible, working from home was the default until further notice.

I've put my name on the redeployment list of those who'll be asked to deliver care packages to the elderly and vulnerable, so I'll be driving a van around the borough doing that from this weekend. I'm quite looking forward to it now that bosses have reconsidered their original plan and decided that, yes, they better had pay heed to official advice about social distancing and will not now require drivers to sit side-by-side in an enclosed vehicle with a "buddy", breathing the same air for eight hours.

idunnosomename

I want to murder coin man. Fuckin. Red mist