Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:23:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ever had a song ruined for you?

Started by Dewt, March 23, 2020, 02:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Aphex Twin - Ageispolis was ruined for me by Die Antwoord - Ugly Boy (if you don't know, DON'T look it up). I simply cannot avoid thinking about the lyrics they added, rendering the song useless for chilling out to, and in turn the entire album. That album was important to me. Fucked.

pigamus

I was once in a room with my sister when Mr Jones by Counting Crows came on the radio. She thought it was the worst thing she'd ever heard. I said nothing. I was too embarrassed to admit I thought it was quite profound when I was 14. I still know all the words.

the

Quote from: Dewt on March 23, 2020, 02:07:21 AMAphex Twin

Funnily enough, I had Alberto Balsam ruined for me by seeing a fan-made video that unexpectedly had scenes of people violently dying in it, under the fistbrained belief that this was somehow a poignant statement maaan. Prick. It's such a sweet tune but I can never really shake the sense of unease when I hear it now.

El Unicornio, mang

In the Summertime by Mungo Jerry. I'm sure you all know why.

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 23, 2020, 09:12:27 AM

Lyric 'have a drink, have a drive,' used in anti drink-drive commercial in early-90s, I presume.

studpuppet

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 23, 2020, 09:12:27 AM

Was it this? That's two songs ruined for you now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1nP_DL9v8o

Gregory Torso

I once shit and puked whilst "Every Day Is A Winding Road" by Sheryl Crow teacupped round and round in my fevered brain. I'm not sure you can 'ruin' something that is already audio slurry, but anyway.
I'd been eating room temperature sushi and warm brown lettuce and started feeling unwell. At first, I was laughing about it because I was at a mate's house and he'd farted in my kicthen a few weeks earlier, so I could now paint his toilet in revenge. But when I got into the bathroom, I knew it was going to be bad.

A chain gang of hot farts fled from my arse like a crocodile of children on a school trip running across a busy road. I could almost hear my colon ordering them to come back. My knees were spasming, it was happening, and my brain just started broadcasting that song, but really just the chorus line over and over again, trying to pacify my fluttery, rebelling digestive system, maybe. Luckily I was sitting next to the bath so I was able to cry most of the sick into the plug hole, but each time the chorus ended, I'd expel another message for the tiles. Meanwhile I was absolutely peeling the glaze off the toilet bowl with this caustic evil voodoo dispatch beneath me. It was the worst time.

Every day is a winding road, I geta little bit HET! HHHUuUUUUuURRRGHGHH! no n no, please, every day is a winding road, over and over, my brain trying to calm me down in this midst of this runny apocalypse.

Every day is a fuh faded sUUUUURGH HU HUR NO HURP, pulped rice and beer fleeing my body through the nearest exits. Ever been so sick and shitting that you want to just flop down onto the floor and let it all happen, let it fly its flags freely? Utterly beaten, trembling, incapacitated, crippled and sweating, quivering on the toilet enveloped in a column of beige noise.
it rather ruined the way I felt about Cheryl Crow.

I felt totally fine the next day. Mate had to replace the shower curtain. We never talk about it now.

Dewt

Gregory Torso

It is. Care to take a stroll up it?

Dewt

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Another shitting CaB classic. Fabulous.

bgmnts

Limmy ruined the song "Wrong Way Down a One Way Street" for me.

MiddleRabbit

I ruined 'The Only Living Boy In New York' for Tim Booth out of James.

phes

I ruined an entire medley. B-side of Abbey Road. In our youth we'd wheel it out after the pub to soundtrack our descent into mental and physical incompetence. And it was great. Later in life, opportunities to enjoy this exercise evaporated and most acutely painfully with a friend who's marriage and breeding partner choice had been a catastrophic error of judgment that persists from beyond Grave in re-ruining his life every single day like a Groundhog day that had been the worst day of his life. Our relationship amounted to snatching a rare couple of hours at late notice in which we'd attempt to grasp back at happier times from his beshitten cell, in Basingstoke. One night the call came through and I raced over. We hit last-orders and chucked down a variety of revolting but practical drinks before heading to Best One who stocked all three wines: red, white and rose by Ernerst & Julio Gallo. Back at his home we called for a curry, opened the wine and he produced a bottle of what I think was Lambs Navy Rum. By the time the Chicken Dansaks arrived my liver had reached operating capacity and i'd begun the inexorable slide towards an unhappy ending. Sun King marked the rapid onset of watering-mouth and a spinning room. I staggered upstairs, the bathroom handle waggled fruitlessly in my hand so I vomited on the bathroom door, I fell though the door, the toilet cover was down so I vomited on the floor, then vomited in the bath across his children's toys. I hung over the sink vomiting and steadying myself by holding onto a very tall cabinet that contained all the house toiletries. The cabinet toppled over ejecting all the toiletries and in trying to stop it falling I vomited across the toiletries. This farce played out to Mean Mr Mustard. My friend ran upstairs to find the inexplicable scene, I woke the children and the partner. To this day it's incredible that the partner excused this and even saw the funny side, given it's fairly inexcusable and they have no sense of humour and are a maniac. One silver lining is that the destruction of their bathroom reduced my friend and partner to tears and so i was able to be a part of a very rare and shared happy memory. She was kind enough to take a photo. I haven't listened to Abbey Road in about 12 years. 

Dr Syntax Head

Really loved Bohemian like you when 13 Tales came out but then radio 1 overplay and Vodafone have rendered it unlistenable now

Dewt

I am so fucking delighted to discover that's an actual photo from the event. I thought you were posting a photo of some sitcom or other media that was similar to the situation, not the actual real deal.