Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 08:23:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Childish Gambino Album Dropped

Started by phantom_power, March 23, 2020, 10:42:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

I think that's what the cool kids say. On Spotify and the like now. Any good?

Puce Moment

Genuinely thought you meant that the release was being cancelled.

phantom_power

That's because you're not hep, daddio

Artie Fufkin

Ooooh. I'll be checking THAT bad boy out. Loved his last one.

up_the_hampipe

Oops, I think he forgot to name some of the files. And he didn't upload the cover art. I get it though, he's a busy man. Certainly wouldn't be an artistic choice, that would just be wanky.

phantom_power

Quite a lot of artists have done similar, like Kendrick, loads of electronic music. I think initially it was released as a single file so the timings for track listings made more sense. Big shrug* either way really

*Big Shrug Rest In Peace

Ja'moke

I prefer the new The Weeknd album, and I say that as someone who was massively underwhelmed by The Weeknd's previous two albums.

madhair60

Golden E. Pump

I love this so far. I'm about halfway through. 'Algorhythm' and '19.10' are bangers.

Golden E. Pump

Pauline Walnuts

alan nagsworth

The correct terminology is actually "slaps", "kersplodez" or "bumfucks".

Pseudopath

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on March 23, 2020, 11:13:31 PM
Fuck me '24.19' is incredible.

Blimey...sure is. Although bits of it weirdly keep reminding me of Kanye's Heard 'Em Say.

Artie Fufkin

Deyv

Fuck me, this album is boring. Huge disappointment. The tracks just go nowhere.

peanutbutter

It's fine, it's got that usual thing all his music has where it's all perfectly fine but the way writeups absolutely fall over themselves to present it as the most amazing thing ever puts me off. Same as Beyonce, I can never tell if any of it is okay or actually pretty good because of the chorus of voices insisting it's amazing and, like, totally capturing the cultural zeitgeist in only the way that this artist could.

rue the polywhirl

Felt like 19.10 was the only good track because of the slightly Princey, 'Men in Black' vibe to it. A lot of tracks are like an urban version of that Roger and Brian Eno record that's also been out in the past week or so with not an awful lot going on. This album presents has a 6.4% mortality rate across people of all ages because of the critical threat of boredom it poses.

thugler

It's a twatting about on his latop trying all the effects album. Definitely lacking in tunes.

Golden E. Pump

Yeah upon second listen only '19.10' and '24.19' stand up. 'Algorhythm' is good in places but it doesn't stay in the groove long enough in favour of weird effects and strange segues.

The Weeknd's album is an absolute banger, though. Thank you to whomever recommended it upthread.

EDIT: It was Ja'moke's post.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Golden E. Pump on March 28, 2020, 02:16:57 PM
Yeah upon second listen only '19.10' and '24.19' stand up. 'Algorhythm' is good in places but it doesn't stay in the groove long enough in favour of weird effects and strange segues.

The Weeknd's album is an absolute banger, though. Thank you to whomever recommended it upthread.

EDIT: It was Ja'moke's post.

Gambino's album has actually grown on me over the week, but yeah, The Weeknd's album is another level.

Golden E. Pump

'In Your Eyes' is the banger of the summer.