Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:24:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tim and Eric - Beef House

Started by Retinend, March 23, 2020, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Retinend

Dewt

I watched it last night, was exactly what I expected. Won't watch the rest.

BlodwynPig

I don't watch anything that features the first names of comedians...you know it will be crap for kidz

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 23, 2020, 08:10:47 PM
I don't watch anything that features the first names of comedians...you know it will be crap for kidz

don't you like Nathan For You?

anyway this is really shite

Famous Mortimer

It might have been a half-tolerable sketch on "Awesome Show, Great Job", I suppose.

chveik

watched the trailer, looks like they've made quite a few episodes of this. what were they thinking

The "Fucking Hell, Tim and Eric, Do Something NEW" thread on here is nearly seven years old at this point

Retinend

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on March 23, 2020, 08:46:02 PM
It might have been a half-tolerable sketch on "Awesome Show, Great Job", I suppose.

s04e01 had, as its main gag, a bizarro-sitcom just like this new show

I'm surprised everyone hates it... I thought it was funny. I liked it when he gave his wife the sex egg with the best motor on the market and goes off to do some chores.

Bazooka

It was harmless, but doesn't have the legs of House of Fools.  Tennessee Williams steals the show, I'll carry on watching it for him, was a little flat and familiar, I did laugh but I know they can knock out better gags.

Dewt

Quote from: Retinend on March 23, 2020, 09:04:27 PM

I'm surprised everyone hates it... I thought it was funny. I liked it when he gave his wife the sex egg with the best motor on the market and goes off to do some chores.
Him skulking around the doorway was the only funny bit.

jake thunder

I liked it when Tim described his music as " beach boys kokomo" or something like that. Good stuff.

It was funny, I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure I enjoyed it enough to make the effort of navigating the Adult Swim website. The kind of show I would mildly enjoy if I came across it on the TV and my remote was broken.

Beef House (show): 6.5/10.0

Jamie-Lynn Sigler (in general): 10.0/10.0

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on March 23, 2020, 08:26:56 PM
don't you like Nathan For You?

anyway this is really shite

Yes, but its not Nathan and Reginald, so its ok

Retinend

The origins of the title, or at least of "Beef Boy":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXrFKksZeRo&t=2m10s

"TIM'S A BEEF BOY BAAA HA! BAAA HAA!"

Moribunderast

Normally a fan of Tim and Eric, even their more recent efforts that many have found tired and tedious, but the first episode of this was just... terrible. No life to it, no laughs, the same joke and style they've run into the ground. I'm actually confused as to why they've even bothered? Hopefully the next episode is better.

Bazooka

Watched episode 2 and whilst there was the odd funny line, it's stale but not good stale like making breadcrumbs from? old bread, but gags we've seen before but half arsed versions. I get why they are only 11 minutes long, or 5 minutes of new material.

zomgmouse

This was pretty funny but I agree with:

Quote from: Bazooka on March 23, 2020, 09:05:06 PM
but doesn't have the legs of House of Fools.

which is what a lot of it reminded me of.

Beeeeeeeeeeeeef.

Clownbaby

I've had a total U-turn with Tim & Eric over the last year or so. I used to love Awesome Show but I watched it back a wee while ago and it seemed to be a 60/40 ratio of dud sketches to funny ones. There's a bit of a smug, tiredness to Beef House that I don't like. Their ''strange awkward men who shouldn't be anywhere near a camera'' thing is not working for me this time round and I'm can't put my finger on why

Bazooka

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 25, 2020, 08:18:26 AM
I've had a total U-turn with Tim & Eric over the last year or so. I used to love Awesome Show but I watched it back a wee while ago and it seemed to be a 60/40 ratio of dud sketches to funny ones. There's a bit of a smug, tiredness to Beef House that I don't like. Their ''strange awkward men who shouldn't be anywhere near a camera'' thing is not working for me this time round and I'm can't put my finger on why

I'd watched a load of Awesome Show clips not too long ago, and quite a bit didn't hit the mark, mainly the Cinco stuff. The child clown stuff I always thought was their weakest meterial, other than Billion Dollar Movie, I did watch the show endlessly in the 2000s stoned beyond comprehension, so I think I over saturated my T&E intake back then. I do love the father son, old guys hanging out dynamic, but that formula isn't supported by any great gags, as much as I love those actors I'm not caught off guard in Beef house.

ASFTSN

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 23, 2020, 08:10:47 PM

Based on your tastes for the weird/uncanny/disturbing I'd strongly recommend overriding this just once and watching Tim and Eric's Bedtime Stories episode entitled 'Toes'. It's brilliant.

ASFTSN

Actually thinking about it further I don't think 'Toes' actually features Tim or Eric on-screen. Hmm.

Retinend

I always had mixed feelings about Awesome Show. I think objectively a lot of the ideas were funnier in conception than execution - the contributions of DJ Doug Pound are especially hit-or-miss. I mean, he's integral to the show in lots of ways, but the bits where his frantic editing and bad-trip animations are at the focal point are not really for me. That said, I think a big part of the context of so-called "public access" TV is missing for us Brits. Not everything in the show has a punchline and I think that's because they were trying to replicate the strange things you'd see on public access from ordinary weirdos and small businesses, and the lack of resolution is sort of the point. This clicked for me when I saw the It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia episode s03e08 and they have the gang watch 2 minutes of public access.

I recently watched the 10th anniversary T&E special and it was superb. Really crystallised what was great about the show. One of the few Awesome Show episodes to be that good all the way through. I was thankful that "Chippy" didn't get a look-in.

edit: I regret writing "objectively" in the second sentence, but I meant it in opposition to the part I wrote about us lacking the context to find the public access bits as funny as the yankies might

dissolute ocelot

The best way to watch T&EASGJ is on All4, where you get 2 minutes of jokes then 2 minutes of adverts then 2 minutes of jokes then 2 minutes of adverts. It all blurs into a surreal wonderland you can leave on in the background while picking clay out of the carpet.

Clownbaby

You know, I actually still like the Cinco stuff and the Child Clowns, but a lot of the sketches with Tim and Eric being ''themselves'', and actually a few of the sketches where they were doing the bulk of the acting... Nah. The eerie/sad quality to the most upsetting and blurry Public Access bits are the parts of Awesome Show that I liked the most and still do. Despite being English and not having actually seen Public Access TV, these parts made me feel strangely nostalgic about something I hadn't quite experienced, because of how oddly authentic to a particular type of universal naff TV they were. Never quite seen owt like Casey Tatum before obviously but there was a jarring familiarity about it that just rang true for some reason, and that makes a good reference/parody/pastiche, if it is still enjoyable if you're not deeply familiar with the source. Them kinds of bits make me remember being 4 years old crying because I was scared of my birthday clown or getting lost in a dirty soft play area or puking tropical ice lollies all over red cinema carpet

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I do love Tim and Eric, but find Eric an extremely limited performer. His two fallbacks are 1. speaking in a calmly sincere voice juxtaposed against silliness or 2. unusual, awkward speech cadence, movements and gestures.

It's really emphasised when compared to Tim who has a considerably greater range.
Watching lots of T&E back to back really highlights these limitations.

Retinend

Everyone should watch this, I sincerely think, excellent piece of comedy scholarship:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn4UsGE1kmI
"tim's humour VS eric's humour" [sic]

ASFTSN

Probably favourite Tim and Eric moment for me, and it doesn't have either of them on camera.

Clownbaby

Quote from: ASFTSN on August 25, 2020, 10:07:49 PM
Probably favourite Tim and Eric moment for me, and it doesn't have either of them on camera.

I don't really know why but it absolutely got me when it cut to the silent, serenely smiling backing singer. They really had a knack for picking the most bizarrely funny faces. The woman doesn't even look particularly funny, I don't know why it made me laugh.

And then the zoom in on his face at the end. Beautiful.

McFlymo

Quote from: Clownbaby on August 25, 2020, 10:38:20 PM
I don't really know why but it absolutely got me when it cut to the silent, serenely smiling backing singer. They really had a knack for picking the most bizarrely funny faces. The woman doesn't even look particularly funny, I don't know why it made me laugh.

And then the zoom in on his face at the end. Beautiful.

Same. The cut to the smiling backing singer seemed to coincide with me smirking in a similar, oh I see what's happening here, sorta way, which caught me slightly off guard!

McFlymo

What would you say to someone who is vaguely aware of Tim & Eric, seen maybe about 30 seconds of their stuff over the years and never really got into it, but now has watched (and listened to) a few hours of the Office Hours podcast, watched 1 episode of Beef House and watched loads of Vic Berger's freaky political youtube clips?

Should I bother going back to ASGJ? What I've seen of it has never made me laugh much, it seems to instil a knowing snide grin in me, rather than big laughs, so I'm not sure it's for me, but willing to be proven wrong.

I quite like Office Hours, there's a good nature to it (and the way Tim talks to fans and interviews the celebs / comedy people) that I find cosy.