Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 06:24:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

So what do we do about bills if we're staying off work?

Started by Kryton, March 23, 2020, 09:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

Is it just a case of telling them to fucking have a minute? Dead here mate. Can't pay it.
Or are we just going to fucking plod on like the subservient capitalists we are?

Or will it all be alright?

ollyboro

I assume literally millions of people will be attempting to sign on, access sick pay etc in the morning.

imitationleather

I got an email from BT where they said they were "willing to work with me during the crisis".

I guess that translates as "We don't give a fuck as long as we get out £££".

Kryton

Quote from: ollyboro on March 23, 2020, 09:58:08 PM
I assume literally millions of people will be attempting to sign on, access sick pay etc in the morning.

Aaah thankfully Universal Credit is a trusted system and there's been no life-threatening situations in the past and I dare say those masterminds of said system have our best interests at heart.
And I assume they'll be able to deal with the sudden weight of demand.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on March 23, 2020, 09:58:58 PM
I got an email from BT where they said they were "willing to work with me during the crisis".

"that's the only work I'll be doing for the foreseeable, pal"

Uncle TechTip

Utilities will be rubbing their hands if everyone is suddenly using energy on variable crap tariff at home and not industry office flat fee. They need to be capping bills for the next x months. BT did say they would lift data caps and cap call charges at a fiver for whole month, but yeah i pay through the nose anyway fat chance of switching to Vodafone now you daft cunt.

Buelligan

I've decided not to pay the water (a lot, water is a fuck of a lot here) until I know where I am with money (fucked) because they have to send a man out to cut you off and we're in lockdown.  I am going to pay ISP if I possibly can because I need that to survive and they cut you off when you go three days over.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Buelligan on March 23, 2020, 10:51:05 PM
I've decided not to pay the water (a lot, water is a fuck of a lot here) until I know where I am with money (fucked) because they have to send a man out to cut you off and we're in lockdown.  I am going to pay ISP if I possibly can because I need that to survive and they cut you off when you go three days over.

Making sure the biggest cunts get paid and the people who treat you reasonably have to take you to court to get what you owe them is always the best policy. Kind of vindicates the behaviour of the biggest arseholes in society. Which is nice.

Thomas

Our landlord is an offshore shell company, the named director of which also 'directs' 400 other mysterious companies. I presume the real beneficial owner is a fat Russian oligarch who has succumbed already. Not paying for his funeral.

Dewt

Quote from: Buelligan on March 23, 2020, 10:51:05 PM
Can you get phone connectivity where you are for data? Maybe we could get a data SIM card and a phone that allows sharing the data via WIFI to you.

Captain Crunch

massive bereavement

Am I too old to disappear into the woods and to be taken care of and brought up by wild dogs?

Icehaven

Quote from: massive bereavement on March 23, 2020, 11:27:30 PM
Am I too old to disappear into the woods and to be taken care of and brought up by wild dogs?

A friend of Mr. Haven's is seriously on about doing this (disappearing into woods, not the dogs bit though). He's not the most stable person at the best of times so we're trying to discourage him, but there's tiny selfish bit of me that wants him to do it as he said we could look after his cats if he does.

Buelligan

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 23, 2020, 10:56:39 PM
Making sure the biggest cunts get paid and the people who treat you reasonably have to take you to court to get what you owe them is always the best policy. Kind of vindicates the behaviour of the biggest arseholes in society. Which is nice.

I don't think it's really about that Paul.  It's about not having any money, being obliged by law not to work or leave my home and not having a big pot of money to pay all the great big companies that want money, so prioritising them in order of how much they can fuck me over right now if I can't pay.  It's not like I'm never going to pay them, I'm going to pay them when I can work to get money to pay them.  I've never been in debt before and believe me, I don't want to start, I simply have no choice because I live hand to mouth and cannot work.  And, none of them treat people like me reasonably, that's why people like them are billionaires and people like me can't pay them, even thought we're happy to work, but still get to thank them for letting us clean their toilets. 

Quote from: Dewt on March 23, 2020, 11:01:45 PM
Can you get phone connectivity where you are for data? Maybe we could get a data SIM card and a phone that allows sharing the data via WIFI to you.

That's a kind and lovely thought, I have no mobile because (they're expensive but also because) there's no signal here.  Thank you though!

Personally, I don't think there's an upper age limit on that.  Must admit, I'm pretty tempted myself, you know, if it starts being impossible to get food supplies.  To have water or internet or leccy because people can't work - I'm already out of heating wood and can't go out to look for any.  I'm thinking though, there must be an awful lot of people in the same fix, I wonder if there are enough dogs.  Governments should think about that really before the rush.

Edited for speeling.

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on March 24, 2020, 05:56:53 AM
I don't think it's really about that Paul.

he's trolling, there's nothing particularly reasonable about water companies.

Ray Travez

I've read about people being raised by wolves, but I've never heard of anyone being supported through a comfortable early retirement plan by wolves. But then maybe you don't get to hear about it due to them just naturally dying at the end of it.

Buelligan

Also they want to keep it all for themselves.  Why share something like that and find yourself competing for a place?

At the best of times it's possible to negotiate bills and debt repayment, so it shouldn't be a problem to do this during the outbreak. Check your usual places like Citizens Advice Bureau and Step Change.