Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:47:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Scribd Suggestions

Started by pigamus, March 24, 2020, 12:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

As mentioned in the free stuff thread (thanks cliggg), Scribd is now free for 30 days without needing to give them your credit card number.

https://www.scribd.com/readfree?campaign=SkimbitLtd&ad_group=33330X911647Xd71be3655d12ce9a1a78c57a60702683&keyword=660149026&source=hp_affiliate&medium=affiliate

However it's not exactly overflowing with bestsellers, so I thought it might be useful to post anything you come across that might be half decent.

Two I came across:

Beatles 66, The Revolutionary Year by Steve Turner

Einstein by Walter Isaacson

pigamus

Joan Didion, Slouching towards Bethlehem

Chronicles, Bob Dylan

Captain Crunch

They seem to have a lot of George Saunders stuff which is well worth a read.  See the thread here, it can be a bit odd but you only need to read a couple of his short stories to get a flavour.

Is there a limit?  If so don't waste time with anything in the public domain, use Project Guttenburg or if you find that a bit overwhelming there's Feedbooks and LibriVox for audiobooks. 

Do you know the format of these downloads please, will it work on Kindle? 

pigamus

I think you have to download their Android app or read it online.

olliebean

Bugger that then, my eyes are too shit to read long things from that sort of screen. Need real books or an e-ink reader.

Captain Crunch

I feel the same, I'm struggling with reading on the screen.

I really enjoyed this; the ending is a bit naff but it's very funny and the illustrations are cute.  It's probably the best sort of thing to read on a tablet:

As it's an American site I've lined up a lot of the newer Beat books, I've also scabbed off some pdf copies of mid-century stories like The Glass Bees for later.  I doubt I'd go for a subscription. 

Retinend

Use their "documents" section, which contains downloadable, not app-only, documents (chiefly .pdfs) and is very reliable for less recently published works.

That said, the recently published classic "Kingpin" by Nick Bilton is available under the "documents" section. It's the story of The Silk Road's Ross Ulbricht which defies belief at every turn, and along the way reveals the tensions within the American liberatarian political philosophy underpinning the illegal endeavour, and the concomitant complications of a community founded on anonymity. If you want to understand the world we live in you must read this book.

Captain Crunch

Bah, gah and grumble.  Just had a little stack of saved books moved into a pen marked "not available until 22/06" the day the payments should kick in.  It also looks like one of the saved books has gone from the whole site?  Can't really complain too much because I've been caning it on the downloads, even got Dave Brockie's unfinished bio which I'd forgotten all about.