Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 07:06:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Washing machine delivery?

Started by Cerys, March 24, 2020, 03:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Place your bets!

Washing machine
2 (20%)
No washing machine
3 (30%)
Gazza, with beer and chicken
5 (50%)
Whitegoodswhines.com
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Cerys

Our washing machine is among the ones recalled by Whirlpool, so we're due for a new one to be delivered.  This was supposed to happen last Friday.  No delivery happened.  Today I was told that it will be delivered next Friday.

Will we get our washing machine?

chveik

Cerys

If we had a moat we could at least chuck things in it to soak.

Jockice

Is it from AO? I got my latest washing machine from there and the bloke claimed he couldn't set it up because the connections weren't right. So I had to leave it out in the back yard and get someone else in, who told me there was no reason at all why the AO chap couldn't have got it set up and working within seconds like he did. AO still tried to charge me a connection cost though, thereby ensuring that I'll never use them again

Arse Oles.

Cerys

The texts I've had are from 'Team Knowhow'.  I suppose we'll eventually find out if they live up to their name.

Jockice

Quote from: Cerys on March 24, 2020, 11:49:32 AM
The texts I've had are from 'Team Knowhow'.  I suppose we'll eventually find out if they live up to their name.

I know two people who worked for that lot. I know how I know them as well.

Pijlstaart

You don't even need a washing machine, just put everything in a water bucket and keep smooshing it with a log, the exact same effect but cheaper. Myself, I haven't washed my clothes since november and I feel fine. I've gone years without washing my clothes before, and indeed my current jeans of Christmas '18, worn every day since, have never been washed. I think a lot of problems can be traced back to the Argos catalogue, we were trained to covet and consume, we'd all lay down in the living room and vigorously thumb the pages and now we think we need all this to function. We had a small bathroom and I remember the oppressive effect of the clothes horse fully splayed, it encroached upon us, the same with the washing line, we had one of the rotary washing lines and we'd get slapped in the face with wet clothes whenever we'd run underneath it. The apparatus of continual clothes washing acted to normalise orwellian modes of living which have no business in a sane society.

This moment is pivotal, as the dedicated in-store online collections counter closes, to re-evaluate our way of life and seek alternatives that bring us closer to the grubby bosom of mother nature.

Jockice

Quote from: Pijlstaart on March 24, 2020, 12:32:02 PM
my current jeans of Christmas '18, worn every day since, have never been washed.

Are you my dead father by any chance. He genuinely seemed to believe that you never had to wash jeans. I took my washing round to my folks' place when mum was away for a few days once and he had a real go at me about it. I finally got him to put them in the machine in by explaining my dribbling problem necessitated it.

(By the way, I was in my early 30s at the time and had a washing machine in my flat, which my mum bought me when I moved in there. But she still wanted to do mine. She'd probably also have made me sandwiches for work every day if I'd given her the chance too. At around the same time I had a girlfriend (yes THAT girlfriend) who was a staunch feminist (she was doing a PhD in the subject. Which she never got) and was absolutely appalled, calling me a mummy's boy and the like.

Sorry Eleanor but I think I might just know my own family's dynamics a little bit better than you do. I can guarantee that bringing some washing round every couple of weeks isn't preventing my mum from becoming a nuclear physicist.

Sebastian Cobb

One of my mates, late 30's, followed through and thought nothing of bunging his shitted-up gruds in with his laundry and taking it to his mum's despite having a fully functioning machine at home. Shameless.

Jockice

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 24, 2020, 08:04:41 PM
One of my mates, late 30's, followed through and thought nothing of bunging his shitted-up gruds in with his laundry and taking it to his mum's despite having a fully functioning machine at home. Shameless.

Even I wouldn't do that. But I don't think it's as uncommon as my ex seemed to think. A colleague at work at the time who was a decade older than me still took his washing back home at the weekend too.

Flatulent Fox

They'll be joyriding your washing machine with frivolous loads on all the exotic wash cycles.

Cerys

I wouldn't mind that too much.  Better than it being abandoned in a warehouse while they deliver other, more expensive washing machines to the 1%.

Paul Calf

The 1% don't have washing machines. Why fork out for a potential maintenance nightmare when you can just hire a meat robot to do it with a washboard and mangle? They even pay for their own repair, fuel and maintenance and the best thing is, when they break down completely you just tell them to fuck off and get another.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Paul Calf on March 26, 2020, 11:08:24 AM
The 1% don't have washing machines. Why fork out for a potential maintenance nightmare when you can just hire a meat robot to do it with a washboard and mangle? And the best thing is, when they break down you just tell them to fuck off and get another.

Service washes are pretty great. Just getting everything back all washed an ironed and neatly folded. It's like getting your laundry done by your mum but you're paying her £12 not to iron creases into the front of your jeans.

Brian Freeze

Have you considered posting various items of washing to CaB members and patiently waiting for it to be returned all washed an ironed and neatly folded? There's probably a flaw in the plan somewhere but I cant spot it.

Dex Sawash

Our new washer came today. I miss the old one already

Rizla

Just couldnt imagine ever caring about shit like getting a kitchen or a house or decorating or getting a washing machine delivered or shit like that.

Its all such meaningless bollocks.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Team Knowhow is a misnomer.

Know is pronounced like the ow in Cow and How is pronounced like the ow in Know.

And it is named after founder Leonard Nowhoe.

Cerys

Quote from: Rizla on March 27, 2020, 01:10:11 AM
Just couldnt imagine ever caring about ... getting a washing machine delivered or shit like that.

Its all such meaningless bollocks.

We don't have a working washing machine at the moment, going to the launderette is a horrific prospect in the current situation, and we don't have access to a washing line.  We've got a backlog of unwashed clothes, towels and bedding.  Washing clothes by hand is a real pain in the arse when you're disabled, hence the irritation.

And we aren't getting it delivered tomorrow.  Indesit are now responsible for delivery, so we have to either ring them or wait for them to ring us.  If we'd been told that it wouldn't be possible I wouldn't mind so much - it's the repeated promises of delivery that piss me off.

chveik

Cerys

Cerys

Apparently it will be arriving tomorrow, but I'm not going to be uninstalling the broken one until I get a text from them, just in case.  They might be too grief-stricken about Boris to leave their duvets.

thenoise

Did you receive one of those cards from local do-gooders asking if you want help with your shopping or whatever in isolation? Ring the number and ask them to wash your dirty smalls (and bits). There's a whole country full of people bored out of their minds right now who would like nothing better than to wash your dirty clothes. Probably.

Best of luck x

Cerys

No, no card for me.  That's what I get for coming across as competent and independent.  Fucksakes.  I could have had this sorted weeks ago if only I'd cried into the phone at some poor call centre employee in Ormskirk.

Cerys

We have washing machine.  And there was much rejoicing.

Cerys

bgmnts

What's wrong with washing by hand then?

Queen of Sheba over here with her 'washing machine'

Sebastian Cobb

I got some trivets for my instant pot yesterday. That's the biggest 'kitchen utility' purchase I've gotten recently.

touchingcloth

I got a new washing machine delivered recently. I remember it was that Wednesday when it rained and it rained; they traipsed mud all over the house, It took hours and hours to scrub it out from all over the hall carpet. I took my mop and bucket and I cleaned and I cleaned the kitchen floor until it sparkled, then I took my laundry basket and put the linen all in it and everything I could fit in it, all our dirty clothes that hadn't gone into the wash, all the shirts and jeans and things and put them in the new washing machine.

Slooshy sloshy slooshy sloshy, get that dirty shirty clean. Slooshy sloshy slooshy sloshy, make those cuffs and collars gleam. Everything clean and shiny.