Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:49:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness

Started by C_Larence, March 24, 2020, 07:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neveragain

The aftershow did a good job of pissing (quite rightfully) on any glamourising of yer man.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on April 12, 2020, 01:35:59 PM
How dare you. Chevy's a dick, but definitely funny. But yes why is Joel McHale involved in this. David Spade has actually been doing pretty good interviews with the Tiger King bunch on YouTube.

Eh, I'd say he used to be for sure, but hasn't been for a long time now.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 12, 2020, 06:57:08 PM
Eh, I'd say he used to be for sure, but hasn't been for a long time now.

He was great in Community, my favourite character.

Kirkham strikes me as a slimeball. Talking about journalistic integrity is all well and good, but he wasn't at the zoo as a journalist. He was there to make a reality show. He saw the dollar signs and was likely egging an already batshit crazy Joe on.

kngen

Quote from: confettiinmyhair on April 13, 2020, 08:16:12 AM
Kirkham strikes me as a slimeball. Talking about journalistic integrity is all well and good, but he wasn't at the zoo as a journalist. He was there to make a reality show. He saw the dollar signs and was likely egging an already batshit crazy Joe on.

Yeah, there was a lengthy period between his genuine journalistic career and his role as Joe Exotic's Leni Riefenstahl mostly spent taking crack and then - no shit - appearing in a documentary about it, called TV Junkie.

Without descending too far into stereotypes, I don't think it's too fanciful to suggest that 10 years-plus as a crack addict teaches you some skills in feigning innocence while being in near proximity to terrible and illegal things (the fallout of which may benefit you at some point).

SteveDave

Quote from: kngen on April 14, 2020, 06:18:11 PM
Yeah, there was a lengthy period between his genuine journalistic career and his role as Joe Exotic's Leni Riefenstahl mostly spent taking crack and then - no shit - appearing in a documentary about it, called TV Junkie.

Without descending too far into stereotypes, I don't think it's too fanciful to suggest that 10 years-plus as a crack addict teaches you some skills in feigning innocence while being in near proximity to terrible and illegal things (the fallout of which may benefit you at some point).

I knew I recognised him from somewhere! I saw that film on BBC2 one night years ago and was open mouthed at it.

magval

Your man Joel McHale is fucking unbearable.

paruses

Agreed. And clinging Ant (And Dec)-like onto his hairline. He gained a few points back by looking really upset at the horse story - as was I.

Small Man Big Horse

I watched the aftershow and eh, I guess it has the odd interesting moment but there's a lot of filler (all of the "Who do you want to play you in the movie?" nonsense was especially pointless shit), and without Joe or Carol it felt distinctly lacking.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 14, 2020, 09:55:24 PM
I watched the aftershow and eh, I guess it has the odd interesting moment but there's a lot of filler (all of the "Who do you want to play you in the movie?" nonsense was especially pointless shit), and without Joe or Carol it felt distinctly lacking.

I'm pretty sure all of Joel McHale's responses were re-recorded.  It just has that utterly stilted feel (as opposed to David Spade's interviews).  The timing's all off.

Actual conversations and spontaneity must be a big no-no in American advert TV.

PlanktonSideburns

Fuck they dragged this out at the end didn't they!

Not enough footage of carole, just was it in slowmo Fuck it

Hat FM

Quote from: paruses on April 14, 2020, 09:39:21 PM
Agreed. And clinging Ant (And Dec)-like onto his hairline.

definitely had a hair transplant.

Dewt

Quote from: C_Larence on March 24, 2020, 07:55:18 AM
My brain may have been broken by US politics, but I feel like Carole Baskin is a pretty solid Hillary Clinton analogy.
This is exactly what I got from her

Dewt

Jeff Lowe is the one I really hate though

Chinless fucking slimy abomination. A monument to inelegance.

bgmnts

They're all just animal abusing scumbags. The reaction to this show has reaffirmed how ghoulish people are sometimes.

It's like when that Ted Bundy piece of netflix poo plopped out and there was a community of women gushing at how charming and exciting he was.

Fuck off.

Dex Sawash

Did Jeff Lowe and wife have some sort of ipad image filter turned on in the aftershow episode?

touchingcloth

Very late to the party but I've only just watched this. Fascinating though Joe, Carol and the rest of the big cat community are, I think that somehow the biggest weirdo in the whole thing was Rick Kirkham - the be-hatted, perma-smoking and coffee drinking producer who lost his footage in the fire.

To start with you get the impression his role is as an audience surrogate to provide information about Joe and co, but he soon turns into a fucking loon talking about how he was going to make a million dollars off his destroyed footage and retire, and just generally cutting quite a tragic figure supping on his coffee in his Stetson.

Yeah, TV Junkie is worth a watch.

There's a sickening narcissistic vanity to the documenting of his own self destructive behaviour. He seems to be on 24/7, always giving a performance. There's a bit where he's proposing to his missus in front of their friends and family (or something like that, it's been a while since I saw it) where the spotlight should be on her and he somehow makes it all about him.

Really painful seeing him using his very young son as an emotional pinball flipper when arguing with his wife.

I remember writing a big post on some forum, now long gone, about my feelings right after watching it which I'd love to post but I think this quote on the rottentomatoes sums it up.

QuoteIn the final stretch, when TV Junkie brings on the triumph-over-adversity homilies, it not only rings false, but downright creepy.

I think for all it's flaws, that's what made Tiger King so compulsive, you could have made an interesting full length documentary about nearly everyone involved and not just the main players.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Kirkham seemed like a character from a David Lynch film.

Spiteface

Carole Baskin giving birthday shout-outs to Rolf Harris and Jimmy "Saveel"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3J8-bV0VWQ

Ranmoor

Kirkham is just a low level media type that didn't get a hit with Joe Exotic.

For every producer that finds Dog the Bounty Hunter and Orange County Choppers, there's a Kirkham who couldn't get the weirdo's to remain sane for the course of filming.

The Roofdog

Quote from: touchingcloth on July 06, 2020, 12:29:02 AM
To start with you get the impression his role is as an audience surrogate to provide information about Joe and co, but he soon turns into a fucking loon talking about how he was going to make a million dollars off his destroyed footage and retire, and just generally cutting quite a tragic figure supping on his coffee in his Stetson.

But hang on, if his footage hadn't been destroyed he could've made the original Tiger King and he wouldn't have been far wrong would he? Or did he already release a few series with Exotic that didn't go anywhere?

PlanktonSideburns

All these sad old hunter s thompson fanboys, hanging around flamboyant abusive bastards like alikies memorising the pattern of the lights on the fruit machine, waiting for them to pay out. Encouraging their death threats, laughing at their jokes, 'roughing it'. blood on their hands. tragic indeed

right now theres probably a hundred of these rotten little shits, holed up with some asbestos grade rapebeast, milking it for all its worth, waiting for the netflix lottery

Thomas

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 17, 2020, 10:39:01 AM
All these sad old hunter s thompson fanboys, hanging around flamboyant abusive bastards like alikies memorising the pattern of the lights on the fruit machine, waiting for them to pay out. Encouraging their death threats, laughing at their jokes, 'roughing it'. blood on their hands. tragic indeed

right now theres probably a hundred of these rotten little shits, holed up with some asbestos grade rapebeast, milking it for all its worth, waiting for the netflix lottery

Then Netflix can commission a six-part series about these men themselves.

mobias

Quote from: bgmnts on April 21, 2020, 01:47:08 PM
They're all just animal abusing scumbags. The reaction to this show has reaffirmed how ghoulish people are sometimes.

It's like when that Ted Bundy piece of netflix poo plopped out and there was a community of women gushing at how charming and exciting he was.

Fuck off.

This is pretty much my view of it. It does sit really uncomfortably with me that a lot of people have turned Joe into a kind of loveable anti hero. Hollywood is clearly falling over itself to make a movie about him and all these A list actors have been lining up to play him. He's a dreadful excuse for a human being. The only comfort you take from his years of animal cruelty is that he's now currently himself in a cage. Though I think it'll be highly likely Trump will pardon him because - you know, think of the popularity and ratings.

The whole Carol Baskin thing is a bit unsavoury too. She's guilty of murdering her husband in a trial by Netflix documentary. I mean, she may well be guilty but the fact she only took part in the documentary under a false pretence is, as Louis Theroux and others have pointed out, pretty shabby work by the guy that made the documentary.

This chart did make me laugh though.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bgmnts on April 21, 2020, 01:47:08 PM

Fuck off.

missed this post, made my point better than me

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: mobias on July 17, 2020, 02:35:39 PM

The whole Carol Baskin thing is a bit unsavoury too. She's guilty of murdering her husband in a trial by Netflix documentary. I mean, she may well be guilty but the fact she only took part in the documentary under a false pretence is, as Louis Theroux and others have pointed out, pretty shabby work by the guy that made the documentary.

yea on this

baskin did nothing wrong did she? i mean she might have murdered her husband (but he looked like a bit of a cunt so who cares)

but apart from that, what has she done?  been a bit of an annoying hippie whos not very good at pr?

she did ride that bycicle round in slow-motion, which is admmitedly a bit siniser, but apart from that?

mobias

A lot of people seem to wilfully miss the point about Carol Baskin too. They criticise her for keeping big cats in cages and saying she's just as bad as the others but the point is she's not breeding them so she's not making more poor big cats that will have to spend their lives in cages. I guess she could have them euthanised but perhaps thats into a different debate.

PlanktonSideburns

i feel like that point would have come across better if they hadnt spend whatever it was - 3years hanging around smoking spliffs with the ladz and had one akward interview with baskin and her partner for an entire 6 part, 10 hour docuentary. its almost as if the director was having loads of fun sat at the foot of joe exotic's bed, and hanging with baskin reminded of what a hypocryte he was being, worshiping this arch cunt

MojoJojo

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on July 17, 2020, 02:52:19 PM
yea on this

baskin did nothing wrong did she? i mean she might have murdered her husband (but he looked like a bit of a cunt so who cares)

There's an interesting ama here https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/hc0s3v/we_are_reporters_who_investigated_the/ from reporters who originally investigated the disappearance of Don Lewis. The documentary sort of mentioned the 17 year old trucker becoming a millionaire property investor by 40 years old thing without any comment, and didn't make any links to him flying to Cuba frequently in his private plane, and reportedly not registering the flights either. It seems very likely that he was involved with some dangerous people.

(Also Carol has good reason to keep shut about that, as the DEA could take all her money, and potentially she could be arrested depending on what she knew).

Quote from: mobias on July 17, 2020, 03:56:58 PM
A lot of people seem to wilfully miss the point about Carol Baskin too. They criticise her for keeping big cats in cages and saying she's just as bad as the others but the point is she's not breeding them so she's not making more poor big cats that will have to spend their lives in cages. I guess she could have them euthanised but perhaps thats into a different debate.

The director has apparently said the point of the documentary is that people should give money to conservation, and that sanctuaries should just put the animals down so they don't have to live in captivity and put the money towards conservation. So yeah, as someone who owns what most people would consider an ethical sanctuary, the director had a definite interest in painting her in a bad light.