Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 02:54:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tiger King: Murder, Mayhem and Madness

Started by C_Larence, March 24, 2020, 07:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chveik

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 17, 2020, 04:27:54 PM
The director has apparently said the point of the documentary is that people should give money to conservation, and that sanctuaries should just put the animals down so they don't have to live in captivity and put the money towards conservation. So yeah, as someone who owns what most people would consider an ethical sanctuary, the director had a definite interest in painting her in a bad light.

they should have told it directly but they don't give a fuck about the ethics of documentary. you don't make dodgy accusations like that, the woman had already received enough death threats.

mobias

Quote from: MojoJojo on July 17, 2020, 04:27:54 PM

The director has apparently said the point of the documentary is that people should give money to conservation, and that sanctuaries should just put the animals down so they don't have to live in captivity and put the money towards conservation. So yeah, as someone who owns what most people would consider an ethical sanctuary, the director had a definite interest in painting her in a bad light.

The problem is as far as a documentary about the ethics of keeping big cats in captivity goes its utterly terrible. Big cat conservation is just a minor back drop for it being what it is - an utterly sensationalist Netflix documentary about all these characters.

I thought it was interesting watching that last follow up episode they shoved out after the show had been released and become a hit. Most of the people interviewed came across better in real life than they did in the documentary. Says a lot really at just how much what you're seeing is manipulated.

kngen

Quote from: mobias on July 17, 2020, 06:18:16 PM
an utterly sensationalist Netflix documentary about all these characters.

When you have a story - with accompanying footage (hundreds of hours of it) - as crazy as this one, you could probably try and relay it as soberly and objectively as possible, and it would still bounce around and scream 'Look at me! LOOK AT ME!!! I'm fucking mental!' despite your attempts to muffle it with a cupped hand over its mouth.

I've no doubt there was some shenanigans going on in the editing suite to suit their narrative (twas ever thus), but it's hardly Portrait of an Ass Grabber.