Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What good is going to come from this?

Started by TheMonk, March 24, 2020, 09:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dewt

Maybe "r brave boys" will make way for thanking nurses and other health care workers for their service, which is the correct order of things.

oy vey

Bob Geldof may improve his personal hygiene.

Rev+

It's not necessarily an absolute good, but as mentioned, the idea that a huge amount of jobs can be done from home will change how we work in the future.  Nothing to do with reducing emissions caused by commuting, and nothing to do with making the lives of workers easier, never anything for a positive reason, but eventually businesses were going to wonder why they were buying or renting huge buildings when most of their staff could bugger off home and dial in.  This is a huge proof of concept kind of dealie for something that was coming down the pipe eventually anyway.

peanutbutter

Quote from: Rev+ on March 25, 2020, 11:15:50 PM
but eventually businesses were going to wonder why they were buying or renting huge buildings when most of their staff could bugger off home and dial in.
or they could just hire new cheaper staff elsewhere too and be rid of the lot.

Don't think a full switch will happen any time soon, although smaller offices and most workers only having to come in on particular days seems pretty possible.

pancreas

Be careful what you wish for. People need physical interaction if they don't want to go mad.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Dewt on March 25, 2020, 10:23:59 PM
Maybe "r brave boys" will make way for thanking nurses and other health care workers for their service, which is the correct order of things.
bit gay that though

wooders1978

I think the stigma of wearing odd socks will be removed from society, it will not be missed

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Rev+ on March 25, 2020, 11:15:50 PM
It's not necessarily an absolute good, but as mentioned, the idea that a huge amount of jobs can be done from home will change how we work in the future.  Nothing to do with reducing emissions caused by commuting, and nothing to do with making the lives of workers easier, never anything for a positive reason, but eventually businesses were going to wonder why they were buying or renting huge buildings when most of their staff could bugger off home and dial in.  This is a huge proof of concept kind of dealie for something that was coming down the pipe eventually anyway.

As my anxiety dream demonstrated last night, this will not happen on a large scale as employers simply don't trust people. This is a bizarre dynamic where the less money they try and pay people the more they insist on over-managing them, almost as though a guilty conscience is being expressed on a macro level. Any work with fixed pay that is productivity based will continue being corralled and babyfied so that team leaders can report to operations managers can report to senior ops can report to directors.

I also doubt telephone sales will go in that direction as team based competition is one of the motivation tools deployed, and that makes more sense when you feel like you are on a team rather than a bog dwelling loner signing in your username in sharted trackies.

... And also the 'we've got this office though'. A notion of identity and macho status that accompanies having a big fuck off office.

I do hope there will be fewer business flights for half an hour meetings though.

Urinal Cake

I think business and government is too keen to see things to go back to 'normal' asap that there won't be many positives. I think working from home will become more accepted for the PMC, small business owners and people who have mobility issues. But providing services online only will become more normalised because it saves money for retailers etc.

I think UBI will only become a thing if there's a large unemployment rate that lasts atleast 3 years and becomes an election issue.

Maybe governments will adopt domestic manufacturing of ppe, drugs, emergency goods etc but it'll be some public-private partnership thing that that enriches corporations than create an industry.

Bence Fekete

Grim viewing on Newsnight last.

The inevitable public inquiry will sensationally discover that having a blonde tv twat with all the biological instincts of a heaving, cokehead alky shirt out used car two wives wheezing shitbag lying twofaced backstabbing racist hack making critical life and death decisions for millions on a whim in-between feeding time might not have been the best strategy to enter boomer heaven.

But hey. In heaven -> everything is fine. 

Buelligan

I don't know if it's caused by the pandemic, I suspect not (I am not an end-timer) but I woke this morning to find the warm and sunny, flower-filled, valley of yesterday, completely white.  The dove grey sky pouring with huge flakes the size of Gabriel's feathers.  And silent.  Very beautiful.

Cold though.  Fuck.

El Unicornio, mang

Wet markets being ended once and for all. Kind of surprised this kind of thing hasn't happened more regularly when you look at some of those places

Quote from: Buelligan on March 26, 2020, 08:35:20 AM
I don't know if it's caused by the pandemic, I suspect not (I am not an end-timer) but I woke this morning to find the warm and sunny, flower-filled, valley of yesterday, completely white.  The dove grey sky pouring with huge flakes the size of Gabriel's feathers.  And silent.  Very beautiful.

Cold though.  Fuck.

Sounds like snow to me, but I'm not a doctor.

Keebleman

The decrease in pollution during the lockdown is obviously welcome, but I very much doubt it will lead to permanent change in behaviour.  Paul Monks, a professor in air pollution, says, "What I think will come out of this is a realisation - because we are forced to - that there is considerable potential to change working practices and lifestyles. This challenges us in the future to think, do we really need to drive our car there or burn fuel for that?"

I have no doubt that Prof Monks is a learned chap, but he's deluding himself if he thinks that people are viewing this situation as a possible model for the future.  We can't wait to get back to normal!  Suggestions that we live our lives more abstemiously will be greeted with, "What, like during Covid-19?  No thanks!"

Mr_Simnock

Been absolutely brilliant to look out into the nice blue sky today to see fuck all planes, well there was the one late in the evening, but NO FUCKING CONTRAILS

Emma Raducanu

Went for a run and didn't see a car for 1 hour. It was luxury.

Buelligan

Quote from: Keebleman on March 26, 2020, 08:20:25 PM
The decrease in pollution during the lockdown is obviously welcome, but I very much doubt it will lead to permanent change in behaviour.  Paul Monks, a professor in air pollution, says, "What I think will come out of this is a realisation - because we are forced to - that there is considerable potential to change working practices and lifestyles. This challenges us in the future to think, do we really need to drive our car there or burn fuel for that?"

I have no doubt that Prof Monks is a learned chap, but he's deluding himself if he thinks that people are viewing this situation as a possible model for the future.  We can't wait to get back to normal!  Suggestions that we live our lives more abstemiously will be greeted with, "What, like during Covid-19?  No thanks!"

I think if many people do react like that, I think you're right, they probably will, the planet will continue to remind them that what they're doing is unsustainable until they get the message or die, whichever is soonest.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I certainly don't expect social distancing will have done any favours for the concept of public transport. Then again, people hated sitting next to each other before it could kill them, so maybe if won't make a difference.

Dewt

Quote from: Dewt on March 25, 2020, 10:23:59 PM
I guess I asked for it

Shit Good Nose

There been a MASSIVE drop in nonce threads on here, which makes a nice change.  Like the drop in pollution, though, I can't see it lasting once things go back to normal.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 27, 2020, 11:20:55 AM
There been a MASSIVE drop in nonce threads on here

Probably reflecting a massive drop in nonces.  Think of all those sex-tourists who got it from Southeast Asia.

olliebean

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-nhs-debt-matt-hancock-press-conference-briefing-a9443926.html

QuoteGovernment to write off £13.4bn in historic NHS debt amid coronavirus crisis
QuoteUnder the new rules set out in a letter to all NHS trusts, hospitals needing extra cash will be given equity, rather than borrowing from the government and repaying a loan.

My first thought on reading this was, the NHS, which is supposed to be funded by the government, somehow owes £13.4bn to the government? How did this happen? Presumably the government could have written it off at any time, or better, given it as grants rather than loans in the first place. But it seems that's what they're going to do now, so that's a good thing that's come from this.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on March 27, 2020, 11:20:55 AM
There been a MASSIVE drop in nonce threads on here, which makes a nice change.  Like the drop in pollution, though, I can't see it lasting once things go back to normal.
criminal trials have been suspended

thenoise

Doubt my PJs will recover. The smell in the underarm area is deep set in now, surrounding me with a miasma of filth wherever I go, even with my arms clamped straight down.

Ferris

I'm going to quit my job, the Ferris family is leaving our tiny one bed apartment and moving 1,000 miles east to buy somewhere. I'm going to finish my MA and try to get some nice work doing literally anything else.

Been a vague long term plan for years, but this has given us the impetus to actually do it. First day back in the office, I'm telling them to stuff it. Really excited.

I'm also interested to see what life is like when you aren't a stressed-out husk.

bgmnts

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on April 07, 2020, 06:22:22 PM
I'm also interested to see what life is like when you aren't a stressed-out husk.

Bored, inadequate, depressed husk.

Dex Sawash