Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:52:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

TV/Film already looks uncanny?

Started by Puce Moment, March 24, 2020, 10:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puce Moment

This did not really hit me until last night when I was watching the latest episodes of Masterchef, Homeland and This Country. Everyone walking around in the busy streets, touching each other, touching their faces, buying a bag of crisps, touching food others are going to eat...all that palaver. Perhaps it's because this is newly produced media rather than old episodes of something, or a period drama.

I would like to know if this is just me and the edibles.

Thomas

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 24, 2020, 10:17:53 AM
Perhaps it's because this is newly produced media rather than old episodes of something, or a period drama.

No, it was the same for me when I watched a 1930s Hitchcocker the other morning. It's amazing how quickly we adopt new frames of mind. Propagandists will be paying close attention.

Puce Moment

Thanks Thomas - you are right, and really we are a massive, global research project for Psychologists to dine out on for decades to come. I find it unsettling how the simulacra has started to look uncanny* - a bit like characters in a zombie film looking through media from the old times. During Homeland I just couldn't stop thinking about the fact that they were a massive contamination risk and then I had to recalibrate my mind.

*Pseuds corner

Buelligan

Yes, I saw something where people were coughing and it made my brain flinch.  Real momentary horror at how someone could behave like that and not worry about other people.  Also cops in cars having a stakeout, whole hours and hours huffing each other's air.  Dear god.

Norton Canes

Quiz shows and panel shows where the participants sit together... watched Only Connect, Mastermind and University Challenge last night and thought, they're going to need some longer tables.

Except Mastermind obviously, but the contestants still sit together while waiting to go to the big chair

Egyptian Feast

I was disturbed by the lack of social distancing on the episode of Top Of The Pops 1989 I watched last night. Particularly those arse-slapping Austrian pricks Edelweiss.

Ambient Sheep

Yup, I was watching an old Van der Valk last night and kept getting this too.  Was actually surprised at my own reaction.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's been the adverts for me. I suppose because they're more directly trying to tap into people's aspirations and encouraging folk to go out. They all seem to be wildy unsuited to the situation.

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 24, 2020, 10:35:21 AM
During Homeland I just couldn't stop thinking about the fact that they were a massive contamination risk and then I had to recalibrate my mind.
But if they don't go into work, terrorists might kill some people.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Was watching Oceans Twelve (shut up) the other night and had the same feeling just from this shot of them wandering round a street in Amsterdam that wasn't even that busy. Halcyon days.

Hand Solo

It's all a reprehensible conspiracy to turn us all into Howie Mendel.

Danger Man

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 24, 2020, 01:50:58 PM
Yup, I was watching an old Van der Valk last night

fucking hell

QuoteWas watching Oceans Twelve the other night

FUCKING HELL

Bazooka

I was watching Gino's Italian Express, and people were blatantly ignoring the lockdown,even kissing on the cheeks.  Plenty of pasta on the shelves, must be keeping it for themselves, fair enough as they do produce it all.

Thomas

Yeah, we were watching Bake Off series 4 last night and I was shocked by the way everyone in my house was mean about Ruby everyone was hugging and kissing and touching food.

alan nagsworth

Watched a show last night there was a scene featuring some grass I was like what the fucks that

Puce Moment

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 10:16:20 AMWatched a show last night there was a scene featuring some grass I was like what the fucks that

Sativa dominant hybrid!!!!!

#ledge

Gurke and Hare

All the compliance units that would generally cancel scheduled episodes of stuff are obviously on lockdown. Over the last couple of weeks I've seen:

- The episode of OFAH where they hole up in a nuclear shelter.
- An episode of The Good Life where they have to self-isolate because of fleas.
- An episode of The Bill where a copper had to wear a facemask to arrest someone because they might have been infected.

jobotic

Armstrong made a gag about a woman having a disease that meant she needed to quarantine on Pointless last night.

Wasn't much of a gag, she said she had the travel bug or something.

This is true.

alan nagsworth

saw a photo of a human mouth

another fuckin world now

purlieu

An episode of Star Trek: TNG last night involved someone passing a box to someone else, and my immediate thought was "neither of them washed their hands!"

Ian Benson

I'm watching all of the James Bond films, and he's always touching things and people, sometimes needlessly. He picks up Q's baguette at one point like he's never seen one before. What is he, an idiot? He also travels all around the world pretty much constantly AND shags about. Will the new James Bond film look weird when it comes out? Probably, yes. They could CG a mask and gloves onto him I suppose, but what's the point of even hiring Daniel Craig if you can barely see his face and hands?

Gurke and Hare

They've still not updated the EPG on Virgin to reflect Pointless being on BBC2 now.