Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 03:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Remarkable romantic liaisons

Started by Custard, March 24, 2020, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Custard

Just a bit of fun really, in these unable to wipe our bums times

Apparently Debbie Harry really fancied Harry Dean Stanton, and even said so on her 1989 solo single I Want That Man. Stanton got in touch, and apparently they spent some "quality time" together

Now I really like Stanton, and I'm sure he was attractive to many women, but I just can't imagine him and Debbie Harry together. Very pleased for him, mind

Can you name any other remarkable/unbelievable romantic liasions from history?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Harry Dean Stanton was quite attractive in a "more handsome version of Eric Sykes" sort of way, before he aged into loking like Dot Cotton from that "Eastenders" programme they used to make. Quite a cool image,too. Debbie Harry probably saw him in "Repo Man" and thought "Cor,I'll have some of that!" to herself (well, She's American,so she probably thought "Gee!" instead of " Cor!").

The Culture Bunker

Given that in Paris: Texas, Nastassja Kinski was married to his character, I suppose having Debbie Harry fancy him is just a kind of real life matching fiction.

'I Want That Man' was written by the Thompson Twins, mind and, perhaps fitting in with the theme of the thread, Alannah Currie (who presumably wrote the lyrics) is now married to Jimmy Cauty from the KLF.

magval

Cybil Shepherd and Jerry the King Lawler.

Cerys

Steve Coogan and Courtney Love.  Mostly because I can't help imagining him in the persona of Alan Partridge throughout.

Sebastian Cobb

Steve Coogan with a prostitute on a bed of money*

*all fivers.

Pingers

80s rapper Kurtis Blow should have married Steve Jobs, then he could have been Kurtis Blow-Jobs

The obvious one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttfXzrYIMwI

Just to think, with a slight tweak of the schedule, he might have ended up shagging Zig and/or Zag.

Paul Calf

Major - Currie.

John's cold, bony hands exploring Edwina's sensuous curves; first tender, tentative then with increasing force and fervour as he brings her off to a shattering orgasm, mouths locked together and writhing like animals.

You will never be allowed to forget that this happened.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 24, 2020, 12:32:39 PM
The obvious one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttfXzrYIMwI

Just to think, with a slight tweak of the schedule, he might have ended up shagging Zig and/or Zag.

How do you know he didn't? 

Her shtick didn't seem to have the same effect on Rik & Ade:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4nsZlQeazA

Schnapple

Richard Herring spending years joking about wanting to have sex with Julia Sawahla and then ending up in actual relationship with her.

Custard

That's a bit like Chris Evans constantly going on about how much he fancied Kim Wilde when he was younger, then actually getting with her in the mid 90's

Chris Evans could probably have his own thread. Billie Piper!

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Shameless Custard on March 24, 2020, 02:00:29 PM
That's a bit like Chris Evans constantly going on about how much he fancied Kim Wilde when he was younger, then actually getting with her in the mid 90's

Chris Evans could probably have his own thread. Billie Piper!
I'd add Bowie and Tina Turner, but the Duke was both very handsome and talented, so it doesn't seem as remarkable.

coinneach

Ross County right back Ricky Foster & Amy MacDonald

Ambient Sheep

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Victoria Coren and David Mitchell yet.

Nor Charlie Brooker and Konnie Huq.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: coinneach on March 24, 2020, 02:29:11 PM
Ross County right back Ricky Foster & Amy MacDonald
You reckon she's more Buckie Thistle level?

Dr Trouser

I could never get my head round Adrian Chiles and Catherine Tate.

pigamus

The dead one out of Stereophonics and whatsername

JarrowMonkey

Billy Joel and his 2nd, 3rd and 4th wife

Must be his chubby fingers

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Dr Trouser on March 24, 2020, 02:36:32 PM
I could never get my head round Adrian Chiles and Catherine Tate.

What, really?  I can't get my head around that either.  2011-2013, apparently.  Weird.

bgmnts

ollyboro

I remember a collective eyebrow being raised to Pretty Woman actress Julia Roberts marriage to singer Lyle Lovett. Although he did have the look of a man who used prostitutes.

Blinder Data

Amber Rudd and AA Gill

Liz Kendall and Greg Davies

Doomy Dwyer

I hate this kind of tabloidy gossip shite, but weren't naughty nineties Neighbours nympho Natalie Inbruglia and prominent Tory member Dr Liam Fox rumoured to have been enjoying steamy sex romps in their million pound sex pad? Yes they were, I just looked it up. And from the same piece of journalism I note with interest that smoky voiced chanteuse and icon of cool Marianne Faithfull and 147 hellraiser and problematic drunk Sir Alex Higgins were also 'stepping out' once upon a time. Fancy that! Imagine the fug of high tar fags and stale Spar whiskey in their front room.

It's a pity that they never recorded anything together because Alex had real 'chops' when it came to crooning. I can just imagine Marianne laying down some dissolute end of epoch backing vocals to 'One Four Seven (My Idea of Heaven)'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSyXK0iVXN0

Skip to 2.57 for the b-side 'Life's in the Pocket' for three minutes of pure transcendental deso. Ahhh. Bliss. 

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Lisa Jesusandmarychain and whichever fit lass chose to be with the daft cunt.

Julia Roberts and Lyle Lovett is the classic of this genre, though.

Fictionally, Larry Sanders and Mimi Rogers. Oh, and Kelly Monteith and Kelly Drake ( one for the teenagers).

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 24, 2020, 02:32:15 PM
Just about everyone I know says they fancy Coren but, for some reason, they find the thought of her and Mitchell going at it somehow offputting.

wosl

Quote from: Ambient Sheep on March 24, 2020, 02:32:15 PM

Nor Charlie Brooker and Konnie Huq.

Coren and Mitchell I've never had trouble getting my head around (the seething envy I feel for Mitchell notwithstanding).  The Brooker and Huq one has been harder to credit - the idea of Brooker settling down to married family life is hard to process full stop.  One that surprised me a bit when I read it: the great love of Stevie Nicks' life is/was Joe Walsh.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Schnapple on March 24, 2020, 01:14:34 PM
Richard Herring spending years joking about wanting to have sex with Julia Sawahla and then ending up in actual relationship with her.

Didn't he scrupiously engineer that though, through casting her in a show he was writing Time Gentlemen Please?

Obviously Charlie Brooker took notice.