Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:11:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Remarkable romantic liaisons

Started by Custard, March 24, 2020, 11:44:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janie Jones

I too didn't get that one, what's remarkable about the long-standing liaison between Toyah  and Fripp?

Also while I'm here querying stuff, I don't get the Ringo elephant comment at the top of the last page, what am I missing?

Om

I'm sure they're a match made in heaven, they just always struck me as an odd coupling, but now you're questioning it I'm not sure why!

wosl

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on March 27, 2020, 01:27:42 PM
I've heard it said that Robert Fripp is one of most gorgeous and sexy men ever to have been born.

What you say in your sleep doesn't count, Robert SMBH.

Blue Jam

Bants and Syoots, duh. Well, too weird for this country to handle, evidently.

Rupert Murdoch and Jerry Hall *shudder*

Liam Gallagher and Patsy Kensit was a weird one alright.

Weren't Chris Evans and Geri Halliwell also an item for a bit? There seemed to be a time when he could announce his latest celeb crush on TFI Friday and the next week they'd be in a relationship. I think Sharleen Spiteri was another one- Chris Evans' RFH for her was probably the entire reason for Texas' 90's revival.

Remember when Peter Stringfellow was dating "Courtney Love"? Apparently just a lookalike with "tattoos in all the right places" but he seemed happy enough.

Keebleman

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 27, 2020, 01:49:49 PM
I too didn't get that one, what's remarkable about the long-standing liaison between Toyah  and Fripp?

No, it's definitely a double-taker!  He was a cerebral progger whose fame, status and commercial prospects had been seriously undermined by punk, and she was a fame-hungry songstress who used punk as a springboard to launch herself to as many vantage points as possible.  I remember a joint interview with them in Q headlined 'Mr Chalk Loves Mrs Cheese' in which they both acknowledged the incongruity of it.

(Incidentally, and don't tell anyone, but Mrs Fripp is apparently a right ol' goer!  A friend once told me that a friend of hers went backstage after a gig and there was a queue of men outside her dressing room all awaiting 'an audience with...'.  This was years ago mind.)

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 27, 2020, 04:43:01 PMWeren't Chris Evans and Geri Halliwell also an item for a bit? There seemed to be a time when he could announce his latest celeb crush on TFI Friday and the next week they'd be in a relationship. I think Sharleen Spiteri was another one- Chris Evans' RFH for her was probably the entire reason for Texas' 90's revival.

Pretty much, although their output at the time was pretty decent pop fare. This is the week Say What You Want peaked at number 3, for instance, and it's one of few highlights in a dire top 20;

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19970119/7501/

Blue Jam

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 27, 2020, 05:06:35 PM
Pretty much, although their output at the time was pretty decent pop fare. This is the week Say What You Want peaked at number 3, for instance, and it's one of few highlights in a dire top 20;

https://www.officialcharts.com/charts/singles-chart/19970119/7501/

Pffffft, what are you talking about, White Town was one of the greatest one-hit wonders ever with Your Woman.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 27, 2020, 04:43:01 PM
Remember when Peter Stringfellow was dating "Courtney Love"? Apparently just a lookalike with "tattoos in all the right places" but he seemed happy enough.

Shame Kurt didn't try the same.

Dating Peter Stringfellow I mean..

Quote from: Blue Jam on March 27, 2020, 05:20:06 PM
Pffffft, what are you talking about, White Town was one of the greatest one-hit wonders ever with Your Woman.

No arguments there. That's one of the highlights. But No Mercy? Madonna's dirge? Fucking Reef? Kavana? KAVANA?

Brundle-Fly

This couple spring to mind. Some wankers actually believe that good looking people should only date other good looking people? Drives them mad.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-punching-above-weight-champion-7622161

DeadJefferson

Quote from: Janie Jones on March 27, 2020, 01:49:49 PM

Also while I'm here querying stuff, I don't get the Ringo elephant comment at the top of the last page, what am I missing?

https://youtu.be/64VGyoIyBgc

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 27, 2020, 05:43:21 PM
This couple spring to mind. Some wankers actually believe that good looking people should only date other good looking people? Drives them mad.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/newcastle-punching-above-weight-champion-7622161

I used to work with someone who believed exactly that. She also said that she found the thought of old people (by which she seemed to mean anyone ever the age of around 45) having sex 'disgusting.' Not entirely surprisingly she later became a reporter for one of the scummier tabloids. She was obviously a product of parents who told her she was the best-looking girl in the whole wide world and she didn't have to bother with anyone who wasn't that good-looking. I mean she was quite pretty, but not all that...

(I've just looked her up and saw that a few years ago she took a solo show up to the Edinburgh Fringe and the one review she received totally slams it. Can't say I feel sorry for her. She used to look at me like something she'd trodden in.)

bgmnts

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 27, 2020, 05:43:21 PM

To be fair they are just voicing what is probably a very very common belief.

Jockice

Quote from: bgmnts on March 28, 2020, 03:06:44 PM
To be fair they are just voicing what is probably a very very common belief.

Just saying what everyone thinks but daren't say out loud. Like the gorgeous Katie Hopkins no doubt.

(But there's no doubt that being (thought of as) good-looking does give you certain advantages in life, not least of all in confidence. The woman I referred to above was one of the most average bogstandard local paper reporters I've ever met in my life and if she'd been average or below-looking she probably wouldn't have been hired by the tabloids or (apparently - according to her Edinburgh show) propositioned by a famous actor.) There's no mention of her on the internet for the last five years or so, so maybe she's got married. Or just grown up.)

Glebe

Some tabloid had pictures of Geri Halliwell with an ordinary-looking bloke some years ago and made a big deal out of it. Cunts.

Brundle-Fly

There was a hint of 'Surely not' attitude in the press with Pierce Brosnan's wife and if I recall, Melinda Messenger's former husband. So cunty.

Jockice

Quote from: Glebe on March 28, 2020, 04:15:03 PM
Some tabloid had pictures of Geri Halliwell with an ordinary-looking bloke some years ago and made a big deal out of it. Cunts.

Of course there's 'ordinary-looking' and then there's being me...

Among the things that have happened during my admittedly patchy romantic life are blokes coming up and standing between me and the woman I've been with with their back to me so that they could talk to them and I couldn't (this has happened more than once), one loudly proclaiming: "What's he doing with something like that?'; and then trying to chat the women up (hint: most females don't really appreciate being referred to as 'something') and most recently, a woman asking if my girlfriend was my carer  and when being told: "No, he's my partner,'' totally ignoring it and asking how hard it was to 'care' for me. and telling her she must be an angel to do it. As if I was incapable of hearing or understanding

Not that I'm bitter or anything. Of course.

famethrowa

Quote from: studpuppet on March 25, 2020, 11:19:55 AM
The elephant (nose) in the room.

I don't think it counts when you're a Beatle, does it? Ringorr would have had 1/4 of the world's female population throwing themselves at him for a good few years there.

QDRPHNC

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 27, 2020, 05:29:55 PM
No arguments there. That's one of the highlights. But No Mercy? Madonna's dirge? Fucking Reef? Kavana? KAVANA?

I liked the No Mercy song, good bit of silliness.

Surprising to be reminded that songs still climbed the charts in 1997 (think 1998 is when that more or less stopped until downloads started being counted?). Also didn't East 17's Hey Child plunge from the charts at an unusually rapid rate because this was when Brian Harvey admitted his fondness for ecstasy?

I don't think Evans ever went out with Spiteri, but he wasn't shy about why he wanted Texas to be on TFI Friday years after they'd last had a hit.

studpuppet

Quote from: famethrowa on March 29, 2020, 02:21:35 PM
I don't think it counts when you're a Beatle, does it? Ringorr would have had 1/4 of the world's female population throwing themselves at him for a good few years there.

"So, what attracted you to multi-millionaire alcoholic Richard Starkey?"

pigamus

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on March 28, 2020, 04:36:34 PM
There was a hint of 'Surely not' attitude in the press with Pierce Brosnan's wife and if I recall, Melinda Messenger's former husband. So cunty.

Fucking hell, they've never seen that Huey Lewis video then

famethrowa

Quote from: studpuppet on March 29, 2020, 03:04:24 PM
"So, what attracted you to multi-millionaire alcoholic Richard Starkey?"

Well I was thinking more "lovable moptop pop star", but whatever works

Quote from: Om on March 27, 2020, 04:06:07 PM
I'm sure they're a match made in heaven, they just always struck me as an odd coupling, but now you're questioning it I'm not sure why!

Happy #lockdown lunch

https://twitter.com/toyahofficial/status/1246763820053381122?s=09

Annie Labuntur

Quote from: Schnapple on March 24, 2020, 01:14:34 PM
Richard Herring spending years joking about wanting to have sex with Julia Sawahla and then ending up in actual relationship with her.

Inspired by watching Single White Female.

paruses

Had to skim-read 5 pages to check no-one had mentioned but -

Eddie Murphy and Mel B - not looks or status-wise but mainly because he was so massive and cool and exotic (i.e. American) when I was about 15 growing up in the provinces and she is a contemporary of mine with a relatable accent (albeit one who was in one of the biggest selling girl bands ever). With the exception of Posh all of the Spice Girls seemed very parochial to me even at the height of their fame.

paruses

Also - Clare out of Steps is married to either a self-employed electrician or plumber. Just made her even more attractive to me. She seems really nice.

buttgammon

Quote from: paruses on April 11, 2020, 07:36:04 AM
Had to skim-read 5 pages to check no-one had mentioned but -

Eddie Murphy and Mel B - not looks or status-wise but mainly because he was so massive and cool and exotic (i.e. American) when I was about 15 growing up in the provinces and she is a contemporary of mine with a relatable accent (albeit one who was in one of the biggest selling girl bands ever). With the exception of Posh all of the Spice Girls seemed very parochial to me even at the height of their fame.

Having somehow missed that one, it's a surprise to me too. There's something endearingly rough-around-the-edges about them with hindsight. The last time I heard Wannabe, it was a bit of a shock to realise how shambolic it was, not least because they all sounded like normal young women who had just randomly walked into the recording studio.