Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

is anyone actually obeying the lockdown?

Started by Gregory Torso, March 24, 2020, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Torso

Maybe its because i'm in a small town on the outskirts of Nottingham, but i ask, because I've been in my flat all day and outside there's been constant hither and thither of people strolling around laughing and talking, dogs, cyclists, children, traffic, I saw a plumber's van so he obviously went to work, buses with people sitting next to each other inside them, two hearses, just old people with tesco bags swaggering up and down the road. Nothing is different. Someone drove past in a car playing music with the window down. So fuck it, right? all steam ahead ignore everything thats been happening yeah?

Buelligan

I don't know but say, plumbers, can you think of a reason why it might be OK for a plumber to be working when there's a countrywide lockdown?

Gregory Torso

yeah I know I was just being, am being, facetious, but there's no change here at all in traffic or people outside, and I'm wondering what it would take for people to start self isolating

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I haven't been out in two days, but that's not unusual. I am a lazy sod.

Gregory Torso

i'm getting the fear, i'm getting i need to go on a booze run but i shouldn't but like no one else is taking this seirously

Fambo Number Mive

I haven't been out since Tuesday. It's been very quiet aside from the people doing DIY a few doors down, I can see two men in fluorescent coats.

Buelligan

Just relax.  Stress is very unhealthy.  Take care of the stuff you can take care of and let the rest float away.  That's my advice.

pancreas

I had to go and pick up the car from the MOT, so I am one of the people you are talking about. However, if I need to do food deliveries for the mutual aid group or we need to flee hordes of zombies, then I will need it.

I also went round infecting everyone's letter box by advising them of their local mutual aid group.

That's all I did though.

alan nagsworth

As I type this there are children running back and forth directly behind me on the street outside. Fucking little filthy hands snot nosed disease sacks. HAVING FUN ARE WE, PERPETUATING DEATH?

I went out just to get fresh air yesterday and walked for 5 mins round the block and freaked out when someone came walking behind me at a speedy pace and clearly didn't give a fuck about being near me or even overtaking me. ALRIGHT THERE ARE WE MATE? ALRIGHT WITH JUST POINT BLANK DISMISSING ALL THE SHIT ON THE NEWS BECAUSE YOU WANT TO GET TO THE END OF THE STREET 5 SECONDS QUICKER THAN ME?

Fuck everyone. If you're not taking this shit seriously you deserve to die. I don't care I'll say it. Die.

Cardenio I

I went to the shops before and it was eerie quiet and quite melancholy. All of my favourite little cafes and pubs closed, independent concerns that might not open again. If they're still there when this ends I'm going straight to see the friendly Turkish ladies for a fucking boatload of borek and sucuk.

Endicott

Quote from: Buelligan on March 24, 2020, 05:03:40 PM
I don't know but say, plumbers, can you think of a reason why it might be OK for a plumber to be working when there's a countrywide lockdown?

Someone on the lunch news (Gove? - not sure, could have been anyone) said plumbers can still work, but to make sure to keep a distance.

If my house was flooding from a burst pipe i'd want a plumber.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Yes very quiet in the city centre but anywhere where there are likely to be cyclists and joggers is busy.

It might be coronavirus but it is still the first day of spring. I spent lunch sunbathing in the deserted Granary Wharf.

The other thing to mention is that this isn't lockdown, it's work from home if you can and go out for essentials and exercise only.

BlodwynPig

A fair few cyclists out in their lycra, dog walker dropping their black bags into the hedgerows (fuck you YOU CUNTS), but mostly courteous walkers crossing the road to avoid each other

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Endicott on March 24, 2020, 05:19:21 PM
Someone on the lunch news (Gove? - not sure, could have been anyone) said plumbers can still work, but to make sure to keep a distance.

Even if the plumber was a zombie with AIDS?

Endicott

I go out for exercise and there are less people about, and about 50% of those I see cross the road, or I do if they don't, and then they gesture a thanks. I think the people not taking it seriously are possibly a minority now but of course they are a very visible one and there are still quite a lot of them.

Endicott

Quote from: BlodwynPig on March 24, 2020, 05:23:01 PM
Even if the plumber was a zombie with AIDS?

Then I'd sign it up as a film extra.

Lemming

Tesco Extra at Seacroft PACKED. People sneezing on each other, coughing on the food, terrible scenes. The shelves looked a lot more well-stocked than in previous days though so maybe the panic-buyers have fucked off at least.

Buelligan

Quote from: Endicott on March 24, 2020, 05:19:21 PM

Quite.

Quote from: Buelligan on March 24, 2020, 05:03:40 PM

I called a plumber today because my hot water has packed in. Nobody should be calling them to get their new bathroom suite fitted, but there are countless legitimate reasons why someone might need a plumber right now. Just make sure you do everything you can to protect them by keeping 2 metres apart and wiping down surfaces they've touched.

Plumbers, electricians, gas engineers, phone engineers, etc. are essential to keeping the country running in a crisis. Plus, they really, really need the money because the government aren't doing shit for them.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Cardenio I on March 24, 2020, 05:16:02 PM
If they're still there when this ends I'm going straight to see the friendly Turkish ladies for a fucking boatload of borek and sucuk.

Clearly fishing for an "I bet you are you dirty bollocks" there

Endicott

Quote from: Buelligan on March 24, 2020, 05:31:21 PM
Quite.

Ha! Just realised I misread your post.

DIY stores also considered essential supplies - thank fuck[nb]that I don't work in retail[/nb]!

weekender

Chap came round to look at my dishwasher today, we agreed to keep an even more respectable distance than normal.  Apparently some people's reaction to him has been to try and go up and hug him for still working, make of this what you will.

But no, none of the Great British Twats are going to change anything unless there are actual consequences like the Army running supermarkets, instead of Boris saying "We might fine you £30 if you go outside but we obviously haven't got enough Police to enforce general drug gangs anyway so how the fuck is this lockdown going to work?".

I'm obeying it partially insofar as I'm staying in most of the time but I might pop to the garage to get a bottle of wine in my cycle mask and overpriced hood if the mood suits.

Buelligan

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 24, 2020, 05:44:37 PM
I called a plumber today because my hot water has packed in. Nobody should be calling them to get their new bathroom suite fitted, but there are countless legitimate reasons why someone might need a plumber right now. Just make sure you do everything you can to protect them by keeping 2 metres apart and wiping down surfaces they've touched.

Plumbers, electricians, gas engineers, phone engineers, etc. are essential to keeping the country running in a crisis. Plus, they really, really need the money because the government aren't doing shit for them.

Precisely.

Buelligan

kittens

mein broder ist ein self employed gardener. literally no choice but to go to work innit. life ruined for sure if he don't cos no money, life ruined for maybe if he do cos corona. easy decision. must be loads of people in our brave nation facing the same decision. if only our PM had the big balls to say 'money for all'. Sir Johnson if you are reading this I implore you to grow a big pair of big balls.

Emma Raducanu

Today was the first day where I've noticed things go really quiet. Barely a car come down the street, not heard any children. I went for 4l of emergency milk this morning. 3 people in the shop, all keeping distance. It gave me a sense of peace. Probably back to normal tomorrow though.

On a side note, I'm loving things so far. No deaths in my family and spending all day at home playing, cooking, relaxing in the garden. It is how I would choose to spend a holiday. I don't expect to feel this way in 12 weeks. I really must start exercising; I've put on noticeable weight.

Cardenio I

Quote from: Inspector Norse on March 24, 2020, 05:45:41 PM
Clearly fishing for an "I bet you are you dirty bollocks" there

And yet you couldn't bring yourself to oblige in these trying times. Perhaps the real virus is you.