Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 09:15:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

is anyone actually obeying the lockdown?

Started by Gregory Torso, March 24, 2020, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 24, 2020, 06:23:32 PM
Today was the first day where I've noticed things go really quiet. Barely a car come down the street, not heard any children.

Smelt a couple of barbecues in the afternoon sun, surreal when there's not another soul to be seen

Non Stop Dancer

I went to my office to collect some kettle bells, my 24 box set and a life size cardboard cutout of Keanu Reeves.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 24, 2020, 05:44:37 PM
protect them by keeping 2 metres apart and wiping down surfaces they've touched.

Get you? How about you wiping down their surfaces that you touched?

When the antibody test is cheap enough you'll see little badges saying "OFFICIAL COVID-19 IMMUNE" and people will wear them with pride and they will get preference in jobs. Trust a trader, dot com.

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: Jasha on March 24, 2020, 06:33:36 PM
Smelt a couple of barbecues in the afternoon sun, surreal when there's not another soul to be seen

Need to use all that meat we bought in a panic

Camp Tramp

The streets were quieter here in Brighton but there were congregations forming around the supermarkets.

I'm going to go out for a jog later. I am trying to keep a continent between myself and other humans

Gregory Torso

I just ventured out to the tesco to get some wine and almost instantly a small child whizzed past on a bike screaming "ALRIGHT BALDY".

imitationleather

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 24, 2020, 06:42:37 PM
I just ventured out to the tesco to get some wine and almost instantly a small child whizzed past on a bike screaming "ALRIGHT BALDY".

You're not supposed to be going out just to get booze.

I hope you got fags as well.

Bently Sheds

Bottom of my road is a t-junction with the main road out of town Usually you sit there ages for a gap to appear to get out into traffic, at 3:30 it's usually heaving with school run 4x4s, buses and early finishers. Today at 3:30 it was completely empty.

Similarly Morrisons that time of the afternoon is chock full of mums and infant/junior school kids. Today there were about 30 people in total doing their shopping.

Apart from the twats trying to stand next to you in the chilled section and the bell-end couple who barged in front of Mrs Sheds to beat her to the scouring pads, most folks kept a sensible distance from each other & staff were really careful to avoid shoppers.

Gregory Torso

Quote from: imitationleather on March 24, 2020, 06:48:06 PM
You're not supposed to be going out just to get booze.

I got a loaf of bread as well.

holyzombiejesus

Our Morrisons has a 1 in, 1 out policy monitored by a security guard so it's dead easy to shoplift it was pretty quiet this afternoon. It's a bit odd where I live, with people voicing concerns about the area becoming too desirable and whatnot, and these kinds of people were audible across the aisles mocking till operators for wearing gloves and making a big point of standing next to each other. Most obeyed the rules though. On the way back, a dickhead cyclist swerved towards me and said something (might have been 'thanks' 'cause I was standing on the grass to allow him to pass but I got the impression he was being an arse) but everyone else was fine. Quite a few elderly people though and lots of builders and workmen out in the streets.

idunnosomename

youd think paulie walnuts would be the first obey boris's bunker bolt-up

Never mind.  They've got growing-up, bitter disillusion and the souring of their soul ahead.

Danger Man

Any child living in a small town outside Nottingham has already lost the game of life.

chveik

dear Gregory Torso, you will be pleased to hear that I've been a very good boy during this first week of lockdown, and I've done everything by the book. they're talking about extending it to late april, so I might go fucking apeshit at some point.

Inspector Norse

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on March 24, 2020, 06:34:00 PM
I went to my office to collect some kettle bells, my 24 box set and a life size cardboard cutout of Keanu Reeves.

Good thinking, the panic buyers and hoarders snaffled all the Keanu cutouts long ago.

bgmnts

Fucking hell lads if you can't spend an incredibly long time in an enclosed space you need to sort it out.

ZoyzaSorris

Went for my one cycle ride of the day along with the boy which was actually really idyllic, but beyond that, no. So quiet here in London, makes you realise what an infernal multimedia reinterpretation of a Heironymous Bosch painting the place is normally. Not sure I'll be able to handle it when it goes back.

Thomas

Comparatively sensible here in Ireland. I popped to the vets earlier to get my cat his special food and exchanged pleasantries with the vet from two metres away. I've not seen much of the city centre since FUCKDOWN began, but it's been relatively quiet on the two occasions I've been to Lidl (except for the massive trailing queue outside Tesco).

Pingers

Very quiet round here. It's suddenly become very obvious who the dealers are.

We are sticking to it to the letter. One short walk per day to look at the dealers. Haven't seen anyone buying though.

Went to Aldi. Dead in there. Plenty of stock. Most people keeping their distance, except for one girl in a surgical mask who kept pushing past people and decided to stand half a metre behind the woman in front of her at the checkout. That's been a bit of a feature of this 'vid situation; The folks who are trying their best to appear to be taking the most care with their masks and scarves are actually the most recklessly dangerous cunts out there.

MojoJojo

ExMrsJojo had symptoms so I've been isolating since Sunday - 14 days while she only has 7 :-(

Did find myself having to talk myself out of popping to tesco this evening on the basis it couldn't hurt. Someone else can drop off milk.

Beagle 2

Yeah, people are taking it very seriously in this bit of York for the first time today. Eerie as fuck going out to get a lightbulb and having no cars whatsoever on the usual choking, packed road. Actually really bloody lovely.

pigamus

Quote from: Gregory Torso on March 24, 2020, 06:53:05 PM
I got a loaf of bread as well.

I bet loads of people are doing that. Just to make it respectable. As if the cashiers give a fuck.

Thomas

Quote from: Beagle 2 on March 24, 2020, 07:59:10 PM
Actually really bloody lovely.

Perhaps the economy will be recalibrated to allow for positive periods of downtime and low activity. A slide towards less, more productive, healthier work. With Universal Basic Income on top!

(Though I'm sure it'll just be more austerity, making an ideological point that nationalising things and paying UBI can only happen in a crisis and that they leave a huge taxbill in their wake. The Mail are already running with this angle, getting it ready for popular acceptance).

Icehaven

Huuuuuge queue outside Aldi at about 1pm today, snaking dozens of meters back into their car park, and only 5 being let in at a time. The Poundland next door and Iceland directly opposite were near deserted and had plenty of the hard to find stuff including toilet roll, eggs, bread, milk, canned food etc. No idea what the appeal of Aldi was other than lack of imagination. We got just enough to last until about the weekend (can't carry much more and any more feels like overbuying anyway.)

There are weird misconceptions and so on though, on the way home Mr. H popped into a Premier corner shop to get some vape liquid, and I just casually mentioned we could get some pasta if they had any. A woman working there overheard and scornfully said "We don't have pasta, no one has any pasta!" as if it was ridiculous I'd even considered it. There were two shops within a minute's walk of there that had plenty, it was only because we were already in her shop that I even mentioned it. It's really not as bad as it's being depicted online in a lot of places, but yeah that's enormously dependent on where you are.   

Danger Man

I'm going to the local shop for a loaf of bread and as much cider as they will give me.

Lockdown update in 20 minutes.......

El Unicornio, mang

I just can't fathom people feeling they need to get out for anything bar essentials. It's cold out, all the social venues are closed. Just go and get your food or walk your dog and go home. Otherwise you're just contributing to the spread of death and illness and more strain on the hospitals. People having barbecues in the park like it's summer 2018.

holyzombiejesus

It's beautiful out and in these horrible depressing days, getting a bit of exercise (whilst observing the distancing measures) can be really beneficial.

El Unicornio, mang

It was 15 and cloudy where I am. I am in the grim north though. Obviously people should get out for a bit of exercise/fresh air, but not grilling out in parks in groups.