Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,478
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:51:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

is anyone actually obeying the lockdown?

Started by Gregory Torso, March 24, 2020, 05:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2020, 12:21:45 PM
With the roads less busy drivers are not as alert as usual - they are going out and putting themselves at risk of being hit by a car and it is simply not necessary
The nhs do its need to be dealing with Colin in his "team sky" Lycra being nobbled of his bike at this moment
And if you don't want to get raped don't go our in a short skirt.

selectivememory

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2020, 12:21:45 PM
With the roads less busy drivers are not as alert as usual

If that is the case[nb]and it sounds like bollocks to me, but I don't drive so I don't know for sure[/nb], it sounds like you should be annoyed with drivers rather than cyclists.

It's been a while since I've ridden a bike, but I always felt much safer on quieter roads than on busier ones.

kittens

drivers are being careless so cyclists must stay home lest they get what they deserve.

wooders1978

It being cyclists fault they are currently more in danger than usual is not the point I am making but hey ho

Norton Canes

I hope people being at home doesn't result in them doing more DIY. The last thing we want is people with a hacksaw blade embedded in their arm using valuable NHS resources.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Norton Canes on March 25, 2020, 01:36:32 PM
I hope people being at home doesn't result in them doing more DIY. The last thing we want is people with a hacksaw blade embedded in their arm using valuable NHS resources.

I hope people at home are not living. Living increases your risk of ending up in hospital or dead.

kalowski

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2020, 01:11:39 PM
It being cyclists fault they are currently more in danger than usual is not the point I am making but hey ho
I'm glad you know the point you are making because the rest of us don't.

Fambo Number Mive

Someone had their kitchen delivered today it seems with a kitchen lorry throbbing away outside my window. Otherwise everyone appears to be obeying the lockdown. I haven't left my house for a week so hard to say.

Zetetic

I ride my bicycle on the pavement, the safest part of the road.

Careless car drivers don't need the hassle of diligent cyclists in this difficult time, they want to enjoy the freedom of the uncluttered road and bloody Johnny two-wheels is fucking that right up.

chveik

it's not that hard to understand that healthcare workers could do without car drivers/cyclists being reckless and ending up in the hospital.

kalowski

Quote from: chveik on March 25, 2020, 04:17:16 PM
it's not that hard to understand that healthcare workers could do without car drivers/cyclists being reckless and ending up in the hospital.
Correct. But it is hard to understand the concept that being on a bike constitutes that recklessness.

wooders1978

Quote from: kalowski on March 25, 2020, 04:54:57 PM
Correct. But it is hard to understand the concept that being on a bike constitutes that recklessness.

Is it?

bgmnts

Putting cyclists in the same category as drivers is like putting BB guns in the same category as hydrogen bombs.

Cuellar

Never seen my neighbours more active and outside than in the past couple of days.

Ian Benson

Quote from: bgmnts on March 25, 2020, 05:14:00 PM
Putting cyclists in the same category as drivers is like putting BB guns in the same category as hydrogen bombs.

And vice versa.

Jockice

I went out for a drive on my own yesterday. It was good.

Uncle TechTip

Just to reiterate, the roads are now more dangerous for cyclists because there are fewer cars around.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Aren't reckless drivers likely to come a cropper themselves?

purlieu

Quote from: icehaven on March 24, 2020, 08:30:51 PMNo idea what the appeal of Aldi was other than lack of imagination.
That's it, isn't it? Lots of people won't even consider going into a shop they don't recognise, which is why lots of local shops, corner shops and such - especially those without Premier / Mace / Londis branding - are fully stocked. Went to the local Tesco Express this afternoon to grab some veg and other perishables, and all the toilet roll and soap was still out of stock. Walking back I passed the corner shop on my street to see a bloke walking out with a pack of bog roll.

It's definitely quieter here. I've been walking the dog over fields that don't have many people anyway as the townies were definitely out in force in the woods at the end of last week, but there's less traffic and the M69 is noticeably quieter, even with the wind blowing from that direction. Tesco was busier than I expected / hoped, and I appeared to be the only person attempting social distancing (not easy in a small shop, admittedly). The odd person I've passed outside has made the effort, though, and I've noticed those I pass seem to smile and say hello more.

BlodwynPig

Had to bellow at a young cunt speeding along a quiet countryside lane today. Glorious day, wildlife in abundance and this cunt uses the rat run to speed at 60 along a single track road. I shouted, he swerved and is now dead in a ditch.

Pedestrian 1 - 0 Car driver

kalowski

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2020, 05:06:33 PM
Is it?
Yes.
Fewer driver on the road
False assumption: They are therefore less alert or aware of other road users
Baseless claim: Cyclist on the road is more likely to be hit by these less alert car drivers
Conclusion: Cyclist are at fault

alan nagsworth

Quote from: MrMrs on March 25, 2020, 12:46:05 PM
Mental flex tbf to the wood man

This got a big laugh out of me, cheers

Quote from: purlieu on March 25, 2020, 06:09:26 PM
Walking back I passed the corner shop on my street to see a bloke walking out with a pack of bog roll.

Aye the corner shop by my gaff has practically a whole wall stacked with packs of shit tickets, like a great museum exhibit in tribute to the stupidity of everyone. He's also got a display box of 12 bottles of Dove hand soap right out at the front of the till counter. Glorious scenes. Bloke doesn't give a fuck.

Zetetic

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2020, 05:06:33 PM
Is it?
The pedestrians are even worse. How are they supposed to get out of the way on their feeble legs?

alan nagsworth

In fairness if I was driving a car on a much emptier road and I saw a cyclist I'd find it hard to resist getting a bit "reckless" myself, just to tip the scales back in our favour as far as road usage statistics were concerned. If you don't take action now then once this whole pandemic thing is over the cyclists will be fucking running the roads.

wooders1978

Quote from: kalowski on March 25, 2020, 07:25:04 PM
Yes.
Fewer driver on the road
False assumption: They are therefore less alert or aware of other road users
Baseless claim: Cyclist on the road is more likely to be hit by these less alert car drivers
Conclusion: Cyclist are at fault

There's no need to be driving about unless you are doing something necessary like going for supplies or heading to work at one of the deemed workplace locations, otherwise stay inside
There is no need to be bombing about on your bike either, to do so is selfish hubris at the moment when nhs have other shit to worry about right now, what is so hard to understand?
Sorry if I am guilt tripping you out of your bike ride mate

imitationleather

I went for a walk through Newcastle at 5pm. It was very, very dead.

Months of this is going to send a lot of people completely mental.

kalowski

Quote from: wooders1978 on March 25, 2020, 08:19:27 PM
There's no need to be driving about unless you are doing something necessary like going for supplies or heading to work at one of the deemed workplace locations, otherwise stay inside
There is no need to be bombing about on your bike either, to do so is selfish hubris at the moment when nhs have other shit to worry about right now, what is so hard to understand?
Sorry if I am guilt tripping you out of your bike ride mate
Bloody government advice

Quoteone form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: imitationleather on March 25, 2020, 08:21:38 PM
I went for a walk through Newcastle at 5pm. It was very, very dead.

Months of this is going to send a lot of people completely mental.

Other than the pubs being shut and the transport being on reduced service I think it's great. Been sunbathing on my lunch, barely anyone around.

Annoyingly humans appear to be essential for the maintenance of basic infrastructure so I suppose some can be allowed to live. That is still rather annoying.