Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:35:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ordering non-essential stuff online - a cunt's game, or fair game?

Started by alan nagsworth, March 24, 2020, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alan nagsworth

I've got a bit of disposable income now I'm not spending it all on public transport, alcohol, impromptu lunches and hot air balloon orgies. I figured I could probably chuck a bit of this at some things I've been meaning to get my hands on. At the moment, I'd quite like some garden furniture from IKEA to enjoy this nice weather, an electronic drum kit, and to steadily expand my record collection.

So are delivery companies and the Royal Mail likely to despise me for clogging up the mail bags full of of oxygen tanks and ventilators and nurse scrubs with my deck chairs and the Secret Chiefs 3 discography? Or is that alright?

I'm obviously not ordering owt from Amazon but then are other areas of the postal service under similar strain now because of strict health measures and that? Places like Discogs say they want to do as much to keep independent record shops in business as possible so I am a bit torn and I want you lot to either come down on me like a hammer and call me out for the selfish prick I am, or kiss me gently on the forehead and tell me it's all going to be okay and I should buy absolutely whatever I want. No middle ground, only those options are accepted.

alan nagsworth

Answer me you knobheads so I can hurry up with setting up my elite sun lounger/drum kit combo on the decking outside and frisbee records at complaining neighbours

This is serious

peanutbutter

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 24, 2020, 05:04:01 PM
At the moment, I'd quite like some garden furniture from IKEA to enjoy this nice weather,
£40 minimum delivery charge, aren't they?

Emma Raducanu

I've ordered roofers seal and metal paint for fixing the guttering. Arrives tomorrow

holyzombiejesus

I keep deleting my response as I get confused. I think you should go for it and doubt very much that the mail people will give a shit. I do worry that employees are being made to ignore the distancing measures. All record shops seem to be screaming out for people to buy from them but in my experience, the 'backstage' area of small independent shops is generally tiny. Also, you said I should tell people who'd ordered a record from me that I wouldn't post it due to current issues and I've been pondering that a lot bit and wondering whether to take my Discogs stuff offline.

MojoJojo

SpiderChrist

imitationleather

My missus has ordered a load of clothes.

Where she's going I do not know.

Pingers

Quote from: imitationleather on March 24, 2020, 08:06:54 PM
My missus has ordered a load of clothes.

Where she's going I do not know.

She's going to dress up as your dad for sexy times

imitationleather

I've ordered this wind-up radio which is also a torch and a phone charger, a set of handkerchiefs and reusable nappies from Amazon.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: MojoJojo on March 24, 2020, 07:55:32 PM
Does pH minus for the hot tub count as an unessential?

I've never had to use that in mine, always pH plus. Tub currently empty, may have to sort that for the weekend.

Had £30 of Amazon vouchers burning a hole in my pocket, ordered some Basil and Pomegranate tonic water and a copy of 120 Days of Sodom, which i haven't read for years. Fair looking forward to receiving both.

It would be nice to think that if people stopped ordering stuff, the poor fuckers in the warehouses, sorting offices and vans would be sent home for three weeks on full pay, rather than simply being laid off. imitationleather's wife buying what's quite likely to be a try-on haul for her onlyfans subscribers might be the only thing keeping a roof over their heads.

imitationleather

chveik

weekender

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on March 24, 2020, 08:49:20 PM
It would be nice to think that if people stopped ordering stuff, the poor fuckers in the warehouses, sorting offices and vans would be sent home for three weeks on full pay, rather than simply being laid off.

It might be more preferable to think of a way that this apparent distribution network could be utilised effectively.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on March 24, 2020, 07:50:07 PM
I keep deleting my response as I get confused. I think you should go for it and doubt very much that the mail people will give a shit. I do worry that employees are being made to ignore the distancing measures. All record shops seem to be screaming out for people to buy from them but in my experience, the 'backstage' area of small independent shops is generally tiny. Also, you said I should tell people who'd ordered a record from me that I wouldn't post it due to current issues and I've been pondering that a lot bit and wondering whether to take my Discogs stuff offline.

Forgive me, it was a moment of passion. But now the situation favours me I take back my previous remark and would like to buy everything you're selling just so me and you can laugh at the postman. Sound good?

JamesTC

Cloud

It's better that people are ordering online than going into places picking things up and putting them down and coughing on the staff.  I think it's fine.  At least delivery employees can stay relatively isolated in their vehicles, I think a lot of them have a "leave on doorstep" policy now.  Kind of hoping warehouses are well controlled though.   But surely it's the safest way to get things around, with enough refinement.

Norton Canes

With Amazon, Sports Direct and Evans on the naughty list, where is a viable option to buy from?

Norton Canes

Local bike shop still open (doors locked - entry by appointment only), on the 'essential' list as they're doing free services for key workers. Don't know if they'll deliver.

What did Evans do wrong?

Turns out Ashley owns Evans too.

I completely forgot that bike shops got a pass.

I was looking at getting a turbo over the winter, but it seems a 27.5" wheel is an issue.

Brian Freeze

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on March 25, 2020, 08:45:31 AM
With Amazon, Sports Direct and Evans on the naughty list, where is a viable option to buy from?

Do Planet X sell them?

Chain Reaction Cycles keep emailing me to offer turbo trainers. They might have some left.

alan nagsworth

Fuck do you need trainers for? It's LOCKDOWN mate. Unless you intend to use them to RUN UP a huge electricity bill!!