Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:03:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ordering non-essential stuff online - a cunt's game, or fair game?

Started by alan nagsworth, March 24, 2020, 05:04:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MojoJojo

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on March 24, 2020, 08:44:19 PM
I've never had to use that in mine, always pH plus. Tub currently empty, may have to sort that for the weekend.

Guess you must be in a soft water area. It normally takes me a couple of days to get the total alkalinity down. Luckily my pH minus has come a day early.

This is hot tub chat.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 09:41:13 AM
Fuck do you need trainers for? It's LOCKDOWN mate. Unless you intend to use them to RUN UP a huge electricity bill!!

Does that mean I can buy new slippers then? Mine are fucked.

imitationleather

alan nagsworth

I actually would bloody love some slippers. Getting right on that today.

As with the above I have not worn any undercrackers since last Thursday and I don't think I ever will again.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 01:39:38 PM

As with the above I have not worn any undercrackers since last Thursday and I don't think I ever will again.

I recommend a nice pair of moccasins.

I've been wearing tracksuit bottoms so have done away with the old pants as well.

amateur

I can't stop buying crates of beer from local breweries. Glad I did though because they're all shutting up shop and it'll be nice to have something tasty before it's back to Holsten Pils.

alan nagsworth

I rate Holsten Pils. One of my favourite "available in every offy" lagers.

amateur

Got my eye on a crate in the local Costcutter don't you worry.

purlieu

I'm wary of buying inessential stuff from warehouses at the minute, but small businesses less so. A lot of record shops, book shops and such are closed and buying stuff online is helping keep them afloat with very little social interaction involved.

Dex Sawash

Ordered 5 pair of ladies ankle length compression pants (black) from Old Navy today, $6 each.
Didn't get the ones with the phone pocket, they were $12.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 25, 2020, 01:43:40 PM
I recommend a nice pair of moccasins.

Got some Dunlop moccz on your recommendation. Tweed design, faux fur lining with memory foam sole. Can't wait.

purlieu

Knowing we'd be stuck in here for a while, we bought an armchair from a charity shop last week, to help convert the dining room into a living room (once life got back to "normal" we were planning on donating it back to the shop). Due for delivery last Saturday, it was then pushed back to today, and this week they decided they weren't going to make any more deliveries because of the virus (had to look at the website, a phone call would have been nice).

So now it won't come until after we've stopped needing it, and in the meantime we might have to look elsewhere. Feel bad ordering an armchair online, though, as I can see the person in the warehouse getting the order and thinking "who the fuck is buying furniture right now?!"

Puce Moment

Loads of people are needing to buy new furniture, especially beds. Just do it mate - as long as you are careful it will be fine.

Shit Good Nose

Last I heard, the government, all postal services and retail industry were all actively encouraging people to continue shopping online as normal, presumably cos it's the only part of the UK that is continuing relatively normally at the moment.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: purlieu on March 26, 2020, 06:32:01 PM
Feel bad ordering an armchair online, though, as I can see the person in the warehouse getting the order and thinking "who the fuck is buying furniture right now?!"

I'm no longer arsed. We've just ordered a garden table and two chairs. Currently ordering a load of gear to fill the garden with flowers an' all, fuck it!

imitationleather

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 07:47:04 PM
Got some Dunlop moccz on your recommendation. Tweed design, faux fur lining with memory foam sole. Can't wait.

Nice! I just looked up how much more Dunlops with memory foam are compared to some no-brand pair like I bought last time and it's only a few quid. Definitely getting those this time.

Pranet

My brother is a postman. He says in terms of parcels it is as busy as Christmas at the moment. I asked him if I bought a book, would I be being a dick. He said no, its fine, they can leave parcels outside.... (which might explain why something I ordered just before this went apeshit never turned up). He said they can understand people buying books and games it is people who are buying loads of clothes he doesn't understand. So there you go, officially postal workers at least are fine with it.

Quote from: Pranet on March 27, 2020, 09:56:56 PM
It is people who are buying loads of clothes he doesn't understand.

I think there's going to be a crazy amount of returns on apparel bought online in a few weeks.

Fambo Number Mive

Is ordering books from Amazon putting their workers at risk? I've had two parcels from them since mid-March now (same delivery driver each time as I specify a day). He leaves it outside my door, rings my bell and I watch out the window that he is 2m away so I don't put him at risk before I open the door. If I order another load of books later this month, will he think I am an arsehole? I'm getting through books really quickly as there is not much else to do.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on May 07, 2020, 12:22:51 PM
Is ordering books from Amazon putting their workers at risk? I've had two parcels from them since mid-March now (same delivery driver each time as I specify a day). He leaves it outside my door, rings my bell and I watch out the window that he is 2m away so I don't put him at risk before I open the door. If I order another load of books later this month, will he think I am an arsehole? I'm getting through books really quickly as there is not much else to do.

Quote from: Pranet on March 27, 2020, 09:56:56 PM
My brother is a postman. He says in terms of parcels it is as busy as Christmas at the moment. I asked him if I bought a book, would I be being a dick. He said no, its fine, they can leave parcels outside.... (which might explain why something I ordered just before this went apeshit never turned up). He said they can understand people buying books and games it is people who are buying loads of clothes he doesn't understand. So there you go, officially postal workers at least are fine with it.

The above suggests you'll be fine Fambo, and I'm not just reposting it as I've bought some books lately too. And on the clothes front I've bought a couple of work shirts lately as I've put on weight, so that could partially be why others are.

I went to the post office yesterday as it's the new Mrs SMBH's birthday soon and had to wait 40 minutes before I got in the shop, which was partially due to a couple of people who were ebayers and sending off upwards of 50 plus parcels. I get that they need to still run their business, etc, but jesus christ was I ready to murder them when I saw them. And so I did.

Attila

I've bought a few things off etsy since lockdown, mostly crafty things like knitting needles and wool to knit socks (I've not been learning to knit due to the lockdown thing; been knitting for nearly 50 years now[1] as I learnt as a tot), and most sellers have been pretty good about getting stuff out quickly, or at least keeping in touch if there will be a delay.

I'm about to open a case against one seller, though; bought something off her back in late March, and still haven't got it. She first told me that the post office she used was shut, so there'd be a delay, fair enough. Her next excuse was when she went to the town post office, she didn't want to wait in the queue. No reply when I suggested that she use a courier, which a lot of ebay and etsy people have been doing at the moment. I've got £100 tied up with this woman, so yeah.

[1] and boy are my arms tired! har

Fambo Number Mive

I thought with Amazon that they rang the bell and then you waited for them to move away  2m before opening the door, but I had a parcel delivered yesterday and got told off because I was waiting for the delivery person to move out the way and he was waiting for some confirmation that I was there before moving out the way 2m. Am I meant to call through the door hello when he rings the bell? If I get a different delivery person next week (I've ordered some more books as I am going mad) will they think I am being weird as normally they just ring the bell and move back 2m and wait.

Dex Sawash

"thank you, just put it down and I'll come out and get it"

Only you'll need to say it not enter it as text into a web form, say it loud because the door will be closed.

Blue Jam

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 01:39:38 PM

Got mine from Tu at Sainsbury's.They've had 25% off absolutely everything, probably due to a desperate need to empty their warehouses of tons of stock, and they're still doing click and collect. The 25% offer has finished now but Tu is cheap as chips as it is.

Slippers were £5.25 and I also ordered some socks and some comfy clothes for slobbing about the house in.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Dex Sawash on June 10, 2020, 01:25:45 AM
"thank you, just put it down and I'll come out and get it"

Only you'll need to say it not enter it as text into a web form, say it loud because the door will be closed.
Or open the door just wide enough so they know which one it is, then they put it just outside, and go.

Fambo Number Mive

Blue Jam

I ordered some smart new werk clothes from Gap and TK Maxx but they sent them via Hermes who informed me they were "safely left in the porch" before they got nicked.

The electric toothbrush I ordered from Amazon was also delivered by Hermes but they knocked on the door before leaving it outside my flat. Hermes don't dare dick around with Big Jeff.

Fambo Number Mive

Why do businesses continue to use Hermes? I presume that the number of customers who will stop using them because they use Hermes is low enough that it doesn't matter.

I wonder if some businesses would get a lot more custom by never using Hermes and making it clear on their website that they don't.