Author Topic: Homebrew thread  (Read 36391 times)

Re: Homebrew thread
« Reply #840 on: September 14, 2021, 07:14:17 PM »
Had myself a brew day today! Here's a small selection of pics.

I tried to post images but when I clicked preview, the pictures were ENORMOUS! So I put them as urls so that they don't mess up the whole thread.

My keggle that works as my mash tun/brew kettle
https://imgurupload.org/files/20210914-105037.jpg

End of boil and transfer to wort chiller
https://imgurupload.org/files/20210914-144402.jpg

And into the fermenter.
https://imgurupload.org/files/20210914-181226.jpg

FerriswheelBueller

• CaB rear of the year 2020
  • Silver Member
  • Take it easy, but take it.
    • I am antsy for baseball in the off-season.
« Reply #841 on: September 14, 2021, 07:26:27 PM »
Had myself a brew day today! Here's a small selection of pics.

I tried to post images but when I clicked preview, the pictures were ENORMOUS! So I put them as urls so that they don't mess up the whole thread.

My keggle that works as my mash tun/brew kettle

End of boil and transfer to wort chiller

And into the fermenter.

you can type [img width=400***][**/img] (but remove the asterisks!) around the images to set the width. I usually use 400 pixels because that works on mobile but you can set it to whatever you like.

Looks amazing, very jealous of the keg set up - do you ferment in the keg also?

I set 6 gallons of pale ale going last night actually, planning to dry hop with the cones I harvested last week. Let's see how that goes...

« Reply #842 on: September 14, 2021, 07:29:57 PM »
Figured it out Ferris, I went back in the thread and saw what code you used. Thanks! Gravity ended up higher than it should be at about 1052, should have been 1048. Ah well. Next time I won't bulk out the malt bill as my efficiency seems to be where it should be nowadays (I think) thanks to a longer mash time. This is an amber ale hopped with Amarillo and Bramling Cross.

I ferment in the grainfather conical fermenter pictured above, but I know you can ferment in a corny keg. You need something called a spunding valve for that though.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #843 on: September 14, 2021, 07:34:20 PM »
Just realized I forgot to take an OG reading and its going like the clappers now so wont be accurate. Shit.

Nice wort colour on that - I've tried to move away from hops I rely on and do something different, amarillo is on my list actually

« Reply #844 on: September 14, 2021, 07:55:56 PM »
I've definitely done that before. I've forgotten to take an OG reading and then taken a reading after I've pitched the yeast. No brewday is perfect though, for example, today my scales ran out of battery and my spray bottle broke.

I made this beer before and I didn't order enough of the dark malts so it ended up more like an amarillo pale, but it tasted lovely though, real summery beer. Which is why I was then gutted when my co-habitee left the tap on and the remainder of the keg ended up on the floor. Hopefully I'll be second time lucky though with this batch.

Those homegrown hops should go down a treat. There are wild hops out this year but they are unpredictable. I made a beer with them before and they didn't do much and they were probably some musty tasting English hops. Bet those ones you are growing are a tasty North American variety.

FerriswheelBueller

• Silver Member
« Reply #845 on: September 14, 2021, 09:03:39 PM »
I’ve done an initial dry hop with 2oz of centennial (a hop I’ve never used actually), then will dry hop again in two weeks with the last oz of centennial pellets in my freezer and the 5oz of Chinook I grew. I’d love to try and forage for wild hops but they aren’t native here. A friend’s dad had them growing wild at the bottom of his field and I never got around to taking some and brewing with them, a missed opportunity.

I’m enjoying having pale malt, weirdly. I was an avid proponent of maris otter for years, but I think the extract I’m using is basically just 2-row. I’ve been changing the hopping routine and adjunct additions to see what impact it has. This is as interesting as it gets when you have a small child and are doing grad school and have no free time.

Tags: