Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Lost Steptoe

Started by Endicott, March 24, 2020, 08:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endicott

Starring Stewart Lee and Melvyn Hayes (yes it is him, in a time warp).

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

lazyhour

Thought that was Stewart Lee for a second.

petril

thought it was Lee with Super Hans, who'd let himself go, natch

Wonderful Butternut

Wow, The Bull McCabe really let himself go.

JesusAndYourBush

Deyv

Really anxious to know if Harold gets to go on his skiing trip.

Hand Solo

"I've had enough of this you derty `awld man, I'm going aaaht!"

"You can't go. It's me aaaaht `arold!"

"No, not aaaaht! Aaaaht!"

"But me aaaaaaaaaaht.."

"Not aaaaaaaaaaht!"

*suddenly breaks character into monotone and stares into screen*

"You've seen the rag and bone men, haven't you? The rag and bone men. With their rags, and their bones. With their rags and their bones and their old iron. Their old iron, their any old iron. Their any any any old iron. They're only human, after all..."

"Aaaaaaaah..."

petril

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 25, 2020, 12:48:42 AM
Me too.  None of the Steptoe episodes are lost.

the one with the two grumpy bastards shouting at each other was famously wiped until a copy turned up in the archives of the Congolese national broadcaster. getting it restored has become a stagnant mess as people keep sending requests to the wrong Congo. it is thought that the episode is secretly couriered between Brazzaville and Kinshasa on a regular basis for a bit of a laugh

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Catatonia consider rewrite.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on March 25, 2020, 12:48:42 AM
Me too.  None of the Steptoe episodes are lost.

These programs are part of sitcom season a few years ago. When it was announced, the shows were described in the press release as:

QuoteOn BBC Four, there will be recreations of three classic Lost Sitcoms. The scripts for these shows still exist but the original recordings have vanished from the archives. The Lost Sitcoms are Hancock's Half Hour 'The New Neighbour', written by Galton and Simpson featuring Kevin McNally as Tony Hancock and Robin Sebastian as Kenneth Williams; Steptoe and Son 'A Winter's Tale', also written by Galton and Simpson'; and Till Death Us Do Part 'A Woman's Place is in the Home', written by Johnny Speight. Each sitcom will be recreated with a brand new cast and filmed in a theatrical-style presentation in front of a studio audience. The Lost Sitcoms are a BBC In-house production and will be produced by Owen Bell and executive produced by Steven Canny.

However, eventually, the blurb changed to make the point that there is a black and white copy, but the original colour version is lost.

There were quite a few threads about the season - first one is here, which gives an overview of what was on offer - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=52732.0.

I'm not sure if it's still online, but an audio version exists of the Till Death Us Do Part episode that was recreated. It was quite interesting Mitchell's comparing it to Day's performance. The latter (I thought) was superb when Alf was merely pathetic - but in the opening scene, when Alf if on his own, it 's incredible to hear just how much of a frenzied state of anger that Mitchell's Alf got himself into so rapidly.