Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:52:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The ethics of buying booze and fags

Started by Rev+, March 25, 2020, 12:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rev+

Definitely deserves its own thread.

I have to leave my home for a specific journey each day, and walk past a shop on the way back in the evening.  I happen to walk past a corner shop, and if i nip in for a litre of vodka that's alright, surely?  It's not a specific journey for something frivolous, it's just that I happened to be passing.

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Dewt

Kryton

My bastard coil is about to go on my vape. Fucked if I'm dying for a coil. But without nicotine I'm going to grumpy.
Without booze I'm not going to sleep easy.

Wonder if I can brew some chekky hooch in a shoe like they do in prison films?

Danger Man

Quote from: Rev+ on March 25, 2020, 12:24:37 AM
I have to leave my home for a specific journey each day, and walk past a shop on the way back in the evening.  I happen to walk past a corner shop, and if i nip in for a litre of vodka that's alright, surely? 

A litre of vodka a day is probably too much.

Replies From View

Are people honestly still smoking during this time?

Silly billies.

Pingers

Does anyone know what heroin addicts are doing? Are they still going out to score, or are loads of people going into treatment for subutex and methadone?

Given that shoplifting is the main source of income for addicts and the shops are closed, and domestic burglary is out (cos everyone's at home), this will present a challenge.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pingers on March 25, 2020, 07:49:16 AM
Does anyone know what heroin addicts are doing? Are they still going out to score, or are loads of people going into treatment for subutex and methadone?

Given that shoplifting is the main source of income for addicts and the shops are closed, and domestic burglary is out (cos everyone's at home), this will present a challenge.

Subutex combines weeble footballers with electric cars that whizz around a track as you pull a trigger.

Good for anyone, not just people coming off heroin.

Blue Jam

GMTV

Honestly stop the fags right now if you can.

idunnosomename

an easy way of cutting down on fags is simply to drink so much booze you forget to buy any

fatguyranting

'Does anyone know what heroin addicts are doing?'

Most services are still going with the team working from home so no issues with methadone prescriptions as of yet. Might become an issue if pharmacies are unable to staff though.

Puce Moment

Asking long-term smokers to suddenly give up is potentially quite dangerous at this point in time. I would ask smokers to drastically cut down, at least by a third.

GMTV

Quote from: Puce Moment on March 25, 2020, 10:00:00 AM
Asking long-term smokers to suddenly give up is potentially quite dangerous at this point in time. I would ask smokers to drastically cut down, at least by a third.

Aye no bother Matt Hancock

rack and peanut

Smoking and drinking and social distancing at the same time

Pingers

Quote from: Replies From View on March 25, 2020, 07:56:14 AM
Subutex combines weeble footballers with electric cars that whizz around a track as you pull a trigger.

Good for anyone, not just people coming off heroin.

And methadone?

El Unicornio, mang

I only drink socially (so not again for a long while) but I do have a 4-pack of Guinness and a cupboard full of Sherry, Whiskey, etc with 1980s expiry dates which my parents never got rid of, which I might start cracking into depending how things are in a few weeks.

Icehaven

The quandary of how early is too early to start drinking has now changed from twice a week to daily, which could become an issue so telling myself I can only buy booze when I have to go out to buy food might help. I'm also technically supposed to be working from home (although other than checking and replying to emails there's not much I can do) so being pissed if my manager rings me probably isn't a good idea.

chveik

Quote from: Replies From View on March 25, 2020, 07:46:10 AM
Are people honestly still smoking during this time?

addiction, eh? what's that all about?

JarrowMonkey

I just went for a quick walk along a dual cycle path thing near me, a few people around, all practicing social distancing etc, but on the corner where it starts there's a lovely chippy, smells lovely, didn't go in, even though it was empty, feel guilty about thinking of going I, but don't  want to risk others who I'm shopping for

Danger Man

QuoteOff-licences and brewery shops were added to the list of vital retailers allowed to remain open during the coronavirus crisis today.
In a move that will bring cheer to millions of hard-pressed consumers shut-up at home with pubs closed they will be allowed to sell drinks alongside supermarkets.
Licensed shops selling alcohol, including those in breweries, also made the updated list of stores exempted from mass closures in the retail sector.

Lock the thread.

amateur

Bottom line it's all got to get drunk.

Pseudopath

YAAAAAS!

I would link to it, but the article appears to be blank. Good old BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52033260

EDIT: Oh...they fixed it.

Sebastian Cobb

A French guy I know was telling me that they stopped selling booze in Aisnes ("a boooring place with high unemployement etc") to try and mitigate domestic violence, but then later reversed the decision.

Jockice

I have three cans of lager in my fridge (which I bought last September when I had a huge fallout with you know who a few days before my birthday. I bought two four packs and drank a couple two nights and one on the last). I am such a lightweight that counts as heavy drinking for me. The thing is that if I drink I want to smoke too, which means I'd feel the urge to go out and buy some. And having such a low tolerance level, probably crash too or get stopped by the cops. It ain't worth it kids.

And no,  I can't explain why the two things are so closely connected in my head. I rarely drink (and whether I smoke while doing it depends on whether I can scrounge one or two fags off someone) but it always amuses me when my non-smoking friends (some exes, some never smokers) are in the pub saying how stupid smoking is - with a harmful, addictive drug in front of them.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

On a whim I got a can of Perla Mocne, I guess training for the homelessness and substance abuse to come.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Pseudopath on March 25, 2020, 04:35:34 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52033260

QuoteHalfords is covered by the essential retailers list. Boss Graham Stapleton said the chain had "an essential role to play in keeping the country moving".

Oh yes, I suppose it also helps keep the WHEELS OF ECONOMY turning does it? Typical patronising shit from cycle cunts.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Businesses who appeal to remain open despite not meeting the criteria should not just be rejected, but destroyed in controlled explosions.