Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 09:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The ethics of buying booze and fags

Started by Rev+, March 25, 2020, 12:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jasha

Quote from: Pingers on March 25, 2020, 07:49:16 AM
Does anyone know what heroin addicts are doing? Are they still going out to score, or are loads of people going into treatment for subutex and methadone?

Given that shoplifting is the main source of income for addicts and the shops are closed, and domestic burglary is out (cos everyone's at home), this will present a challenge.

2 grams for a bag of conchiglie down Eastgate

Shoulders?-Stomach!

You have to call it conchiglie-wiggly.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Jockice on March 25, 2020, 05:11:12 PM
I have three cans of lager in my fridge (which I bought last September when I had a huge fallout with you know who a few days before my birthday. I bought two four packs and drank a couple two nights and one on the last). I am such a lightweight that counts as heavy drinking for me. The thing is that if I drink I want to smoke too, which means I'd feel the urge to go out and buy some. And having such a low tolerance level, probably crash too or get stopped by the cops. It ain't worth it kids.

And no,  I can't explain why the two things are so closely connected in my head. I rarely drink (and whether I smoke while doing it depends on whether I can scrounge one or two fags off someone) but it always amuses me when my non-smoking friends (some exes, some never smokers) are in the pub saying how stupid smoking is - with a harmful, addictive drug in front of them.

Out of curiosity, what is the law regarding being pissed on a mobility scooter? I ask because I was speaking to a friend from my old stomping ground recently and two of the older regulars have got them now apparently (one COPD, one is massively overweight with knackered knees). One of them never really got pissed but the other one would be 'allowed' to the pub for a couple of hours and end up smashing 8 pints.

idunnosomename

I imagine its like bikes where there is no specific offence but you could be done for drunk and disorderly or whatever

Edit oh fuck tgat
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/8-9/16/part/I/crossheading/offences-connected-with-riding-of-pedal-cycles/enacted?view=plain

El Unicornio, mang

In a lot of American states you're not even allowed to walk home if you're drunk. If you're drinking alcohol you need to stay in the private place or bar you're drinking or get a ride to the next place you're going or you're getting thrown in jail for public intoxication.

imitationleather

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 26, 2020, 12:23:21 PM
In a lot of American states you're not even allowed to walk home if you're drunk. If you're drinking alcohol you need to stay in the private place or bar you're drinking or get a ride to the next place you're going or you're getting thrown in jail for public intoxication.

Sounds like a bit of a ballache for absolutely everyone involved.

Sebastian Cobb

Even if you're minding your own business? In the UK there's drunk and disorderly and breach of the peace, which have narrow enough definitions they could be used for anything but in practice are only used when someone's being a pain in the arse.

Penalising people just for being drunk on foot seems like a great way to discourage it as a sensible alternative to driving home drunk.

Danger Man

Like Dubai, then.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Danger Man on March 26, 2020, 12:29:36 PM
Like Dubai, then.

Dubai makes slightly more sense as it's really just a loophole for Westerners to be allowed to drink in their hotels isn't it?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 26, 2020, 12:29:18 PM
Even if you're minding your own business?

Yes, just being drunk is enough. It's kind of like if you expose yourself. It doesn't matter if you're minding your own business, people can still see that you're exposing yourself. They want people looking like they've had a few in designated places or their own homes. But it's generally states like Georgia and Virginia where everyone drives to everywhere anyway. And you definitely can't have alcohol in any public place like a park or beach, in any state.

Walking into Starbucks with an assault rifle slung over your shoulder, totes fine.

idunnosomename

For the land of the free america sounds like a right load puritanical shite

bgmnts

Quote from: idunnosomename on March 26, 2020, 12:49:33 PM
For the land of the free america sounds like a right load puritanical shite

As if it was founded by puritans!

idunnosomename

fucking con, america. not sure why so many people fall for it

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on March 26, 2020, 12:40:11 PM
And you definitely can't have alcohol in any public place like a park or beach, in any state.

Not even in a paper bag?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on March 26, 2020, 01:01:56 PM
Not even in a paper bag?

You can carry alcohol in a paper bag in a public place, but you can't drink it in a public place. They're very strict on alcohol. A couple of years ago when I lived in the US, I gave a 20-year old a beer in my house. Technically I could have been arrested for that.

SpiderChrist

What about Nepalese temple ball? Is it OK to buy that?

idunnosomename

the common cormorant, or shag, hides its booze in a paper bag