Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Popular Directors Who Important Work Was Outside of Directing?

Started by MortSahlFan, March 25, 2020, 01:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MortSahlFan

But preferably, still movie related.

I was about to turn my computer off, but thought of this while I was finishing up a documentary on George Stevens and it sprung up this idea. I haven't given it much thought, but the first example was Martin Scorsese's work on restoring movies.

Blumf

Plenty of director/actors; Welles, Allen, Herzog, Cassavetes, etc.

How about Howard Hughes?

Urinal Cake

Paul Schrader? He had a popular hit with American Gigolo but really he's a screenwriter- Taxi Driver, Raging Bull etc.

Noodle Lizard

Steven Knight of Locke, Taboo, Peaky Blinders fame was one of the creators of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. That's his important work.

I hear Tom Ford of Nocturnal Animals fame also made some T-shirts.

greenman

Walter Murch directed Return to Oz but probably better known for sound and editing on stuff like The Godfather, Apoc Now, etc

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

George Lucas? Disney didn't give him four billion dollars for his directorial skills.

It doesn't remotely overshadow his film work, but Cyril Endfield, of Zulu fame, also invented a miniature word processor: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microwriter

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Blumf on March 25, 2020, 03:21:14 AM
Plenty of director/actors; Welles, Allen, Herzog, Cassavetes, etc.

How about Howard Hughes?
Good example.

chveik

Jerzy Bondov

James Cameron found a bunch of old shit in the bottom of the sea

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Urinal Cake on March 25, 2020, 03:34:59 AM
Paul Schrader? He had a popular hit with American Gigolo but really he's a screenwriter- Taxi Driver, Raging Bull etc.

He's a fine writer. He basically directed "Taxi Driver" with his descriptive script. Robert De Niro played the part perfectly, also.

Fine director, too.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: chveik on March 25, 2020, 01:01:36 PM
Ridley Scott and his ads

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 25, 2020, 01:13:58 PM
The ads that he directed?

You could say his production design and camera work - despite generally only being credited as a producer and director, on MOST of his films he's still a principal designer and (like Malick, Soderbergh, Michael Mann and occasionally Spielberg) regularly operates the camera, even though he's not credited.  Most people would agree (whether it's a positive thing or a criticism) that the look and feel of Scott's films is what makes them a Scott film, rather than the direction.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on March 25, 2020, 05:39:34 AM
Steven Knight of Locke, Taboo, Peaky Blinders fame was one of the creators of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. That's his important work.

I hear Tom Ford of Nocturnal Animals fame also made some T-shirts.

Surely his most important work was co-writing Jasper Carrott's The Detectives? Loved that when I was a kid.

Shaky

dissolute ocelot

Rob Zombie, Madonna, and Fred Durst have all directed films. Of those, only Zombie could claim to be popular, at least in a horror niche.

Or what about former Young British Artists Steve McQueen and Sam Taylor-Johnson? The latter directed 50 Shades of Gray but will hopefully be better known for other things.

Herk Harvey who directed Carnival of Souls had a day job as boss of an industrial film company and expanded to building his own studio.

Elem Klimov of Come And See fame became a communist bureaucrat under Gorbachev.

Romanian director Sergiu Nicolaescu was active in the 1989 revolution and became a politician and Senator.

Quite a few directors later became teachers. Douglas Sirk comes to mind; when the melodramas dried up, he moved back to West Germany and taught filmmaking.