Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you doing with your free time? (hobby suggestions welcome).

Started by Kryton, March 25, 2020, 04:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryton

I've realised I've underestimated my food supply - So I'll have to figure something out soon. But I'm ok for about two weeks.

I've been playing Stellaris, Rocket League and Terraria as distractions. Also dug out my Xbox 360 and N64 for emergencies.

Been emailing and messaging people for comfort and made a few calls (family, friends). But this has been tough for my anxiety.

Standing in the garden bored but enjoying the sun. Watched a bloke all not arsed fixing his roof and occasionally shouting down to his missus. Considering having a big tidy up tomorrow so I can feel a bit more oganised.

And I've also been dabbling with a little bit of acrylic painting, and also 3d modelling in Blender whilst listening to rock music, which has been good for the soul.

Besides sleeping, eating and watching the news and reading reddit and Cab and such, that's pretty much my life right now.

What about you lot?

chveik

Played some old adventure games. I just completed Beavis and Butt-Head in Virtual Stupidity, which, overall, wasn't a very good game. There were many illogical puzzles and I had to resort to a guide. I can see why the game is largely forgotten. I'm currently playing Discworld 2.

Been reading comics again. I read the first 15 issues of Silver Age Fantastic Four - childish, but fun. I read some Daniel Clowes stuff, which was a laugh. I once again attempted Robert Crumb, which was not a laugh. I am now sure he's not for me. I also read Martin Rowson's adaptation of Gulliver's Travels. It was okay, if a bit broad. You'd expect a vaunted Guardian cartoonist to be clever, but a lot of it is literally toilet humour.

I read some Angela Carter stories. She's pretty good, might read more.

I read some of Le Morte d'Arthur. Not that good, probably won't read more.

thenoise

Quote from: Default to the negative on March 25, 2020, 07:33:42 AMI'm currently playing Discworld 2.
Talking of illogical puzzles.

I've made some marmalade and some chutney, as a local cafe left a load of their leftover produce on their doorstep with a facebook message 'help yourselves'.  They had a whole box of fancy pants mushrooms too, which I regret not picking up, I could have googled what on earth to do with them.

I had a few nanoblock puzzles left from Christmas, which I enjoyed making up.  Been making some music, cooking, cleaning etc.  Ringing my parents every day to make sure they are doing ok, even though they don't go out that much anyway. 

Not gone mad yet.  I probably should get dressed a bit more often though.

Replies From View

Quote from: thenoise on March 25, 2020, 07:53:29 AM
I've made some marmalade and some chutney, as a local cafe left a load of their leftover produce on their doorstep with a facebook message 'help yourselves'.

Do the government really need to put out an official bulletin telling people that it's not advisable to eat Doorstep Chutney during this outbreak?

thenoise

It was a box of tomatoes, and I washed them and boiled them for 2 hours in vinegar and sugar.  It's probably safer than literally everything you eat.

*sulks*

Emma Raducanu

Quote from: Kryton on March 25, 2020, 04:11:51 AM
Watched a bloke all not arsed fixing his roof and occasionally shouting down to his missus.

He's okay to fix his roof though isn't he? I ordered the materials to fix my bay window guttering/flat roof, which I had previously been given quotes for. I thought of this time as an opportunity to do it myself, saving a small fortune. But I hope the neighbours won't think I'm a twat for doing so.

In my house otherwise, my partner is working all day from home, so I'm full time parenting for 10 hours a day before, spending the evening cleaning, tidying and cooking the dinner. I'm way busier now than I used to be. If I had time for new hobbies, I would splurge on a nice piano and spend time on that. I also have Rosetta Stone for learning languages which the fantasist in me imagines using but in honesty, I'd probably get bored after 10 minutes.

I am enjoying cooking though; normally I'm exhausted after work and can't be arsed. I've started getting concerned about not being able to shop in the supermarket in coming weeks for more than a few basics, so Im wondering about decent 'store-cupboard' recipes that don't rely too much on fresh ingredients. Ottolenghi has a nice one for Pearl Barley and feta risotto and I love spanakorizo.

Kryton

Quote from: DolphinFace on March 25, 2020, 08:19:14 AM
He's okay to fix his roof though isn't he?

Yeah. Just highlighting a particular point of boredom of my day.

Blue Jam

Dex Sawash

Been building an upper level on a boat trailer so it can carry two boats and also store 2 in the space of 1 in the garage. Really concentrating extra hard to determine which boat should go on top which is the critical decision in the design stage. Might just do a CaB poll

Puce Moment

Writing and playing the violin badly. Watching as many old films as I can.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: Replies From View on March 25, 2020, 07:58:58 AM
Making stuff with polymer clay.

Heck yeah I've got a load of Fimo somewhere. Also got some magnets. So I'm gonna make some bitchin fridge magnets I reckon.

Anyone wanna make some suggestions on what I should make? I have already posited the idea of an ANUS MAGNET to my girlfriend but she says we are "not having that on our fridge", so unfortunately that's the best option ruled out.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: alan nagsworth on March 25, 2020, 11:38:26 AM
Heck yeah I've got a load of Fimo somewhere. Also got some magnets. So I'm gonna make some bitchin fridge magnets I reckon.

Anyone wanna make some suggestions on what I should make? I have already posited the idea of an ANUS MAGNET to my girlfriend but she says we are "not having that on our fridge", so unfortunately that's the best option ruled out.

Wall demon, obvs

earl_sleek

Mainly learning how to install Arch Linux. I wanna finish mixing some tracks I've been working in for a while, do some tidying, and hopefully fit in some drinking heavily while playing Morrowind and Dwarf Fortress as well.

Dex Sawash

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I suppose I could finally sort through and process my holiday photos from October. It might just be depressing, though.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on March 25, 2020, 02:17:20 PM
I suppose I could finally sort through and process my holiday photos from October. It might just be depressing, though.

Shit holiday with wall to wall arguments and hate wanks?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The weather was rotten half the time and the children were occasionally bratty. The annoying bits don't seem so bad now though.

Ferris

Baking, cooking & freezing, tidying, constructing forts out of blankets, ostensibly working.

QDRPHNC

Icehaven

Mostly staring sadly out of the window at the best weather we've had since last summer. It's about 18 degrees, beautiful blue skies and a gentle breeze here, absolutely gutting having to stay in. Normally I'd just be finishing work now and strolling towards pub garden, bah.

Blue Jam

Just did one of those free Les Mills workouts- 30-minute Barre, the ballet-inspired one. Needed two small weights and all I had to hand were two one-litre cartons of Alpro, but that worked out fine.

If someone had told me five years ago that I would one day be prancing about in front of my telly doing ballet while waving two cartons of vegan plant milk about I would have believed them less than I would have believed that there'd be a deadly pandemic.

Bloody knackering it was as well. Will try and keep it up.

shiftwork2

Interesting.  'The Gym', which to its credit froze membership toot sweet after Monday's announcement, is planning some virtual gym shit to keep the customer pacified satisfied.  Hasn't emerged yet but there's potentially some mileage in 'using your own bodyweight' exercises for these weeks or months.

bgmnts

Mine have not frozen mine. Utter scumbags, nobody use Simply Gym, ever.

shiftwork2

Just cancel your direct debit with your bank and say fuck off adios, surely?  As a punter I think you'll find you are currently king.

Shit Good Nose

A couple of mates are doing the PE with Jo with their kids, and both say it's a proper workout.  One of them says he's going to sack off his gym membership and just carry on doing these Joe Wicks vids (which are all free apparently).