Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:49:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What are you doing with your free time? (hobby suggestions welcome).

Started by Kryton, March 25, 2020, 04:11:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Also interesting.  A bit of clarification for the olds and the shut-ins - this Wicks, he's not the grandson of a character out of Eastenders?  What is his provenance then?

NoSleep

Been playing PSX games on an emulator (FFIX at the moment). And I've noticed online games are much busier than usual; I play Urban Terror (Q3A Mod) and see servers filling up in the morning instead of later in the afternoon. I haven't checked if the same is happening on Guild Wars 2 (as I got a bit tired of the main game) but I remember the versus modes were a lot of fun and didn't really spend enough time familiarising myself on those.

And I've started a thread in Oscillations about NINJAM, which is a way (via REAPER) for musicians to play together live online; imagine a band where the guitarists are in Japan and India, the drummer is in France, the bass player (me) in the UK and the keyboard player is in Russia; well I don't have to imagine it as I've done it.
It's the best online game of them all.
I'm hoping some more CaBbers might be interested as I can set up a private server and we can make a spontaneous album together (and even mix it later, such is the software).

And I might get Aelita: The Music Video (album available here: https://cookdandbombdcollective.bandcamp.com ) completed and uploaded to YouTube. Here's the original (unfinished) draft of the film: https://tinyurl.com/y5yhh36k

bgmnts

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 25, 2020, 06:41:36 PM
Just cancel your direct debit with your bank and say fuck off adios, surely?  As a punter I think you'll find you are currently king.

No chance, the company they use to collect payments are like bailiffs in their cuntery. They'll hit me with mental fees.

paruses

Quote from: bgmnts on March 25, 2020, 07:51:33 PM
No chance, the company they use to collect payments are like bailiffs in their cuntery. They'll hit me with mental fees.

Isn't it a contract though and they are not meeting their side of the contract which is providing a service/allowing you access to their facilities which you are paying for?

I know very little about the law.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: shiftwork2 on March 25, 2020, 06:51:17 PM
Also interesting.  A bit of clarification for the olds and the shut-ins - this Wicks, he's not the grandson of a character out of Eastenders?  What is his provenance then?

No idea - never seen a single episode of Eastenders.

Joe Wicks calls himself a "body coach" I believe, but as far as I know he's a personal trainer and health "guru" who is massively popular with kids cos he's all enthusiastic and matey and massively popular with mums cos...well, just look at him.

All that reads as immediate CaB hate fodder, but loads of people I know have completely changed their minds about him during all this madness and he's starting to become a bit of a low level hero (I THINK he was the first British media type to say he was going to do something for everyone completely for free [he's not monetising these vids at all so I'm told]).

Sooooo.....I dunno, take all that however you will.

Blue Jam

Joe Wicks is annoying as fuck though.

My gym immediately froze all customers' direct debits and sent us all the link to those Les Mills workouts. They then sent out another email because lots of customers apparently wanted to keep paying their membership fees and they sent us all instructions on how to do this.

See? That's how customers respond when gyms are nice to them... but my gym is Edinburgh Leisure, which is a not-for-profit, so I guess they're a bit different.

imitationleather

Dunno about anyone else, but I'm getting really into reading about astrology stuff.

bgmnts

Thinking about a long walk up the canal tomorrow or Sunday, see if I can find any wildlife. Is walking a hobby? Dunno.

QDRPHNC

Uncle TechTip

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 25, 2020, 03:19:40 PM
I've been wanting to get a shortwave radio.

In case you weren't aware, Google websdr to find online shortwave radios, this might be enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Ferris

Buelligan

I just have to tell you, got no one else to tell.  Just did some tiling here.  Fucking hell

It only looks amazing.  I found these boxes of weird old whitish tiles, they looked handmade.  Just plain white but none of them quite the same colour or shape.  Never used.  Left here when I arrived.  I've meant to use them for years, thought they were wonderful but then thought, maybe I'm crazy and they're appalling.  Anyway, had some tile glue and a tile saw handy and just thought, fuck it, I hate the way my washing area looks.  I am doing it, if it looks shit, it won't look much shitter than it does.

I bit that bullet.  I felt inspired by the beautiful pangolin.  Anyway, done it (not all finished but a big area) stood back and thought, if that's not a fucking beautiful wabi-sabi pangolin I do not know what is.  It doesn't look like any washing area I've ever seen.  To say I'm satisfied would be a massive understatement.  Wish I had a camera and could show you.  I am happy.

imitationleather

People born under the sign of Libra are peaceful, fair, and they hate being alone. Partnership is very important for them, as their mirror and someone giving them the ability to be the mirror themselves. These individuals are fascinated by balance and symmetry, they are in a constant chase for justice and equality, realizing through life that the only thing that should be truly important to themselves in their own inner core of personality. This is someone ready to do nearly anything to avoid conflict, keeping the peace whenever possible.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: QDRPHNC on March 27, 2020, 03:07:17 PM
Got me a shortwave radio.

That's where The Truth about things is broadcast. No going back to normal sources.

Danger Man

Quote from: imitationleather on March 27, 2020, 04:05:14 PM
People born under the sign of Libra are peaceful, fair, and they hate being alone. Partnership is very important for them, as their mirror and someone giving them the ability to be the mirror themselves. These individuals are fascinated by balance and symmetry, they are in a constant chase for justice and equality, realizing through life that the only thing that should be truly important to themselves in their own inner core of personality. This is someone ready to do nearly anything to avoid conflict, keeping the peace whenever possible.

Virgos of either gender tend to be a bit inhibited about sex. Many are self-conscious about their bodies and are a little too nervous to be open to passion. With a Taurus man, however, it will be easy for a Virgo woman to relax and surrender to the moment. A Taurus man is gentle and tender, as well as being quite sensual. He is happy to take things slowly, which will help her to relax. A Taurus man is also very patient with the hesitations and insecurities of his partner and will not rush her or push in any way.

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on March 27, 2020, 04:05:14 PM

I think I'm a Libra and this is utter bollocks so I'd say you are on the right track cosmologically speaking!

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on March 27, 2020, 03:13:27 PM
In case you weren't aware, Google websdr to find online shortwave radios, this might be enough to satisfy your curiosity.

Yeah! I want to pick up a little SDR dongle thing too. I do find it all quite fascinating, but part of the reason I picked up the radio I did (a Sony ICF-5800, pictured below) was because I'm also a sucker for vintage audio equipment, and Sony made some beautiful stuff. I have a couple of their microcassette recorders too (the stand-out being a mint condition M-100), and a TC-55, which was the precursor to the Walkman.

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on March 27, 2020, 03:14:06 PM
Can you listen in to police radio and give call signs to truckers?

Not yet, the pickings are slim because it's 2020 and I don't have a honking big antenna, but I did pick up Dr. Wong in Texas telling me that I need to fight the Coronavirus with Activated Oxygen tablets from his web site. Also a preacher in Ohio giving it some of the old fire and brimstone this morning. Picking up tons of Mexican stations for some reason.

Ferris

I'm amazed people are still broadcasting! Very cool.

(10-4 good buddy)

bgmnts

Now i want to get a fucking cb radio, for no reason other than to say breaker breaker rubber duck.

imitationleather

Quote from: Danger Man on March 27, 2020, 05:02:34 PM
Virgos of either gender tend to be a bit inhibited about sex. Many are self-conscious about their bodies and are a little too nervous to be open to passion. With a Taurus man, however, it will be easy for a Virgo woman to relax and surrender to the moment. A Taurus man is gentle and tender, as well as being quite sensual. He is happy to take things slowly, which will help her to relax. A Taurus man is also very patient with the hesitations and insecurities of his partner and will not rush her or push in any way.

The sexual relationship between a Virgo and a Libra just doesn't seem like a good choice. Virgo is an Earth sign ruled by Mercury, relying highly on their intellect, while bringing Venus to its fall. Libra is an Air sign ruled by Venus, and couldn't be more distant from Virgo's shy nature or practicality when it comes to sex. They will probably be driven crazy by each other, one of them trying obsessively to keep things clean and looking as if they were scared of any emotional contact, and the other strict in their search for spiritual love and a partner they can really talk to.

Most often, they are not even attracted to each other, and when they do begin a sexual relationship they have to face the challenge of speed. Virgo will want to move slowly, and even though their mutable quality makes them pretty adaptable, it is often not enough to reach Libra's speed of Air. They might find a middle though, when Libra relies on their exaltation of Saturn and slows down, while Virgo adapts and changes more quickly.

If they find their perfect timing, both partners might still end up unsatisfied. Virgo was expecting a fairytale connection seeing the image Libra shows and they will find so many faults in their partner's approach. Libra's self-esteem doesn't really tolerate that much criticism and they will probably see Virgo as boring, stiff and unaware of any emotional connection they wanted to make. For this sexual relationship to work, they need to coordinate the emotions they give and receive. Only then will they be able to satisfy each other.

Danger Man

I should point out that I'm a Taurus and your mum's a Virgo.

imitationleather

The relationship between Taurus and Libra has a special kick to it, since both signs are ruled by Venus, but represent its completely different characteristics. While Taurus loves to be comfortable and relies on their sense of touch and taste, Libra will want everything pretty and rely on their eyesight and the sense of smell. They do connect in a way, but in most cases they have this different approach to Venus as a planet of sexual pleasure.

The main difference between these signs is in their exalting planet. Taurus exalts the Moon and Libra exalts Saturn. It is like they adore opposite things and while Taurus will care for emotions and tenderness in a sexual relationship, Libra will rely on its depth and good timing. It will not be easy for them to understand what the other person wants and they could both end up seeming needy to one another – Taurus to Libra because of their emotional neediness and Libra to Taurus because of their physical one.

However different they might be, they are still two signs ruled by Venus and can be fairly attracted to each other. As a feminine and a masculine sign, they could mend their differences and try to learn about "the other side of Venus" instead of expecting the impossible from one another. They are both gentle lovers who like their relationships without stress and drama, so with enough patience they could be a really good fit.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Dex Sawash on March 27, 2020, 05:00:51 PM
That's where The Truth about things is broadcast. No going back to normal sources.

But unfortunately I don't have a one-time-pad.

Thomas

Despite having all of human culture + Cats (2019) available to me (see Culture consumed in quarantine), and having spent a lovely sunny afternoon reading out on the patio, I've begun to feel an untraceable, unpleasant swell-ball of anxiety in my chest. Perhaps I actually like leaving the house and hanging out with friends at pubs. Can't believe I'm beginning to suffer Cooped-Up Syndrome so early.

Ray Travez

Learning about financial markets, economics and the history of money. You can extrapolate the data to fit the present financial situation and get your very own swell-ball of anxiety in your chest.

Thomas

I've retrospectively traced my afternoon of anxiety to a rum and coke I had. False alarm. Cooped-Up Syndrome still a long way off. I'll wait a few weeks before learning about financial markets, economics, and the history of money, though.

Kryton

Quote from: Thomas on March 29, 2020, 01:27:11 PM
I've retrospectively traced my afternoon of anxiety to a rum and coke I had. False alarm. Cooped-Up Syndrome still a long way off. I'll wait a few weeks before learning about financial markets, economics, and the history of money, though.

You're doing drinking wrong.

Buelligan

Quote from: Thomas on March 29, 2020, 01:27:11 PM

Having no anxiety, is there something wrong with me..?    >:\