Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:29:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Stuart Gordon - R.I.P.

Started by Head Gardener, March 25, 2020, 11:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Glebe

petercussing

Nooo, i heart(ed) the that Gordon. Even stuff like king of the ants to a degree, a good first watch with gritty violence doing. He could be patchy but made great stuffs

beanheadmcginty

Names that make you immediately think of The Police.

Only saw Re-Animator, but it's a solid legacy, lots of film-obsessed teenagers have their moment with that one where you see it late at night and say "they can do that in a film?"

Crabwalk

I was so into Robot Jox on VHS when I was about 12.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUxDmKFCD2o

Check out the facemasks. We are living in Robot Jox world now.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I watched Robot Jox not long ago. Good fun, if a little cheesy, maybe. Sort of like Robocop meets Power Rangers or something. It's on UK Netflix currently.

A rundown of his filmography here. I was surprised to learn that he developed and was originally slated to direct Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

phantom_power

From Beyond is another crazy Lovecraft adaptation he directed, with Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.

Egyptian Feast

His first two movies are classics and Dagon was decent enough as far as I remember, but looking at his filmography there's a load of movies I saw hanging around video store shelves for years and never got around to renting. I didn't know he'd directed a lot of them, but I did know about his kid's film The Wonderful Ice Cream Suit. There was one copy in the video store I worked at in the early 2000s and nobody ever rented it. It looks pretty good, might try to seek it out.

I'm curious about Space Truckers as well because I remember when it was being filmed in Ireland in the mid 90s. I never got around to seeing it, but I was assured by everyone who had that it was shite and I know their taste in movies.

Jim Bob

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on March 26, 2020, 08:41:57 PM
I'm curious about Space Truckers as well because I remember when it was being filmed in Ireland in the mid 90s. I never got around to seeing it, but I was assured by everyone who had that it was shite and I know their taste in movies.

I like Space Truckers.  A fair amount of that may be due to nostalgia, mind, as I first saw it with my family at the cinema, when I was a kid.  If nothing else, it's worth seeing for the Square Pigs ("for a square meal!") and Charles Dance with a pull cord operated cock.

Sin Agog

Quote from: phantom_power on March 26, 2020, 06:53:18 PM
From Beyond is another crazy Lovecraft adaptation he directed, with Jeffrey Combs and Barbara Crampton.

If there's a better Lovecraftian film out there, I've not seen it, and I probably run a google search for 'Lovecraftian films' at least once a month.

bgmnts

He directed Robot Jox.

'Nuff said.

Ignatius_S

Shame to hear, very fond of Gordon's work, particularly the Lovecraft related work.

Edmond was a real miss for me, but mainly going to blame Mamet for that. King of the Ants on the other hand, I thought was an excellent adaptation.

Rabba

A bit late to post, just joined the forum!

Sad to hear he had passed, from Re-Animator to Dagon, always enjoyed his work.

Hand Solo

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 26, 2020, 10:24:03 PM
If there's a better Lovecraftian film out there, I've not seen it, and I probably run a google search for 'Lovecraftian films' at least once a month.

Thought this was quite decent, similar in tone but was more of a mashup of Re-Animator/From Beyond and a few other movies.

Rabba

The Void was a great film, the making of documentary is well worth a watch. They had a fair few challenges getting it out the gate. Loved the practical effects, some great visuals.

Head Gardener

Blimey, I'd never heard of The Void, that's tonight's movie sorted then, cheers!

phantom_power

The Void is great but like a lot of Lovecraftian films it seems to focus on tentacles and cults when it is the cosmic horror angle that is more interesting. The only thing I have seen that comes close to that is parts of True Detective season 1, though From Beyond comes pretty close before just being about a big gloopy monster