Author Topic: Government coronavirus response thread  (Read 260 times)

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
Government coronavirus response thread
« on: March 25, 2020, 12:25:49 PM »
Corbyn is doing a good job of holding the government to account in PMQs, unlike most of the media.

I thought it might be worth having a thread for discussion of the government's venal response to the coronavirus. They have seen what has happened in many other countries and have left lockdown far too late and have allowed lots of non-essential businesses e.g. hand car washes to carry on. They should be bringing in a windfall tax on the UK's super-rich to bring in UBI for all and ensuring the self-employed don't lose money during the lockdown.

They also need to stop playing politics with the Tube network and make it easier to keep non-essential workers off public transport.

Re: Government coronavirus response thread
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 12:48:49 PM »
Can't believe that airports are still operating, seemingly as normal, including shitloads of flights from Italy. Mental.

Fambo Number Mive

• Golden Member
Re: Government coronavirus response thread
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:40:59 PM »
Off-licences have been added to the government's list of essential UK retailers allowed to stay open during the coronavirus pandemic.

The list was updated on Wednesday amid increasing reports of supermarkets are selling out some beers and wines...

Not sure how to feel about this, I suppose many people are addicted to alcohol so it helps them get their "fix", but I don't think people should have to go into work to sell booze to people.

Tags: