Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:37:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Government coronavirus response thread

Started by Fambo Number Mive, March 25, 2020, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EOLAN

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 14, 2020, 03:02:49 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/14/coronavirus-uk-ireland-delay

Had a former Sinn Fein Supporting colleague; who moved to England and is now a member of the Conservative and Unionist party; put a link to that. And his only addition was a bloody Irish tricolour flag.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: EOLAN on April 14, 2020, 03:53:43 PM
Had a former Sinn Fein Supporting colleague; who moved to England and is now a member of the Conservative and Unionist party; put a link to that. And his only addition was a bloody Irish tricolour flag.

I hope you forwarded his post with CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

Johnny Yesno

Fuck me. There's still non essential construction sites open all over the UK: https://twitter.com/DanJDobson/status/1249281388857241600

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on April 14, 2020, 05:49:44 PM
Fuck me. There's still non essential construction sites open all over the UK: https://twitter.com/DanJDobson/status/1249281388857241600

Boris returning to work next week with "Britain is OPEN FOR BUSINESS"

Small Man Big Horse

I thought this might be interest (though I could be very, very wrong) but every June I have an appointment at the Sleep Apnea clinic where they go "Do you still have sleep apnea" and I say "Yes, look at my Cpap machine" and then they go "Oh yeah, fuck, you got it bad baby" and if anything needs replacing they do so. But today I received an email saying my appointment in June had been cancelled, which suggests to me that the lockdown will still be in effect until then, or if it's aspects of it have been lifted they still don't want people visiting the hospital unless they absolutely have to.

Jokes on them however, as my mask is on the edge of falling apart and I'll probably have to visit them far sooner than June, during which time I'll no doubt get the virus and die.

Anyhow, again, it might not be interesting, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.

steveh

So after ignoring British ventilator manufacturers and ignoring the EU ventilator scheme then giving contracts to a bunch of cronies instead, it turns out those ventilators aren't going to be of any use:

The minimum specification for the UK's homegrown hospital ventilator programme will not produce machines suitable for treating coronavirus patients, the head of the largest organisation for critical care medical professionals has said.

Alison Pittard, the dean of the Faculty of Intensive Care Medicine, the professional body for intensive care practitioners, said the government's request for ventilators that would — at a minimum — stabilise patients "for a few hours" was not in line with what was requested by medical experts last month.

Dr Pittard, who was among a group of medical experts who advised on minimum specifications for ventilators in early March, said the professionals had asked for devices that would work for the duration of a Covid-19 patient's stay in intensive care.

"If we had been told that that was the case, that the ventilators were only to treat a patient for a few hours. we'd have said: 'Don't bother, you're wasting your time. That's of no use whatsoever'," she said.

https://www.ft.com/content/365529f8-bff3-41d2-949f-d0eedff0cfbb

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on April 14, 2020, 06:35:25 PM
I thought this might be interest (though I could be very, very wrong) but every June I have an appointment at the Sleep Apnea clinic where they go "Do you still have sleep apnea" and I say "Yes, look at my Cpap machine" and then they go "Oh yeah, fuck, you got it bad baby" and if anything needs replacing they do so. But today I received an email saying my appointment in June had been cancelled, which suggests to me that the lockdown will still be in effect until then, or if it's aspects of it have been lifted they still don't want people visiting the hospital unless they absolutely have to.

Jokes on them however, as my mask is on the edge of falling apart and I'll probably have to visit them far sooner than June, during which time I'll no doubt get the virus and die.

Anyhow, again, it might not be interesting, but I thought I'd mention it anyhow.

CPAP generates aerosol which is why they are reluctant to use it as a treatment with covid. I don't see why they can't send you a mask if you ask them to though.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on April 15, 2020, 03:08:53 PM
CPAP generates aerosol which is why they are reluctant to use it as a treatment with covid. I don't see why they can't send you a mask if you ask them to though.

I just found it odd that they cancelled it with six weeks still to go. And from past experience something has to break before they replace it (which always leads to a fantastic sleepless night beforehand) but I think I'm going to try and see if they'll send me a replacement as it'll be a huge weight off my mind if they do.

jobotic

Not all heroes wear stupid little badegs but this one does.

QuoteHancock, the health secretary, rejected suggestions that ministers should follow their New Zealand counterparts and take a 20% pay cut during the crisis. Asked about this suggestion, Hancock said:
Everybody needs to do their bit, and the way I am doing my bit is working every hour God sends.

Pressed on taking a pay cut, he said:

I'm not proposing to do that, but what I am proposing to do is work every hour that there is.

He defended the decision not to routinely test people arriving in the UK at airports. Only around 15,000 people a day were flying into the country, he said. He went on:
At the current rate of transmission here, the scientists say that the epidemiological impact of keeping the travel open is very small, because there's already large transmission here.

bgmnts

Haha cunts.

Just imagine if every politician, sportsperson, ceo, executive etc took just a 20% paycut.

Fucking paradise on earth.

Uncle TechTip

No 20% cut, but he's working 20% harder, so it all works out. If only the rest of us could be so flexible.

BlodwynPig

Norton Canes

Close Distanced Encounters of the Third Kind

Jasha

One thousand and nine hundred and twelvty four according to Priti Patel

Fambo Number Mive

The people who take on the role of the government should be held to account for the decisions they make, especially during a pandemic. That should be part of becoming a government minister. Instead the Tory base is getting annoyed at any criticism of the government and the media are mostly acting like they have come for a three course meal at a top hotel and don't want to offend the owner when they decide plum jam is off the menu. The fact that the media is mostly owned or regulated by the 1% is probably a large part of this.

Fambo Number Mive

BBC not reporting this:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/medical-staff-uk-gov-failing-protect-poll-200416094851421.html

Quote...The Institute for Public Policy Research (IPPR) and YouGov surveyed 996 healthcare professionals across the country from April 2 to April 7, including doctors, nurses and other allied health professionals.

Three-quarters of respondents were concerned that the government was putting their health at risk, and a third report their physical health has deteriorated since the COVID-19 crisis began.

The findings were particularly stark in London, where 80 percent of health workers said the government had not done enough to provide personal protective equipment (PPE) and test them to prevent the spread of infection in hospitals and care homes...

kalowski

Email from a local restaurant
QuoteAs tough as the current climate is we just want to reassure you ALL we're 100% confident we'll be re-opening our doors and doing what we were born to do.

The truth is this right now the promises we've all heard from government haven't (as yet) materialised. If it happens great, it'll massively help us but if it doesn't we'll find a way, we always do.
Note how they drop in the non fulfilled promises.

idunnosomename

i dont mind 3 more weeks of quarantine, but i resent dominic raab telling me about it

Fambo Number Mive

The Health Commute is hearing evidence on the Governments handling of the coronavirus, which can be watched on BBC Paraliment live now. They appear to be doing it from their own homes.

Butchers Blind

So what's the best case scenario after three weeks?  Schools go back but in a limited capacity?  Some non-essential workers are allowed back?  How is this softly-softly approach going to work?

jobotic

I don't think schools will go back before late June, if it all before summer holidays.

Zetetic

My son's teacher thinks it's very unlikely that schools will reopen until September.

kalowski

Quote from: Butchers Blind on April 17, 2020, 03:25:52 PM
So what's the best case scenario after three weeks?  Schools go back but in a limited capacity?  Some non-essential workers are allowed back?  How is this softly-softly approach going to work?
I can't picture this limited capacity I read about. Some idiot suggested schools go back and just socially isolate in lessons and a break time. What a fucking dummy, you couldn't get more than about 8 kids in a classroom without breaking the 2m rule.

Sebastian Cobb

They've already binned the exams haven't they. People in other years would be winding down then anyway.

buttgammon

I work in a university in Ireland and we're operating under the assumption that the next year won't start until around November. The circumstances are different to the UK, though, because the leaving cert (A level equivalent) is still supposed to be going ahead late in the summer, so the likelihood is we will have to wait for the next intake of first years to be ready before we get going again.

In UK terms, I don't see the schools opening until the autumn now; with exams off, it's a lost cause.

Johnny Yesno